What's new

Issues exporting openvpn 374.38-2 SDK6 - RT66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shooter40sw

Hi guys, Merlin, I have a RT66U, I set up Openvpn from 0 making the router generate automatically the certificates when I was using the firmware 374.38-0, doing factory defaults and manually configuring all the router, I exported the client.ovpn file and was able to connect VPN succesfully from my Android Nexus 4, Then quickly I upgrades to the 38.1 and today 38.2, I wanted to export the client.ovpn file for my iPad but I noticed that the name was client1.ovpn and when I opened the file, the certificates were missing, I exported the file to the nexus 4 and it gives me an error trying to connect because of this: Polar SSL error cert certificate X509 The certificate format is invalid.
There is no log file errors on the router.

With the original client.ovpn the one that I exported when I first set up the openvpn server ther are no issues I can connect to the router.

But it looks like there is a bug exporting the Openvpn file.
:confused:
Thanks for the hard work and quality you put on these firmwares.

This is the last part of the new file, the one that does not work:

+QcEkg2NvObWgxSG69+BeiuTk7SIJL7QqzZxeviPsCAGqbtUzfJWQPBqbgaVNG
2MKFgCJjsTc5uzAleDdgAZFVySqslpZ2bm7wQumYaIroyNqLaJoP4U9whffWjWwI
opOLoPc=
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</ca>
<cert>
paste client certificate data here
</cert>
<key>
paste client key data here
</key>
ns-cert-type server
resolv-retry infinite
nobind

If these two fields are empty then it means your CA has been modified and no longer matches the stored client certificates. You will have to forge their regeneration by clearing all certs/keys from the VPN Details page, turning the OpenVPN instance off then on.

The only change in the recent firmware versions was that now the files are named client1 and client2, depending on which instance is being exported (previously it was hardcoded to always export the first instance).

DH Parameters

I've been having difficulty with openvpn as well. I deleted certs and DH parameters. Then start and stop server. The certs get re-generated. DH parameters do not. How do I generate DH?