What's new

Managed switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Amadeus1756

Occasional Visitor
Im looking to buy a managed switch (probably a HP ProCurve). I currently have a Netgear WNDR3700 router but like Tims, it's on the way out and I shall replace that soon - probably with an Asus.
However, I'm wondering if I'll experience any issues with things like QOS. I shall plug the HP into the router and all network devices into the HP.
Has anyone got any experience of doing such things and did they experience any issues?

Many thanks

A good switch should not affect wire speeds.
Indeed, if your WiFi/router has 10/100BT ports, and some PCs are 10/100/1000, the switch will improve inter-PC big file transfers, if you do that.

I am pleased with my low cost Netgear GS108T - 8 port 10/100/1000 with light management. I'd have to spend a lot more to get one with web browser based management v.s. using a free app from Netgear. In management... all I wanted was port monitoring (mirroring). There are some other features that I don't use.

Mine came as used from eBay - but on arrival, it looked unused. $50.

Thanks Steve.

I thought I'd go for a managed switch for a couple of reasons:
1) I'm looking to get a nas so would like to use link aggregation for which I'd need a managed switch
2) I like to learn about such things and the best way I find is by doing it. I can get an HP procurve 16 port switch for about £140 - considerably more than the $50 that your switch cost certainly but it sounds as if you got a bargain. I'm not really comfortable with eBay - just can't face the hassle if something isn't what I expected/wanted. I also just got a little bonus so I have to spend that on something! :)

So you plug your router into your switch and all devices into the switch or do some go into the router? Does your router provide DHCP? Each device will the talk directly to each other via the switch, without using the link to the router (which in my case would be used by up to 16 devices).
Would you envisage any issues if I set up QOS - both the router and switch support QOS so would they conflict in any way? I thought that assuming my understanding is correct, I could turn off QOS on the router and just configure it on the switch.

Many thanks

I have had a Procurve 1800-24 for a couple of years on my home LAN. I had one event where a NAS server kept losing connection when on the switch; the issue was resolved by plugging the switch directly to the router. This may have been a NAS server issue-couldn't tell. Else it has worked great, although I have not used it for trunks or VLANs and such.

Also, I am running the switch on an Asus U56N router which has been spectacular.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks.

Interesting that your router seems to have 5 ports rather than the usual 4.

Edit: actually it seems that it is the usual 4

Netgear 3700 and Cisco SG200-08 managed switch

Hello Amadeus: I tried six routers before I settled on the Netgear 3700. It is a gigabit device, has a traffic meter, is plugged into a UPS and has not failed, shut down or rebooted in 10 months. Not about to change mine!

The Cisco managed switch works as advertized, the port mirroring feature was the main interest and it also works as advertized.

George5164

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!