What's new

Issue updating RT-AX88U from 386.1_2 to newer versions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

-SideQuest

New Around Here
RT-AX88U on 386.1_2 cannot upgrade past that - keeps telling me firmware that I'm attempting to apply is not compatible, using 386.2_0 (RT-AX88U_386.2_0_cferom_ubi.w) or 386.2_6 (RT-AX88U_386.2_6_cferom_ubi.w). I've rebooted the router and tried again, still will not update. Has anyone else come across this that may have an idea as to why? I've never had this issue before getting up to 386.1_2.

"Invalid Firmware Upload

Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This might result from incorrect image or error transmission, please check the model name RT-AX88U and version of firmware from support site and try again."

I've tried rebooting the router. I've tried restoring to factory defaults and then upgrading.

Thanks in advance!

There are other reports of this problem with 386.1_2. The solution appears to be to either downgrade to an older version first, or use Rescue mode to install the firmware.

There are other reports of this problem with 386.1_2. The solution appears to be to either downgrade to an older version first, or use Rescue mode to install the firmware.
Thank you! I considered trying to downgrade. I'll have to dig in to how to do that

Thank you! I considered trying to downgrade. I'll have to dig in to how to do that

The same way you upgraded. Download an older fimware and unzip it and install it. Then proceed with the new one again. Make sure you have no USB drives plugged in sometime that also causes a fail.

The same way you upgraded. Download an older fimware and unzip it and install it. Then proceed with the new one again. Make sure you have no USB drives plugged in sometime that also causes a fail.
Ah! It did not like that either.
In recovery mode uploading the firmware now. Fingers crossed!

Be very patient with recovery mode. Even if it says 'timed out' or other such nonsense, give it an hour or more before determining it 'took' or not. :)

Have you been able to uncross your fingers yet?:)

Be very patient with recovery mode. Even if it says 'timed out' or other such nonsense, give it an hour or more before determining it 'took' or not. :)
Thank you for the warning. Been running for about an hour now and at 30%. Good thing I was planning on being offline for a few hours hah. Gonna be a while.

As an update:
could not get the .3 to update-- same issues.

Noticed my wifi / ethernet speeds on my primary laptop were horrible, and all over the place.

opened CMD and ran (windows 10):

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

my network speeds capped and showed steady results over multiple tests.

ran the upload for the most recent firmware. Bam! Uploaded perfectly.

So Windows 10 network turning was messing with my upload and download and causing my firmware updates to fail. To double check this theory I attempted to upload my mesh point with it turned back on, and it failed multiple times, stating wrong firmware file, disabled it again, bam first try it worked.

The more you know, eh?