What's new

MU-MIMO Question.

• Thread starter Deleted member 22229
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 22229

I understand that one using a MU-MIMO capable router must also have clients that support MU-MIMO to fully take advantage of it. Now to the question is there any advantage at all that can be gained using MU-MIMO with N clients or AC clients that don't support it ? Thanks for any thoughts and advice..

I understand that one using a MU-MIMO capable router must also have clients that support MU-MIMO to fully take advantage of it. Now to the question is there any advantage at all that can be gained using MU-MIMO with N clients or AC clients that don't support it ? Thanks for any thoughts and advice..
No

Well that just sucks... I thought I read a thread here were someone said it made a difference on older devices. Guess it's time to think about upgrading some wifi cards around here. :eek:

All clients will benefit when an MU-MIMO router and at least one MU-MIMO client are used. In the direct network being tested or a network that affects the tested network because of proximity, channel(s) used or other interactions or interference.

With no MU-MIMO clients in the immediate and surrounding area but still using a MU-MIMO enabled router, SU-MIMO N and AC clients may still find benefits because of higher end hardware, design and protocols used in the newer routers that support MU-MIMO.

I don't think it would be much (possibly 5 to 10 percent, if we're lucky)? But just like an AC class router used with N class clients gives a noticeable improvement in network use, a good example of an MU-MIMO router may very well do the same. ;)

Thanks that does make sense. I just received a beta firmware from Asus for my AC3100 that has MU-MIMO support but not sure if I should even bother installing it if there absolutely nothing to gain. Maybe I will flash it later and do some testing I can always go back to 1354 if needed.

Thanks that does make sense. I just received a beta firmware from Asus for my AC3100 that has MU-MIMO support but not sure if I should even bother installing it if there absolutely nothing to gain. Maybe I will flash it later and do some testing I can always go back to 1354 if needed.

Please test it fairly (minimal and manual config after reset to factory defaults) and let us know. :)

Slight benefit - Most shipping MU capable (current or promised) are 4*4:4, which gives a bit of transceiver gain due to the extra radio and spatial streams (collectively about 4-5 dB improvement sometimes).

MU is pretty much bleeding edge, and early testing...

I see no harm in flashing, other than the general risk due to it being pre-release firmware - if no MU clients, it's still going to do SU, and perhaps a rollup of various bug fixes from the GA production release.

Ok so I loaded the code did a complete factory reset and set up. Have not done much testing yet other then making sure all devices are hooked up and working and they are. Speeds are excellent and right were they should be 90/12. This firmware defiantly has a faster UI then 1354 also the network map seems to work better with many more custom icons to choose from. I will post back later after I do some more testing apparently this firmware has more then just support for MU-MIMO.

Well after 5 days of using 380.1681 i can say i dont see any difference having MU-MIMO support this is no surprise since i dont have any clients that support it. That said this firmware is rock solid so far on all computers and devices i have attached to it speeds are excellent no disconnects streaming HD on both Roku devices is 100% solid. Bottom line time to invest in some new MIMO clients but i see no reason not to continue running this build works fantastic. Got to say the AC-3100 was on the expensive side but it has been an excellent router right out of the box for me. :):D

Well after 5 days of using 380.1681 i can say i dont see any difference having MU-MIMO support this is no surprise since i dont have any clients that support it. That said this firmware is rock solid so far on all computers and devices i have attached to it speeds are excellent no disconnects streaming HD on both Roku devices is 100% solid. Bottom line time to invest in some new MIMO clients but i see no reason not to continue running this build works fantastic. Got to say the AC-3100 was on the expensive side but it has been an excellent router right out of the box for me. :):D
I have 380.1681 installed on my RT-AC88U, and it has been excellent as well.

All clients will benefit when an MU-MIMO router and at least one MU-MIMO client are used.
This is incorrect. MU-MIMO's benefit is that multiple MU STAs can share a single transmit timeslot. If there is only one MU STA, there is no sharing.

It takes at least TWO MU STAs to derive any benefit from MU-MIMO.

This is incorrect. MU-MIMO's benefit is that multiple MU STAs can share a single transmit timeslot. If there is only one MU STA, there is no sharing.

It takes at least TWO MU STAs to derive any benefit from MU-MIMO.

Of course you're right. (I should have said at least 'two' MU-MIMO clients).