What's new

My Asus DSL-N66U stopped connecting :(

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Astralogic

Occasional Visitor
Hi, my Asus router stopped connecting suddenly and I'd like some help figuring out why. It happened when I was on the phone to plusnet and they did a line test (or something).

Anyway whatever they did broke my router or their own support for it, I had no net while they sent me one of their routers which I have now (and the net works on it).

Anyway, my upload speed is faster with the Asus router which is why I want it working again.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated. I have found posts on the PlusNet forums with screenshots of the right settings, none have worked, I always used the auto internet setup on the Asus router, which also doesn't work anymore.

My log is attached.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    63.4 KB · Views: 385
Have you tried this from Plusnet forum

From this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113213.0.html
Yes, more or less. In the existing TG582n router, log into the admin interface and disconnect the PPPoE session using the "Disconnect" button on the Broadband section. Then unplug the router. Leave the modem on - try not to disturb it if possible. Then plug the Asus router into the modem and power it up. Log into its admin page and you should get a "set-up wizard" which will walk you through the set up. It should auto-detect the type of connection (PPPoE) required. You'll be asked for your Plusnet username and password (the username is in the format username@plusdsl.net) and you can configure the wireless network. It's all very straightforward. If you have devices that can use the 5GHz wifi band, it's best to give the 5GHz network a different name (SSID) from the 2.4GHz network, then you can easily see which network your device is connected to. If you don't then you can turn off the 5GHz radio and save a bit of power.

Have you tried this from Plusnet forum

From this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113213.0.html
Yes, more or less. In the existing TG582n router, log into the admin interface and disconnect the PPPoE session using the "Disconnect" button on the Broadband section. Then unplug the router. Leave the modem on - try not to disturb it if possible. Then plug the Asus router into the modem and power it up. Log into its admin page and you should get a "set-up wizard" which will walk you through the set up. It should auto-detect the type of connection (PPPoE) required. You'll be asked for your Plusnet username and password (the username is in the format username@plusdsl.net) and you can configure the wireless network. It's all very straightforward. If you have devices that can use the 5GHz wifi band, it's best to give the 5GHz network a different name (SSID) from the 2.4GHz network, then you can easily see which network your device is connected to. If you don't then you can turn off the 5GHz radio and save a bit of power.

Yes, that's the standard set up, which doesn't work anymore (all of a sudden). My log is included in the hopes it states why it's not connecting, but I don't understand it.

This is getting pretty ridiculous guys, someone knows where I can go to find someone who understands this log file surely!?

someone knows where I can go to find someone who understands this log file surely!?

The manufacturer would be the most likely to understand the content of this log.

I can't find an Asus forum for this router though. That is where I tried to go before posting here.
Open a ticket with ASUS or put the request in a "general" or unsupported hardware forum section. We are not going to be able to help you here.

Can't be specific....but a couple of observations

Code:
2010-12-31 16:44:08 [Debug] kernel: nas8_0: no IPv6 routers present
2010-12-31 18:09:18 [Warning] syslog: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
2010-12-31 18:09:19 [Error] syslog: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
2010-12-31 16:01:05 [Informational] WAN Connection: Wan link down.

- PADO timeouts are historically something upstream of the router.
- Your system time is jumping all over the place. This can cause problems with starting.

Can't be specific....but a couple of observations

Code:
2010-12-31 16:44:08 [Debug] kernel: nas8_0: no IPv6 routers present
2010-12-31 18:09:18 [Warning] syslog: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
2010-12-31 18:09:19 [Error] syslog: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
2010-12-31 16:01:05 [Informational] WAN Connection: Wan link down.

- PADO timeouts are historically something upstream of the router.
- Your system time is jumping all over the place. This can cause problems with starting.

Something upstream of the router? Is it possible my ISP did something to disable the routers ability to connect?