What's new

Lan ports of router turned AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can the lan ports of router that was converted into an AP be used just like a normal lan port?
Yes.

And depending on the firmware you may also be able to use what was the WAN port as a LAN port.

I got a ASUS RT-AC68U running firmware 3.0.0.4.378_6065.

How do I know if the WAN can be used as a lan port?

Plug your AP uplink cable into the WAN port, and see if the AP comes back onto the network. If it does, the WAN port will act as a LAN port...

I'd avoid using the WAN port of a WiFi router reconfigured to be an AP.

The LAN ports of such a router are the same as having an Ethernet switch with a built-in AP. The AP does no routing functions and this is normally related to the WAN port.

I'd avoid using the WAN port of a WiFi router reconfigured to be an AP.

The LAN ports of such a router are the same as having an Ethernet switch with a built-in AP. The AP does no routing functions and this is normally related to the WAN port.

I don't know where the setting is, perhaps it is an option when you select the operating mode as an AP.

I have all five ports on my AC68U set up to work as LAN ports (one is actually used for the cable coming from my primary router) and the other four are used as LAN ports. It works and I get 80/70 for Ethernet connections and also excellent speeds for devices connecting using AC.

Current firmware from Netgear (and Asus too I believe) uses the WAN port for the AP uplink. I know this is contrary to what we've always been taught but things do change.

I've used the Netgear WGR614v10 as an AP and in order to do that, you connect a LAN port and shut off all routing functions. There's no "AP mode" switch.

However, on the Netgear R7000, there's actually a setting for AP mode and the documentation/diagram right in the GUI says to use the WAN port, not the LAN port. I've tested it and it works just like they say.

re post #7 - use of the WAN port for a router reconfigured as an AP..
The WiFi router must have an explicit setting (mode choice) to run as an AP, not a router. Then it can use the WAN port.
Conversely, I think, a WiFi router that does NOT have an explicit AP mode - you use one of the LAN ports to connect it to the router - the routing functions are still running but the WAN is disconnected so the re-purposed WiFi router behaves as an AP. The LAN ports are thus all just switch ports - and you can connect things to the 3 unused ports.

The WiFi router must have an explicit setting (mode choice) to run as an AP, not a router. Then it can use the WAN port.
Conversely, I think, a WiFi router that does NOT have an explicit AP mode - you use one of the LAN ports to connect it to the router - the routing functions are still running but the WAN is disconnected so the re-purposed WiFi router behaves as an AP. The LAN ports are thus all just switch ports - and you can connect things to the 3 unused ports.

Agree on all points.

So looking at above - maybe...

Apple Airports - yes if the AP is in bridge mode - the LAN ports are hot..
Yeah, Apple's stuff, IMO, is always "different" - as if Apple says "if its the prevailing standard, let's do the opposite".

Yeah, Apple's stuff, IMO, is always "different" - as if Apple says "if its the prevailing standard, let's do the opposite".

Well, there's no standard for that behavior is there...

I do say this as a declarative statement - go search, and report back if you find something.

Many Router/AP's when set to repeater/bridge mode keep the LAN ports hot, it's not unique to Apple.

I think the problem one can run into with not having an explicit AP mode is the risk of the DHCP server still running and answering up to DHCPREQUEST messages from clients on the network, and we all know that having more than one DHCP server can lead to some serious conflicts/confusion on the network.

By doing the explicit setting "AP Mode", we disable the router, we disable the DHCP server, and life is generally better.

Yes, the HOW-TO on this web site tells people to disable the DHCP server in the re-purposed-as-AP WiFi router.

Today, there are many $40-50 WiFi routers that have an explicit AP mode - so the above is becoming less of an issue.

Yes, the HOW-TO on this web site tells people to disable the DHCP server in the re-purposed-as-AP WiFi router.

Today, there are many $40-50 WiFi routers that have an explicit AP mode - so the above is becoming less of an issue.

To look at the other side of the question. Has anyone ever had a SOHO router when converted to AP mode either explicitly or by just disabling the DHCP server function not been able to utilize at least the LAN ports as a switch?

@CaptainSTX... I don't know. I have two ASUS WiFi routers that have explicit router modes. I've not, but can confirm if all LAN ports work. Also curious to know if in explicit AP mode, one must use the WAN port for te router uplink or just use any LAN port (as on routers that have no explicit AP mode).

@CaptainSTX... I don't know. I have two ASUS WiFi routers that have explicit router modes. I've not, but can confirm if all LAN ports work. Also curious to know if in explicit AP mode, one must use the WAN port for te router uplink or just use any LAN port (as on routers that have no explicit AP mode).

I have three ASUS routers. One is a N66 which is running Merlins v.53. It is set up as a dedicated AP and with the WAN port currently being used as a LAN port. Currently the Ethernet connection to my LAN is connected to what used to be a WAN port. Prior to making this post I moved the Ethernet cable from the wall to the WAN port to LAN port 3 and I was able to continued streaming video in HD from my Tivo to my Tivo Mini.

I have also tested using my AC68U which is set up as an AP with the same results. It is running ASUS firmware.

My primary router, which is running in router mode is a N66U. It is flashed with Tomato.

I have also repurposed several Linksys 54Gs flashed with DD-WRT to serve as APs and or switches. I have a 54G I keep around just to use as a switch when I need extra Ethernet LAN ports at a particular location for a project. DD-WRT allows you to quite specifically repurpose the WAN port as well as determine a number of other functions for each LAN port. To repurpose the 54Gs as a switch I just turn of the DHCP server, turn off the radio, make the WAN port a LAN port and then remove the antennas. The 54Gs have enough processing power to serve as a switch in a media center and handle one stream of compressed video or streaming audio. There are better, cheaper and perhaps faster switches available than the 54Gs but if you already have a SOHO router available to use as a switch IMHO there is no reason not to use them.

I've always wondered if all or just some WiFi routers' LAN ports are other than simply an Ethernet switch. Literally. No firmware in the loop for intra-LAN packets.
The WAN port of course has to be independent, I'd think- at the MAC layer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!