What's new

Money is No object. Best network advice.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dratifk

Occasional Visitor
First my current setup. I have my modem (in BRidge mode) in the Basement with a 16Port Prosafe Gigabit switch. I have Road Runner Wideband Service (50MB Down 5 MB up). Currently I have a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH (main Router in the basement). The Wireless strenght is too low since its in the basement to cover my 5000 Sq Ft House. So I have 2 wireless Access Points WHR-HP-G300N.

I'm trying to simplify my setup by using a very good wired Router with a good wireless router which I can place on the first or 2nd floor. I have Ethernet wiring all over the place in in my home. I'm thinking a Cisco E4200 would be a good wireless router. I would appreciate any advice. Not sure this is the way to go. I have lots of hardwired devices including:

2 Denon 4302 Receivers, 3 Popcorn Hour Mediaplayers, 2 Roku boxes, Security DVR, HP mediasmart Server, Wii, 2 Dish NEtwork 722 receivers. 2 Wired Desktops 2 Laptops, Ipad 2, 2 Iphones, OOMA, Micasaverde Home Automation Box, and others

Last edited:
Multiple access points connected via Ethernet is the most reliable way to ensure good wireless coverage.

If what you have is working, I'd leave it alone.

Thanks

Here is what I did. I switched the Ubee Wideband Router/Modem from Bridge mode to Router Mode and just left the Buffalo router hooked up with the router function turned off but the WDS on and left the 2 access points alone. So far so good. 50Mbs down and 5Mbs Up is a whole new experience.

If money is no object then the best wireless system I have found is Ruckus Wireless. I Install residential automation control systems so we have touch panels and ipads that constantly are roaming around 10K to 30K square foot homes. We haven't had a single hiccup with Ruckus AP's and controllers.

Be sure too that the client devices are best that's practical. Transmitter power, best practical antennas, etc.

Although my Wired devieces are rock solid with TWC Wideband service Still not happy with wireless. Seems its slow and sometimes I have trouble maintaing a stable connection. MAnytimes the access points stop connecting to the main router and I have to do a reboot.

Was wondering maybe I should have someone come in and run ethernet to the center of the house and install a single wireless router like Cisco E4200 and not use access points. I'd still need a BRidge in the garage to use for my Etherrain Z-wave controller. You guys think this is the way to go?

Ubee Time Warner router as a Hard wired router and a single wireless router installed in the center of the house. Sould provide very good wireless coverage.

I think my mistake is looking at routers when I should just install 2 access points and a Bridge. CAn anyone recommend a great accesspoint

Last edited: