What's new

Internet Speed slower when via router than directly from Modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ppilot

Regular Contributor
So for some reason my Orbi is limiting the internet speeds to around 100mbs as opposed to the 160mbs I get when directly connected to the modem. I confirmed that all my wires are at least Cat5e and my switch is gigabit as well. Is there some setting within the Orbi router that could be causing this? Same situation when I am connected via AC and right night to the Orbi router.

Are you sure that your client is connected to the 5GHz. band, not to the 2.4GHz. band? And how do you know that the client is actuall connecting using wireless-AC? I can't tell from your posting if you've tried both a wired and a wireless connection to the Orbi? I also can't tell what client that you're talking about that you're measuring the speed of with the Orbi? If it's a client like a PC or laptop where you can set the interface speed, then you might take a look at the network interface on the client and turn off "auto-negotiate" speed control, and set it to 1Gbps instead.

This is making me curious about what might be going on. Frustrating for you, though, sorry about that.

Are you sure that your client is connected to the 5GHz. band, not to the 2.4GHz. band? And how do you know that the client is actuall connecting using wireless-AC? I can't tell from your posting if you've tried both a wired and a wireless connection to the Orbi? I also can't tell what client that you're talking about that you're measuring the speed of with the Orbi? If it's a client like a PC or laptop where you can set the interface speed, then you might take a look at the network interface on the client and turn off "auto-negotiate" speed control, and set it to 1Gbps instead.

This is making me curious about what might be going on. Frustrating for you, though, sorry about that.

The PC is connected to the Orbi Router via a gigabit switch with Cat5e. Even if it was connected to the 2.4 band, it should still get more than 100mbs, right? Also, within my local network I get gigabit file transfer speeds so this is definitely an issue with the connection between the router and modem.

The PC is connected to the Orbi Router via a gigabit switch with Cat5e. Even if it was connected to the 2.4 band, it should still get more than 100mbs, right? Also, within my local network I get gigabit file transfer speeds so this is definitely an issue with the connection between the router and modem.

If the PC is connected via 2.4GHz. to the Orbi, no, it might not get more than 100Mbps. If you go and look at the "Attached Devices" screen, it should tell you to which band the PC is connected. If the PC isn't connected to the 5GHz. band, you can try rebooting the PC and see if the Orbi shifts it to 5GHz. You might also try some large data transfers, and see if that causes it to be shifted to 5GHz.

If the PC is connected via 2.4GHz. to the Orbi, no, it might not get more than 100Mbps. If you go and look at the "Attached Devices" screen, it should tell you to which band the PC is connected. If the PC isn't connected to the 5GHz. band, you can try rebooting the PC and see if the Orbi shifts it to 5GHz. You might also try some large data transfers, and see if that causes it to be shifted to 5GHz.

The PC is connected to the router via Cat 5E and my pixel 2 is what I was using to test internet speeds via wireless. Both basically had the same speed test results, which seems a little weird unless something in the router is limiting the internet speed. Again, LAN transfers work perfectly fine.

Okay, not a wireless connection...I get it. You can still go into the PC network interface adapter settings in the device manager and set the speed of the card to 1Gbps, rather than auto-negotiate. Don't know if that's it, but that seems more likely than something going on with the Orbi to me. Unless you've inadvertently turned off WMM or something like that.

Another thing that you can do is to reset the router and satellite units to factory defaults, and see how fast your PC goes before you do any configuration. Then configure your Orbi, and see when the speed goes down (if it does).

Okay, not a wireless connection...I get it. You can still go into the PC network interface adapter settings in the device manager and set the speed of the card to 1Gbps, rather than auto-negotiate. Don't know if that's it, but that seems more likely than something going on with the Orbi to me. Unless you've inadvertently turned off WMM or something like that.

Another thing that you can do is to reset the router and satellite units to factory defaults, and see how fast your PC goes before you do any configuration. Then configure your Orbi, and see when the speed goes down (if it does).

Yeah the fact I am getting gigabit LAN speeds with no issues (though all those are connected to a switch as opposed to directly to the router, not sure if that makes a difference) and that I get full speed with the PC directly directly connected to Router really points to something going wrong with the Orbi Configuration in my mind.

Will do a hard reset on everything tonight and let you know.

What is the Mfr and model of the ISP modem?

Did you reset the router and run a speed test with out configuring the speed test in QoS?

Last edited:
You can run duckwares wan to lan set for your self as well and see if there is a problem.

Others including myself have noticed speed drop through Orbi router. Was not too noticeable on my 10/.9 mbps DSl connection but Orbi was slower than Asus.
Ah America, land of the free and slow internet!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Depends on model. Some users on the NG forum have mentioned getting up to 900Mb +- on there Orbi routers.

First off, sorry for the lack of replies...work got a little nutso and I didn't follow up on some of the posts.

Anyway I definitely thing there is something wrong with my Orbi Router.

Just an update, I went back and was about to reset all my networking equipment and noticed that the gigabit switch was indicating it was only receiving a 100mb connection from the router. So I reset every part of my network and that seems to do the trick.

Fast forward to today and my switch is again indicating it's not receiving a gigabit connection the router. Are there any setting within the Orbi platform that might cause this?

Whats the Mfr and model of this switch? Can you remove the switch temporarily from the mix to see how things go?
If a managed switch, this can cause problems. NON managed switches are preferred.

Ensure LAN cables are good between the switch and connecting devices. Swap cables to test.

Try different port on switch.

First off, sorry for the lack of replies...work got a little nutso and I didn't follow up on some of the posts.

Anyway I definitely thing there is something wrong with my Orbi Router.

Just an update, I went back and was about to reset all my networking equipment and noticed that the gigabit switch was indicating it was only receiving a 100mb connection from the router. So I reset every part of my network and that seems to do the trick.

Fast forward to today and my switch is again indicating it's not receiving a gigabit connection the router. Are there any setting within the Orbi platform that might cause this?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!