What's new

LOOSE RJ45 jacks: TWO BRAND NEW RT N66U's

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Since the routers are still new and under warranty Asus has probably allowed enough wiggle room for you to return them. ;)

Last edited:
Since your router is still new and under warranty Asus will probably allow enough wiggle room for you to return it. ;)

I don't have to contact ASUS. I'll just return the defective N66Us to Amazon. They have already sent me return labels.

The reason for this thread is to see if others have this problem. Obviously a few of us do (the video I posted is not mine).

Hi,
Just for the sake of fun, you can lift the pins inside the jack with something like dentist pick. Gently lift up the spring pins. ASUS did not make the 4 port RJ45 jack module. I don't think they are making components. If it is bad, that is ASUS QC problem. I can jiggle, wiggle shake connectors on the router sitting vertical on it's stand, nothig happens.
My cables are rigid CAT6 or 7 all around.

Last edited:
Is this an issue with all the ports or just the lan ports?

Hi,
Just for the sake of fun, you can lift the pins inside the jack with something like dentist pick. Gently lift up the spring pins. ASUS did not make the 4 port RJ45 jack module. I don't think they are making components. If it is bad, that is ASUS QC problem. I can jiggle, wiggle shake connectors on the router sitting vertical on it's stand, nothig happens.
My cables are rigid CAT6 or 7 all around.

Yes, I believe the latest batch of N66U's are mostly defective. Chances are you bought yours before this defect was injected for whatever QC reason. I got mine only 2-3 weeks ago and the (also defective) replacement only a few days ago. Maybe I'm wrong, but since these have been produced for a quite a while and 'fewer' people will buy them (possibly due to the imminent advent of the AC standard), the defect, in this latest batch, has gone unnoticed by the consumers. I find it hard to believe ASUS doesn't know this. It's unfortunate. Aside from this massive defect these could have been nice devices.

Last edited:
I have been in touch with ASUS support. The want me to go through the RMA process and get a 'reconditioned' unit in exchange for the faulty brand new units which is not acceptable to me. I want them to send me a BRAND NEW unit that isn't from the faulty batch. Obviously I can easily return these to Amazon but then what? They probably send me yet a third faulty unit since chances are their supplier has a bad batch.

Any suggestions on how to go about doing this?

Return it to Amazon get a refund and go to a Best Buy store and you will probly get a older new router I got mine in late June and don't have the issue. It came with the 260 firmware. Good Luck to you !!

Return it to Amazon get a refund and go to a Best Buy store and you will probly get a older new router I got mine in late June and don't have the issue. It came with the 260 firmware. Good Luck to you !!

Hmmm, interesting! BestBuy model # is N66R (not N66U) and from other section of this forum it *seems* they are the same hardware but after much technical jargon it isn't clear to me if the 'R' model can be upgraded to the same firmware as the 'U' model. Can someone give me a digest of what the conclusion is (sorry I'm not technical at all!). Here it is:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=8156

Thank you in advance!

The R model is the same as the U Asus used the R to designate that it was sold from a retail outlet the routers are the exact same model. I have the R and it updates the same all the same hardware this has been confirmed by not only Merlin but Asus as well no worries.

The R model is the same as the U Asus used the R to designate that it was sold from a retail outlet the routers are the exact same model. I have the R and it updates the same all the same hardware this has been confirmed by not only Merlin but Asus as well no worries.

Thanks! I just bought one from BestBuy. Hopefully will get time to test tonight and, if not, over the next couple of days. I will update everyone once I do.

Thanks! I just bought one from BestBuy. Hopefully will get time to test tonight and, if not, over the next couple of days. I will update everyone once I do.

Good deal I hope it don't have the issue you describe. Please post back when you hook it up. :)

Good deal I hope it don't have the issue you describe. Please post back when you hook it up. :)

Update: The RT N66R also has the same exact problem (both with my cable and the one it came with). I am totally flabbergasted by this.

ASUS has been in touch and has asked me for a serial number and picture of my cable plug which I sent (attached).

It is entirely possible their latest supplier of RJ45 ports is screwing up. I wonder how the AC66U/R will perform. Looks like the same exact box.

Attachments

• mo cables.jpg
    mo cables.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 387
I just bought an AC 66U , no problem with the ports , I can pick up the router by the cables with nothing disconnecting , same with my RT 66U . My netgear 6250 is a real pain to insert and remove the cables , what a bad design .

Last edited:
I bought my RT-N66U at the beginning of 2012 and don't have this issue. It may be newer models.

I dont understand this, i have tried what the video shows and my 66R does not have the issue. What firmware came on the one you just bought from best buy? Im asking because mine came with the 260 firmware if yours came with a higher firmware it might be a newer build. Sure glad mine dont do this it would be a deal breaker. Keep us posted if you find any further information.

I dont understand this, i have tried what the video shows and my 66R does not have the issue. What firmware came on the one you just bought from best buy? Im asking because mine came with the 260 firmware if yours came with a higher firmware it might be a newer build. Sure glad mine dont do this it would be a deal breaker. Keep us posted if you find any further information.

The two malfunctioning N66U's I got (and returned) from Amazon both had 274 firmware (current is 276 I believe). The N66R I just got couple of days ago from BestBuy was 240 (like yours) which I also upgraded to 276. Again, I stress to everyone that the same problem occurs with the cable ASUS provides in the box (as well as my own CAT 6's obviously).

Thanks!

No I haven't tried different cables? Why? These cables work fine with my previous router. And, yes, the cables are 'locked in' and there's no physical interference as you described.

Thanks!
Actually with the RT-N66U you need at least Cat5e cabling. Anything below that will cause you problems as it won't support Gigabit LAN. Also, the jacks do wear over time, especially the locking tab. Whenever I see connection issues I always replace the cable as part of step 1 in the troubleshooting process just to be safe.

Actually with the RT-N66U you need at least Cat5e cabling. Anything below that will cause you problems as it won't support Gigabit LAN. Also, the jacks do wear over time, especially the locking tab. Whenever I see connection issues I always replace the cable as part of step 1 in the troubleshooting process just to be safe.

The OP has tried multipal cables with no success. Also the routers he is having issues with are bran new so its not the case that the ports are aged or wearing out.

The OP has tried multipal cables with no success. Also the routers he is having issues with are bran new so its not the case that the ports are aged or wearing out.
He specifically said he was reusing his cables from his previous router. My response was a one-off for a specific situation relayed in one certain post. I am not in any way suggesting that everyone's problem is due to aged or worn cabling and/or ports. I guess that I should have put a disclaimer in there.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!