What's new

Large range router or router+access point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

doruforum

New Around Here
I'm looking for a new router which has a good coverage of my 2 story house + attic. The router has to be placed in the house near the entrance. I have both N and AC devices (about 7 in total). The router will also be connected to a NAS.

I was looking at these 3 routers:
ASUS RT-AC87U
Linksys E8350
Linksys WRT1900AC

Do you think one of these routers will be able to cover the entire house?
If not, which router+access point combination do you suggest?

Last edited:
get a decent router and an access point

I use:

My Network hardware: Cisco Meraki Z1 router, 2 x Aruba RAP 109 APs, 1 Cisco Meraki MR12 AP. D-Link DGS-1210-10P PoE managed switch.

I would be considering the RT-AC68U and the RT-AC87U in an in-house trial to see which performs better for my specific network obstacles.

You don't mention how big your house is, but limiting it's placement to the front entrance, unless it's centrally located, is only going to give you continuous problems with any new router you consider now or in the future.

Since you are considering an AP, that suggests to me that you can possibly put the router in a better location (one that is central to all or most of the wireless devices you use throughout your property). This is highly recommended even if you get an AP too.

From what is available today in consumer routers, I would stick with Asus products and the RMerlin firmware. RT-AC68U or RT-AC87U as the primary router (which one will be decided after testing, in-house) and a second RT-AC68U or RT-AC56U for an AP if it is truly needed.

Depends how big your house is. You can use a dedicated router and an AP placed in the center of your house. In smaller 3 story houses a single router/AP near the entrance does suffice. It depends on the area of your house and how much area your AP has to cover and how many walls to go through in total.

router and AP on different floors.
Helps mitigate RF attenuation from sub-floor plywood and other flooring materials.

If you lack network cabling and depending on the quality of your houses wiring I have done this using a homeplug WAP fairly successfully.

Obviously it won't have the power of your proposed solution but for casual use to cover the extremities of our house it works quite well and and is very cheap and neat.

Chunks