What's new

Looking for Advice on Mesh with Ethernet Backhall on large property

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hummm you are right.

What about R310? it is -99dB sensetivity. It's missing the SmartMesh but I'm going to be hardwiring it. It's also 100$ vs ~200$ for the 510

The R310 is a little powerhouse indeed. Only AC Wave 1, so no MU-MIMO on download for clients that support it, but really good for home setups. If you have a chance to buy it for <$100, I'd pull the trigger.

I would think the Ruckus would be a better buy than the TP-Link as you are buying into a much better high end system. The Cisco WAP581 APs will have more future than the old Ruckus units since it is a new design and an AC wave 2 4x4 unit. But with WiFi 6 coming it may shorten our overall future, only time will tell. I think Ruckus will be better over Cisco WAP581 APs if you are using over 16 APs which will not be the case for a home setup.

I would also think the Cisco WAP581 AP would be simpler to setup than the Ruckus using VLANs and clusters. The Cisco WAP581 APs are so simple.

The R310 is a little powerhouse indeed. Only AC Wave 1, so no MU-MIMO on download for clients that support it, but really good for home setups. If you have a chance to buy it for <$100, I'd pull the trigger.
Nice!
Can I mix and match? Like adding a R510 on the same network? Or possibly Wi-fi 6 or will I need to replace everything?

I would think the Ruckus would be a better buy than the TP-Link as you are buying into a much better high end system. The Cisco WAP581 APs will have more future than the old Ruckus units since it is a new design and an AC wave 2 4x4 unit. But with WiFi 6 coming it may shorten our overall future, only time will tell. I think Ruckus will be better over Cisco WAP581 APs if you are using over 16 APs which will not be the case for a home setup.

I would also think the Cisco WAP581 AP would be simpler to setup than the Ruckus using VLANs and clusters. The Cisco WAP581 APs are so simple.

Does the Cisco WAP581 AP require a control or are they like the Ruckus and can run Unleashed?

The Cisco WAP581 APs can not be run with a separate controller. Cisco has enterprise level gear for really large networks. The Cisco WAP581 APs have the controller software built in for up to 16 APs. If the master controller goes down the cluster automatically promotes another AP to be master.

In your words the Cisco WAP581 AP already has unleashed built-in. No reason to re-flash firmware.

The Cisco WAP581 APs can not be run with a separate controller. Cisco has enterprise level gear for really large networks. The Cisco WAP581 APs have the controller software built in for up to 16 APs. If the master controller goes down the cluster automatically promotes another AP to be master.

In your words the Cisco WAP581 AP already has unleashed built-in. No reason to re-flash firmware.

Nice!

Assume price is the same.

WAP581AP vs Ruckus R310. The WAP581AP is the winner.

So my setup would be Fiber Optic Modem/Router => 16 Port Switch => POE Injector > WAP581AP. and then another WAP581AP

WAP581AP
Disadvantage:
1) I can't mix and match and i'll need to buy another WAP581AP if 2 is not enough
2) It's HUGE
3) Doesn't have Mesh

Advantages:
1) 4x4 on 5Ghz and 3x3 on 2.4Ghz
2) lifetime warranty

Ruckus R310
Disadvantages
1) 2x2
2) no Mesh

Advantages
1) I can mix and match in the future

Would you please specify what you mean by Mesh? I assume it is more than just a wireless link. To me it is a Marketing term right now for these home wireless systems. There is no real mesh system happening between units.

Would you please specify what you mean by Mesh? I assume it is more than just a wireless link. To me it is a Marketing term right now for these home wireless systems. There is no real mesh system happening between units.

Mesh as in wireless backhaul between two routers for expansion.

What I have in mind is the following.
2nd floor middle of the house - Modem/Switch/POE Injector and WAP581AP #1.
Basement middle of the house - CAT6 from Switch to POE Injector to WAP581AP #2.

If the backyard needs more wifi add another WAP581AP. I would need to get another CAT 6 from the switch to outdoors as the WAP581AP can't connect to another WAP581AP wirelessly.

You can link 2 Cisco WAP581 AP together using WiFi. Wire is a better solution. I recommend putting a Cisco WAP581 AP in a back Window for outside coverage. It is a much simpler solution than trying to do outdoor weather poof equipment.

Here is what I have in mind. Purple star is where I would put the WAP581 APs
https://imgur.com/AaYHrFi

2nd floor laundry room location is set. The 2nd AP isn't set yet. Maybe basement corner right? or main floor next to fireplace?

It looks like you have 2 locations for your wireless APs. One on second floor and 1 in the basement. My thought is you are going to miss a wireless AP on first floor where you spend most of your time.

There is a lot of structure between first floor and guest bedroom 5 on the first floor. Going through a kitchen and bathroom is tough with wireless.

I would drape cables and test.

Bedroom 5 is right under the laundry room (one floor above).

The house isn't built yet. I'm going to be talking with the contractor to make CAT6 Runs and 120V outlets in nice hidden spots for the router.

Last edited:
I'm about to pull the trigger and buy 3 x Cisco WAP581 but I haven't found any good infomation on them...

- Is the range better than the Ruckus R310?
- Can I run each ap in different channels?
- Demo of the menu and is it as simple (intuitive to setup)

The tech spec page has the transmit power an receiver sensitivity. The layout of the house will have a bigger impact though. If you plan to ceiling mount an AP have the installer place a receptacle box and pull the cat6 to it. If you don't use it, just put a flat speaker cover over it.

Yes, and you can let the APs select the best channel in Auto when you use single point setup.

you can download the use manual. It has everything laid out. Configuration is straightforward. There are auto configuration routines you can use as well. Do one AP and turn on the single point setup and let it propagate to the others.

The tech spec page has the transmit power an receiver sensitivity. The layout of the house will have a bigger impact though. If you plan to ceiling mount an AP have the installer place a receptacle box and pull the cat6 to it. If you don't use it, just put a flat speaker cover over it.

Yes, and you can let the APs select the best channel in Auto when you use single point setup.

you can download the use manual. It has everything laid out. Configuration is straightforward. There are auto configuration routines you can use as well. Do one AP and turn on the single point setup and let it propagate to the others.

Thank you.
Going over the house design. I've been given a veto order for ceiling mounted by his wife...lol

How well will these operate if they are hidden inside a drawer?

- Upstairs in the laundry room in one of the cabinates (5ft above the floor)
- Main floor on the right of the fire place there are cabinates (1ft above the floor)
- Basement in the tv cabinate facing the window (1ft above the floor)

I'm worried the antennas are made to work pointing down because they are made to be ceiling mounted

Put in the wifi as per specs, upgrade the wife. :D

It is really a bad idea to put wireless APs in cabinets. Look at places you go like store, hotels, and etc. for their wireless setup. You are not going to find them mount in cabinets. Put them on the ceiling with the fire, CO, and other testers as they will blend in. I like to use halls and their ceilings.

It is really a bad idea to put wireless APs in cabinets. Look at places you go like store, hotels, and etc. for their wireless setup. You are not going to find them mount in cabinets. Put them on the ceiling with the fire, CO, and other testers as they will blend in. I like to use halls and their ceilings.

The WAP581 are huge. Putting them on the ceiling will not look aesthetically pleasing
as she is getting the ceiling decorations https://www.decorativeceilingtiles.net/product_images/blog_images/faux_wood_beams.jpg and https://historictimberandplank.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_1450.jpg

Here is what I have in mind for setup locations (Purple Stars)
https://imgur.com/HYvUlfn

Now I have two options....hmmm

300$ for 3x R310
400$ for 3x WAP581

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!