What's new

Merlin 378.55 with Ac3200 Ext4 and Transmission/Entware question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

guitargeek

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys, I new to this so please be gentle haha... Ok so I installed the latest Merlin without a hitch, love the options and how it runs on my AC3200... I decided to try a USB 3 drive 2tb for a file server using Transmission and Entware combo... Everything installs from what I can tell, I am using the wonderful guides over at : https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki

Here is what I have noticed, when I use Ext4 if I reboot the router or it looses power ect, some files that were on the hardrive are now gone, never to be found again.. If I switch the drive over to Ext2 this does not happen.....So my question: How can I get Ext4 format to work without loosing files?

Thanks....

My guess is because EXT4 has delayed writes. EXT4 needs a clean umount to prevent corruption.

Thanks Tim, I was afraid of that, I did read online that you can shut off the journal of EXT4 which I am thinking would make is as stable as ext2 but still a bit snappier, not sure if it's possible to shut it down via the router via telnet?,

All my systems are window's based so linux is new to me, though I did work in Dos many years ago so in the sense I do have some basic command based experience haha..

Thanks again Tim!!!!