What's new

Keeping home and work separate?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jerry

New Around Here
I'm not a tech person. I know how to do what I need to do and that's about ti. I have a work computer, that is connected directly to my comcast gateway. I am currently using a separate internet service to run wifi for other devices.
However, I don't want the added expense of paying another ISP. Is there a way to keep my wired computer secure and isolated or, on a separate network, altogether, from other devices in the house?
How would I set this up?

I think you'd need to replace the Comcast gateway with a router that allows you to isolate traffic into two subnets, one for your work computer and the other for the rest of the home.
Some units support isolated subnets on WiFi, usually calling them Guest networks, but you'd need one of the LAN ports to be on that isolated subnet as well for your work computer.
I know this could be accomplished with an OpenWRT based outer, but the config is complex.
There might be commercial routers that have this as an option, but I don't recall seeing that (other than aforementioned guest network).

Don't bother with the guest setup on consumer routers. You will not have printing or sharing of resources.

Either setup a multi network or run 2 consumer routers.

Don't bother with the guest setup on consumer routers. You will not have printing or sharing of resources.

Either setup a multi network or run 2 consumer routers.

Yep...

Clever approach on many cable operators when using a basic cable modem (not the unified residential gateway things)

Put a $19.00 D-Link switch right behind the modem, and then you can hook up another router to it (having two routers share the same cable modem).

Most accounts are provisioned to have more than one PC attached to the CM directly - CoxHSI for example, on a residential account, provides up to 5 unique and public addresses (sadly, not static IP's however).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!