What's new

Mysterious Internet connectivity issue (LAN OK, but WAN not)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gosu

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

I bought 2 Asus RT-AX92U around 1 year ago and I quickly moved from stock to merlin hoping to get rocksteady wifi and network connectivity, but since I bought these 2 routers, I had really mixed results and they are far from being plug and forget as I hoped.

One of my recurring issues, is that some devices (different brands) randomly lose their Internet connectivity. I can ping them and control them on the LAN but they don't report back to their online servers (Xiaomi, Yeelight and Broadcom for instance).
Even if I disconnect them and plug them back, same result.
I found 2 different ways to temporarily fix it:
1/ I can leave them unplugged for several minutes (5min at least), then plug them back.
2/ if I changed their DHCP reservation for another IP, then they come back alive (but since it restarts the wifi, sometimes I lose another device)
Both options work, until next time :(

They all have fixed DHCP IP, so I don't understand why it would be so random and why it would always work locally.
I hope I didn't make a mistake choosing this brand or this model, are you aware if it is an Asus common issue ?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I hate mysteries in IT !
It drives me crazy 🤪 and it makes my home automation randomly unusable.

Cheers :D

Last edited:
Your mystery most likely will remain unsolved because RT-AX92U are now End-of-Life routers and no further firmware support or development is expected. My advice - for AiMesh setup use available stock Asuswrt and find whatever version works better for you. Nothing else you can do.

Your mystery most likely will remain unsolved because RT-AX92U are now End-of-Life routers and no further firmware support or development is expected. My advice - for AiMesh setup use available stock Asuswrt and find whatever version works better for you. Nothing else you can do.
are you sure there will be no new FW ? Even from Merlin/Gnuton ?

it seems to be a popular model, with Wifi 6.

it seems to be a popular model, with Wifi 6.

Not popular at all with firmware issues and update delays history.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!