What's new

mapping names to mac addresses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gravityz

i am using a DHCP list which maps mac addresses to ip addresses and names.

i noticed that the backhaul mac addresses from aimesh nodes show "unknown"

i discovered that i can map those as well in the DHCP list but this is obviously not the correctway to do it(but it works)
is there another way to map names to mac adresses to names without assigning them ip addresses?

i know there is somthing like custom_clientlist but that only works from the commandline
this is from the wifi log, i only want to assign a name to the macaddress since this is a backhaul which does not use ip

1708249915551.png

There is some discussion on WiFi names being listed as unknown in the following discussion:

thanks. looks like it shows unknown when it is not in the dhcp or custom_clientlist which is indeed the case.

my question is on how to link a name to this unknown device
i noticed that the custom_clientlist does not hold ip addresses.

workaround would be to add it to the dhcp list and after that delete te entry(and the names stays in custom_clientlist)
thought there would be another way

One way to possibly change the name of a client is, while on the Network Map page, select the Client Icon above the Client list button, then select the icon for the client from the Client status list. Then change the name in the Name field and click the apply button. Should work for WiFi and wired clients. Example screen:
Network Map.jpg

i know but those backhaul channels do not show up as a client.

i added them manually to the dhcp list, changed the name and deleted the entry.
as suspected the name still sticks, even if it is removed from the dhcp list