What's new

Linksys WRT610N 5Ghz range - how to increase

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chrismcpole

Occasional Visitor
Hey there, I've got 610N v2 with latest firmware, I'm planning to use it with my notebook (Vaio Z with Intel® WiFi Link 5100/5300) and PS3 (G mode reserved for that). The problem is that the 5Ghz which I wanted to used with my notebook is very slow (same position with 2.4Ghz gives me 4-5 bars, while 5Ghz only 1 at best or most of the time - no network visible at all). :mad:

Please see attachments for the settings I use. I tried the default ones too, but they are even worse.

Any advise on how to increase the signal with 5Ghz band?

PS. Yes I know it's the walls, and not a defective router as I get 100% signal on both band in one room, but still... :)

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 502
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 472
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 475
Try using 20 MHz mode. 40MHz mode will actually reduce your range.

Unfortunately, there is not much you can do besides using higher gain antennas. But you can't change the antennas on either end of the connection since they're internal.

you're right about the antennas, both are internal, so they out of the question.

I will try 20Mhz, thank you, but do you know if they would conflict, since 2.4 is also set to use 20Mhz only? :confused:

No, they won't conflict. The 2.4 and 5 GHz bands are completely independent.

sadly it did not help at all, I tried oher settings but it looks like the range is just not there. Do you know of any alternative firmware that can boost the range for 5 on this box?:confused:

thanks

You can try building a parabolic reflector to focus the signal, but since communication is two-way you may not see an improvement unless both ends have one. Dealing with internal antennas is more difficult, but still feasible.

Well it's not an option, unfortunately. So it's either getting the 5ghz out of the 9mbps range with settings/firmware or getting a better router that will not suck as much. :( Btw could it be my intel 5100 wifi that causes the slowdown with 5ghz, or it does not mater? I have the latest drivers, I think.

PS. Do you think a router like 320N in 2.4Ghz mixed mode would be able to handle one N notebook and one PS3 G with no problems? Just thinking of alternatives that would avoid 5Ghz altogether, since 610n's additional features make no sense for the price difference.

Last edited: