What's new

Linksys E- 4200 ---IPV6 WORKS! ----

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cc666

Very Senior Member
I downloaded the 1.0 firmware from the Linksys website and reflashed my E 4200 router. I just got around to testing IPV6 and it works! Not only does it work but its fast.

Can anyone else with the E 4200 please test their units:

http://test-ipv6.com/

http://ipv6.whatismyv6.com/

Please report back here. I am totally satisfied, this router is fantastic! I LOVE it. I had a WNDR3700 since that units release date and whoever is on the fence about buying the E - 4200 to replace their 3700, my advise is run dont walk to your nearest Best Buy and make the purchase, thats if you can find one.

Charlie C

Here's my results

I have the original firmware 1.0.00 (build 13) Nov 12, 2010. Since it is the same version as that on the linksys server, I didn't flash mine. This is the result from the first link:

Your IPv4 address on the public internet appears to be XX.XX.XX.XX

Your IPv6 address on the public internet appears to be YY:YY:YY:YY
Your IPv6 service appears to be: 6to4

World IPv6 day is June 8th, 2011. No problems are anticipated for you with this browser, at this location. [more info]

Congratulations! You appear to have both IPv4 and IPv6 internet working. If a publisher publishes to IPv6, your browser will connect using IPv6. Note: Your browser appears to prefer IPv4 over IPv6 when given the choice. This may in the future affect the accuracy of sites who guess at your location.

You appear to be using a public 6to4 gateway; your router may be providing this to you automatically. Such public gateways have no service level agreements; you may see performance problems using such. Better would be to get a native IPv6 address from your ISP. [more info]

Your DNS server (possibly ran by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites. [more info]
7/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6
7/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

The second link does not work.

Last edited:
There is only one version of firmware for the E4200 (1.0.00) and I cannot find any IPv6 settings in it.

So this would be an upgrade from my WRT54G? (non L version, original revision 1) :D

I don't personally think IPv6 will take off anytime soon. There's just too much in the way to really switch things over. For example - even if my router supported it, my cable modem doesn't (and it's a fairly new DOCSIS3 model).

Ipv6

Mr Easy it works believe me, even though there are no settings.

Charlie C

Working is one thing. Being officially spec'd and supported is another.

Ipv6

Tim

I can tell you this with confidence, With IPV6 supported on the WNDR3700 on firmware .92, .98, .100 the E4200 IPV6 is way faster and works on every IPV6 only site I have visited. What more proof do you need?

Please test it yourself and you will see I am correct. The code is in the firmware and it works.

Charlie C

Tim

I can tell you this with confidence, With IPV6 supported on the WNDR3700 on firmware .92, .98, .100 the E4200 IPV6 is way faster and works on every IPV6 only site I have visited. What more proof do you need?

Please test it yourself and you will see I am correct. The code is in the firmware and it works.

Charlie C

I think he believes you about it being in there, but he's saying as long as Cisco's official stance is that it isn't there and it isn't supported he doesn't want to lead people to believe it's officially in there by listing it as one of the features. They don't let you see any settings regarding IPv6 or IPv6 status at all does it? It's hiding all of that so you don't really know how the IPv6 is working right?