What's new

Merlin (or even stock) firmware on Sprint SP-AC2015

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gigaslackr

New Around Here
I recently got an Asus sp-ac2015 router from a friend and I would really like to install Merlin firmware on it. I know the router is basically an rt-ac66u just rebranded and locked down by sprint. I would really like to use it with my current home router to setup an Asus AImesh network, but the stock firmware on the router does not support it. I have searched everywhere to find information on how to install stock firmware on it, but have been unable to find anything. The only reference I could find was from an old post on this forum, but the post no longer exists. I have tried updating through the browser login as well as using Asus Firmware Restoration software, but nothing works. The upgrade through the web just fails right away, and the upgrade through Firmware Restoration starts working but eventually fails and says it can not contact the router. Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just scrap the router and find a different one?

I recently got an Asus sp-ac2015 router from a friend and I would really like to install Merlin firmware on it. I know the router is basically an rt-ac66u just rebranded and locked down by sprint. I would really like to use it with my current home router to setup an Asus AImesh network, but the stock firmware on the router does not support it. I have searched everywhere to find information on how to install stock firmware on it, but have been unable to find anything. The only reference I could find was from an old post on this forum, but the post no longer exists. I have tried updating through the browser login as well as using Asus Firmware Restoration software, but nothing works. The upgrade through the web just fails right away, and the upgrade through Firmware Restoration starts working but eventually fails and says it can not contact the router. Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just scrap the router and find a different one?
Use of merlin on a unsupported device is illegal. Read the sticky post about this.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...d-forks-on-non-asus-devices-is-illegal.44636/

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you managed to install Asus' or Merlin's firmware it wouldn't help you. The SP-AC2015/RT-AC66U is a MIPS router, and those models don't support AiMesh.

I recently got an Asus sp-ac2015 router from a friend and I would really like to install Merlin firmware on it. I know the router is basically an rt-ac66u just rebranded and locked down by sprint. I would really like to use it with my current home router to setup an Asus AImesh network, but the stock firmware on the router does not support it.

While it's an Asus device, it's a carrier subsidized router, and it is locked down.

Similar concerns with another carrier subsidized router - the TM-1900, which was a customer RT-AC68U, it is also not supported outside of the official firmware updates for that specific model.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/the-tm-ac1900-is-not-supported.48056/

hth... if you can configure it as an Access Point, you can still use it like that, but since the root RT-AC66U is not AI-Mesh capable...

Does anyone know how I can at least turn it into an access point then? Since the router was paid for outright (by the person who gave it to me) it would make sense that I should be able to put whatever firmware I want on it, or at the very least put stock Asus firmware on it.

Does anyone know how I can at least turn it into an access point then?
You could try the "standard" method of turning a WiFi router into an access point. Basically, you statically configure it's LAN interface with an IP for your local network. Then turn off its DHCP server and disable its WAN interface. Then just use one the LAN ports to connect to your local network.

Does anyone know how I can at least turn it into an access point then? Since the router was paid for outright (by the person who gave it to me) it would make sense that I should be able to put whatever firmware I want on it, or at the very least put stock Asus firmware on it.
These units are produced for second parties, they don't qualify for any Asus support in any way. The second party is the provider of the firmware. In this case Sprint.

You could try the "standard" method of turning a WiFi router into an access point. Basically, you statically configure it's LAN interface with an IP for your local network. Then turn off its DHCP server and disable its WAN interface. Then just use one the LAN ports to connect to your local network.
That is how I currently have it set up, but the wifi on that router does not work when connected this way. I can only access the internet through a wired connection. The entire reason I need the router is to extend my wifi to the second floor of my house where the wifi connection through my main router is bad. It looks like I will just end up scrapping the router and going back to the WiFi range extender I had hooked up originally until I can find a different router that I can use to take advantage of aimesha

You can put whatever firmware you have a legal license for on your router. You can write your own firmware and put that on your router, or if there is third-party firmware that doesn't make use of code with a restricted license (or if the code license allows use on your router model), you can put that on your router. The sticking point isn't putting the firmware on your router, it's have a legal license to do so. ASUS stock firmware for the AC66U is not licensed for use on the SP-AC2015, nor are the binary blobs RMerlin uses in his version of the firmware.

While you legally own the router hardware, you only legally own a license for the firmware, which is an important distinction. Since software is licensed, not sold, you (legally speaking) have to follow the rules of the license. The bits that Trend Micro, Broadcom, and ASUS provide are only licensed to be used on certain models of routers. It's illegal to use firmware on a router that the firmware isn't licensed for.

I have SP-AC2015, a question: I downloaded firmware from Asus site for AC66U and cannot upgrade to newer firmware for Windows10 OS. Current firmware version is 3.0.0.4.378_443.0.0.4.378_4443-ge73b6a7. When I upload .trx file it gives me error that file is not proper. Is this because of incompatibility of firmware or it is maxed out at 378 version as its IP is 198.162.27.1 and not 192.168.1.1
If you can educate me I would appreciate.
I looked into this because even with ethernet Cat7 wire I am getting <100 mbps speed. Without Router I get >300 mbps.
Thanks for your help.

Your SP-AC2015 is simply not supported by Asus, it is supported by Sprint. You would need an official Asus RT-AC66U to properly flash to the latest firmware Asus supports.

I have SP-AC2015, a question: I downloaded firmware from Asus site for AC66U and cannot upgrade to newer firmware for Windows10 OS. Current firmware version is 3.0.0.4.378_443.0.0.4.378_4443-ge73b6a7. When I upload .trx file it gives me error that file is not proper. Is this because of incompatibility of firmware or it is maxed out at 378 version as its IP is 198.162.27.1 and not 192.168.1.1
If you can educate me I would appreciate.
I looked into this because even with ethernet Cat7 wire I am getting <100 mbps speed. Without Router I get >300 mbps.
Thanks for your help.
It's because Asus blocks their firmware being loaded onto OEM devices. You need to use the Sprint firmware (or an open source compatible firmware).

Many thanks to L&LD and Colin Taylor for prompt response. This will save time. However, even if it OE router It should not choke the speed. If input is >300 mbps output cannot drop to <100. I have removed auto connect, named different SSID for 2.4 and 5 band as well as other redundancies. I am by no means an expert on the subject, but I enjoy learning. Hence, the question.

Many thanks to L&LD and Colin Taylor for prompt response. This will save time. However, even if it OE router It should not choke the speed. If input is >300 mbps output cannot drop to <100. I have removed auto connect, named different SSID for 2.4 and 5 band as well as other redundancies. I am by no means an expert on the subject, but I enjoy learning. Hence, the question.
I've never used that model so I don't know how it's expected to perform. But make sure that QoS is disabled otherwise you will see that kind of speed reduction.

I've never used that model so I don't know how it's expected to perform. But make sure that QoS is disabled otherwise you will see that kind of speed reduction.
Thanks, under Traffic Manager there is not much to choose, it is Traffic monitor and I have it under Realtime. QoS customization choice is not available at all in SP-AC2015.
Thanks again I will still keep looking. I have checked the specs for LAN ports are 10/100/1000. So it is capable, just something is holding it down!

If you have enabled anything like Traffic Monitor, that is slowing it down itself. ;)

Thanks, under Traffic Manager there is not much to choose, it is Traffic monitor and I have it under Realtime. QoS customization choice is not available at all in SP-AC2015.
I found the Sprint manual and it looks like you are correct, there is no QoS on that model. There is only one mention of "QoS" in the manual when it says "General > Adaptive QoS> Traffic Monitor". That is obviously an error because that option isn't present in any of the screenshots. I'm guessing Sprint removed QoS from the original Asus firmware but botched that line in the manual.

If you have enabled anything like Traffic Monitor, that is slowing it down itself. ;)
Traffic Monitor will have no effect on speed. It's a GUI page, it cannot be enabled or disabled.

I found the Sprint manual and it looks like you are correct, there is no QoS on that model. There is only one mention of "QoS" in the manual when it says "General > Adaptive QoS> Traffic Monitor". That is obviously an error because that option isn't present in any of the screenshots. I'm guessing Sprint removed QoS from the original Asus firmware but botched that line in the manual.

Traffic Monitor will have no effect on speed. It's a GUI page, it cannot be enabled or disabled.
Thanks to both, I again checked as far as I knew, no choice of monitor or stop for traffic! like said above L&LD.
@CT: sorry for your loss of time, I was tempted to attach pdf of SP AC2015 guide but thought that would be easily accessible on forum and its was around 6MB (large file to attach here). I have looked into encryption but that is for pw to connect as WPA2-psk AES and changing this to lower is not worth it. I will keep trying and if speed increases dramatically which I doubt, I will report it here.

If you don't have any success you could try the FreshTomato firmware instead. I've not used it myself so I can't offer any help installing or configuring it.

https://freshtomato.org/downloads/freshtomato-mips/2020/2020.7/K26RT-AC/
Status Update: read about Tomato and thanks for narrowing the version (Shibby Tomato). However, tried with patience several permutations (of reset button, WPS button, powering sequence, etc) to put SP AC2015 in rescue mode but unsuccessful several attempts. Tried two different Asus FW restoration utilities as well. Now trying to understand if using DD-WRT TFTP for Windows will work or not. Still have not done that. Meanwhile bought, but not yet here used RTAC68U AC1900 to make main Router. I really don't need AI Mesh but want to play with it as I have Vacation days to burn and outside projects on hold with snow on ground. Will update the outcome here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!