What's new

looking for the right router for a small business

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lapin

New Around Here
My partner runs a small accounting practise. Her IT guy is going out of business and I've been volunteered to replace her entire (aging) computer infrastructure.

I'm a C++ programmer, so while I'm technically competent, my networking knowledge doesn't stretch far beyond TCP/IP.

The setup is fairly simple, they have a server and six client PCs, so I'm looking for advice on choosing the right 8 port gigabit router. The router will provide internet access by connecting to an ADSL modem.

Wireless is not a requirement.

Each of the PCs (server and clients) require internet access.

They have a network printer, an Infotec ISC 2020.

I'll have to remotely administer this network, as I'll be out of the country for most of next year, so I also need a VPN solution. I'm unfamiliar with how to use router VPN functions and I was looking at OpenVPN, although if an inbuilt router solution is just as good / simple, I'm open to looking into that.

I've not been down to the office to examine their current cabling solution yet, but I assume that there may be four port switches scattered throughout the three separate rooms.

I had a look at router charts on the small net builder website, but the charts all seem to have four port routers. That said, I'd really like to get a router that performs like the Asus rt-n56u black diamond - LAN throughput is the highest priority.

With LAN throughput being the highest priority, I'd also like recommendations on the best 4 port switches (if I'll need them - maybe I'd be better off just cabling everything into the 8 port router).

thanks