What's new

Need help figuring out my Demarc to get Internet back upstairs.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

donnjuan

New Around Here
Need some help, please. Before I can set up MoCA adapters, per the pics I attached, I need to remove the Directv line and plug the Spectrum line back in. I no longer use Directv, the the line with the orange stripe is a future fiber line that hasn't been dropped into neighborhood yet. Windstream is the DSL line that I also no longer use. Bedroom on first floor has live Spectrum coax and that is where my modem and mesh router currently sit. Can anyone help with what I should pull and what I should reconnect?

Attachments

• IMG_20240420_143932052_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240420_143932052_HDR.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240420_143935646_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240420_143935646_HDR.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240420_143940876_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240420_143940876_HDR.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 15
Sketch a logical map of all if your coax runs including the brand and model number of splitters, amps, spectrum equipment, and your equipment of the current installation. Then provide an adjusted sketch for the future desired state. Then we may be able to help you.
Spectrum may be using DOCCIS3.1 which can severely limit your moca bandwidth if they have to share any coax runs.

BTW, most fiber drops i have seen do not require bonding and earthing. i suspect that orange marked cable is a RG6 coax drop from somewhere. Perhaps from a fiber end point somewhere to coax distribution in the neighborhood ? Who owns it ?

The fiber line is Ripple Fiber. Our neighborhood is completely wired, but the drop to the neighborhood won't be for a few months, hence my switch to Spectrum from DSL. When we moved here it was all SpectrumTWC, and we used TWC internet and had DirecTV installed. It looks like the DirecTV tech pulled out the line that goes to our upstairs and put in their splitter and run cable from dish on roof. There are a couple of loose cables. My guess is that I could simply pull the dtv cable and reconnect one of the loose cables. I'm hesitant because it looks like the now defunct DSL is connected to it for electrical reasons??? The splitter mentions DC power. I know there's a simple solution in terms of unplugging and replugging, because the first floor is getting Spectrum through coax. We only had DTV going upstairs because of their wireless system connected to the TVs on first floor. It was NOT doca.

Sketch a logical map of all if your coax runs including the brand and model number of splitters, amps, spectrum equipment, and your equipment of the current installation. Then provide an adjusted sketch for the future desired state. Then we may be able to help you.
Spectrum may be using DOCCIS3.1 which can severely limit your moca bandwidth if they have to share any coax runs.

BTW, most fiber drops i have seen do not require bonding and earthing. i suspect that orange marked cable is a RG6 coax drop from somewhere. Perhaps from a fiber end point somewhere to coax distribution in the neighborhood ? Who owns it ?
And thank you for replying. This is frustrating because I know it's an easy fix, I just can't get past this maze!

Need some help, please. Before I can set up MoCA adapters, per the pics I attached, I need to remove the Directv line and plug the Spectrum line back in. I no longer use Directv, the the line with the orange stripe is a future fiber line that hasn't been dropped into neighborhood yet. Windstream is the DSL line that I also no longer use. Bedroom on first floor has live Spectrum coax and that is where my modem and mesh router currently sit. Can anyone help with what I should pull and what I should reconnect?
Buy a cable tester such as the one shown below and then with a partner at the far end you can quickly trace all the coaxial cables.

www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instruments-TT64202-Cable-Tester/dp/B004Y75B5Y/ref=sr_1_3?crid=13THW97EMYD3Q&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.D9UlENYZL7JeG6MsswOtVxRvfcYSR9boMXRTaVEsniGFW2SOvhlUPNaEpo3cJKk2L-mr39VoCJczB4D-yjcpsVjcabE55v8YqxDZBwsEkgkKTeH--NtHPmY3ErVVURoodEe50-7T7L8xZvXdnNhi1YxwpB1STI6gApCori3WgC_OjJFBtBZF0vqRtoY2RXQFGszWoi83JlSERL-sfNsxGwPBY8Ni2WcyfS9uJsVaDDE.5J00LVIwpL3gN5ri9X0SmwXmNu9Zm_zAWD5TAeUnP38&dib_tag=se&keywords=sperry+cable+tester&qid=1713747424&sprefix=sperry+cable+tester%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-3

If this helps - DirecTV prefers to use/pull their own cable runs for their equipment, even if there is wiring in place... they'll enter in on the demarc from the dish on the roof, as that is where the best grounding is, but not they generally will not cross connect with installed CATV/Internet...

Anyways - DirecTV is usually a closed loop - from the dish down to the receiver, and DECA over to the addtional STB's - internet for Pay on Demand is usually connected to the LAN thru a DECA-Ethernet box.

FWIW - the Green Label on the splitter and the DTV logos - that's their loop...

Hope this helps - worst case, get your Spectrum folks to sort out things for content delivery...

Thank you! We actually had wireless instead of Deca, and they only wired to One tv. So that definitely helps because they definitely didn't wire anything inside, just made sure they connected to that one outlet.

Thank you! We actually had wireless instead of Deca, and they only wired to One tv. So that definitely helps because they definitely didn't wire anything inside, just made sure they connected to that one outlet.

You might have a WVB inline with the DTV set top box...

You'll know if you have a WVB, as it serves the wireless Genie units...

Most installers will do the following path...

Dish --> Deca --> Coax --> WVB --> HR44 Set Top Box # note that WVB is only needed for wireless units...

I forget what dish I have, but it goes into a HR44 set top box, the WVB is just there, and connects to a couple of C41W wireless units...

Internet goes into the system typically thru the Deca, as it has the Coax/Ethernet bridge, just note that an HR44 has a built-in Deca as well...

Note that Deca connectivity is only needed for internet PPV/OnDemand...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!