What's new

Just Bought a new router but already want to change...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nik

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

Sorry in advance, i'm french, you'll might see some mistakes... I just bought the Linksys AC1900 EA6900, but i want already to change, and i have few questions to make now a good choice.

Here is my story : 2 weeks ago, I decided to invest in a router to boost my wifi. My provider offer a good modem/router but the wifi is a bit slow to use it local. I have a 35mbps connexion to internet, and i want to also make transfert in local. So i read some articles on the web, founded that the Linksys is quit good normally, to boost my wifi, and i found a good offer on ebay, around 100€ (90$). I jumped on it and few days after i start my tests.

In my opinion, this router is not very good, in my case. I live in house with some walls, the router has to be at the 1st floor and my laptop is at the ground. I forgot to tell, all my devices are in wifi N, not AC. First it was very difficult to find the best combinaison to have the maximum download speed. The best result i've got is in 5ghz, auto canal with, N only, and close to 1 meter from the router. In this configutation, i can have around 240 mbps dowlaoding from the computer directly connected to the router (RJ45), to my laptop (wifi).

So I choose to put the router just under my laptop. Not to bad, but still something wrong. The range is not very good. If i change the laptop place (one floor) the dowload speed fall to 120 mbps. Much better of my modem/router from my provider (around 50 mpbs maximum, but it can hold it far enough).

But this is not the worst... I just have one game i play since almost 2 years, Clash of Clans. And when i use the 5ghz linksys wifi, i have many disconnexion, which is very annoying!!! I search all on the web a solution, it was about a port, 9339. I put a rule on the router but nothing change. I have seen some complains on internet of people who has the problem with other linksys router. I have to say that i try also the linksys as bridge, and nothing change. I put my firewall at the lowest level, nothing also. I assume that there is a connection with my provider router and the linksys router very wrong, or something i don't understand.

So here are my questions :

1/ Can you solve the clash of clans issue? If not, not worry, i have already decided to change this router.

2/ what is the best choices for my configuration? I have only N laptops and devices. I selected the TP-link archer C7 v1, the Netgear R700 and the asus RT-N66U. The TP-link is good compromise, cheap but with not so much tools (you can't choose the band width at 5ghz for example) the Netgear is very good but maybe not the best choice for my devices, the Asus is on top at wifi N with long range.

3/ The last question is about the Asus RT-N66U, because it is only wifi N. I have seen all the test results, but i think that is not for people like me with only wifi N devices. You can't compare the results.... I don't really know if a router with wifi AC is better for a laptop with wifi N. So I don't know it i have to choose between the TP-link ot the Asus.

My configuration / devices :
France : Orange provider, adsl V2 (around 35 mpbs tested with ookla)
modem/router : livebox play (from Sagem)
router : Linksys AC1900 EA 6900
1 computer connected directly to the linksys with RJ45 cable or to the livebox
1 vaio pro 13, 1 macbook air 13 (2013)
1 iphone 5, 1 iphone 5s

Thank in advance for who will read all my thread and thanks also for who will respond!!!

nik