What's new

internet blackouts?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skywalker

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm having strange issues with my RT-N66U (latest Merlin firmware) and my internet connection.
My wife can use her tablet the entire day without issues. When I come home and connect my Macbook, at first all works fine. But after a short while it seems like there is a DNS issue or something. Webpages won't load anymore, or give timeouts. The connection with the router is working correctly. After 10-15 minutes everything is slowly returning to normal.

Anyone seen this kind of behaviour?

Yes Yosemite on Macbook Air, iPhone 5S, my wife iPhone 5 en our daughter iPhone 4S.......

So it is a known issue?

There is a known issue around Continuity. Your problem may or may not be related.

Next time you have a chance, turn your iPhone off before you walk into the house, and see if the problem still occurs.

As well, before you open up your MacBook, turn off all other iDevices in the house.

Of course, I'm suggesting you do this only for diagnostic purposes, not as routine! ;)

Hopefully, this gets fixed in iOS and/or OSX. Did you install 8.1.2 on iDevices yet?

Installed 8.1.2 on all the devices and installed Yosemite 10.10.2 beta 2 on my macbook. Until now it seems more stable...

This sounds very familier... I´ve wonder what the h*ll happening here, it most times when i leave from home to work trip then i´ll take my iPad 3rd with me and like always Internet access will be gone.. I noticed this week a go again when i played with Ipad and i turned wifi off from it and again internet connection were lost from whole house..

It would be nice to know what causes this and need to test little bit more is it really iPad which causes it.
I do have few differerent symptoms.

1. I can connect to home, but now one can´t connect out.
2. It´s totally blocked inbound nor outbound internet connection wont work, but internal network keeps working.
3. External connection to home working but outgoing internet not.

I´m using Merlin build on ac68U, now i just to need turn off ipad or ipad wifi when leaving home and then reboot router and every thing should work while im a way :)
Sometimes outgoing internet will be lost even my iPad do not have wifi connection. Internet just stops working from home.

I do not have any Mac in my house. Windows PC, few linux servers, iOS & Android stuff.
And in most cases i just take iPad with me when internet will be gone, but definitely not always.

Last edited:
This sounds very familier... I´ve wonder what the h*ll happening here, it most times when i leave from home to work trip then i´ll take my iPad 3rd with me and like always Internet access will be gone.. I noticed this week a go again when i played with Ipad and i turned wifi off from it and again internet connection were lost from whole house..

It would be nice to know what causes this and need to test little bit more is it really iPad which causes it.
I do have few differerent symptoms.

1. I can connect to home, but now one can´t connect out.
2. It´s totally blocked inbound nor outbound internet connection wont work, but internal network keeps working.
3. External connection to home working but outgoing internet not.

I´m using Merlin build on ac68U, now i just to need turn off ipad or ipad wifi when leaving home and then reboot router and every thing should work while im a way :)
Sometimes outgoing internet will be lost even my iPad do not have wifi connection. Internet just stops working from home.

I do not have any Mac in my house. Windows PC, few linux servers, iOS & Android stuff.
And in most cases i just take iPad with me when internet will be gone, but definitely not always.

A good and reliable router is one that you never have to turn off.

A good and reliable router is one that you never have to turn off.

That´s true. Why i did bough this pretty expensive router... My only needs were Dual WAN (fail over) + reliability, but i didnt get any of those with this 68U :)
Now it´s blocking internet connections from home at least twice a day, cannot even ping from Router GUI, connections in does work, but out... It needs reboot to start working again. Need to do factory reset again and install latest Merlin and if issues continues, then Official firmware to test.

This is why i dont rely on consumer hardware. However you could try adding a usb fan. In my case it made my AC68u run reliably. I use a routerboard as my main router and AC68u as my wifi AP.

Go to performance tuning and check your temperatures. Does your CPU run close to 90 or higher degrees? Do your wireless chips run above 50 degrees? If yes that means your problems are related to temperatures.

Go to performance tuning and check your temperatures. Does your CPU run close to 90 or higher degrees? Do your wireless chips run above 50 degrees? If yes that means your problems are related to temperatures.

Here is some info:

Uptime 0 days 19 hours 16 minutes 33 seconds
Temperatures 2.4 GHz: 47°C - 5 GHz: 51°C - CPU: 73°C
CPU
CPU Model ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l) - (Cores: 2)
CPU Frequency 800 MHz
CPU Load Average (1, 5, 15 mins) 0.20, 0.06, 0.06
Memory Total 249.77 MB
Free 202.82 MB
Buffers 1.50 MB
Swap usage 0.00 / 0.00 MB
Internal Storage NVRAM usage 47246 / 65536 bytes
JFFS 2.35 / 94.75 MB
Network
HW acceleration Enabled

your temperatures seem fine although i hope it isnt a cold start.

I never rely on my asus ac68u to do all the work, i use it for wireless and services mainly. My main router which is a mikrotik CCR does all the routing work from VPN to running 4 networks on the same wire and doing a lot more things like proxying, cache network services including tftp.

If your router fails for even basic tasks consider getting a replacement. If it fails when you use more of the features consider getting a non consumer router.

Try turn off 5 Ghz and see if it runs stable. If it does that means the 5 Ghz temperatures may be screwing things up that a usb fan would fix it.

I used to have the problem of my asus ac68u hanging everyday and i solved it by adding a usb fan. Temperatures ran high before it but with a fan i could overclock to 1.4Ghz stable with no problems.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!