What's new

NAS 20cm next to Asus GTAX11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

poudenes

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

Maybe a strange question. But my NAS DS220+ stands 10cm next to my Asus GT-AX 11000 router.
Everything is working ok. But wondering if the NAS can impact the WiFi connections of the router.

POV: NAS stands on the side of the router and on the NAS side there are no WiFi connections. Everything comes from the other side (router side)

theoretically (extremally very small chance) yes - like physical obstruction, EMC from IDE drives etc.

practically you can test it with for example wi-fi analyser (play store) - just test on your phone range, signal strange, transfer with and w/o NAS

I installed sauna (isolated aluminium layer for heat protection) on 1/3 flat wall and afraid it will impact wi-fi or 4/5G but it did not.

Put more space between the two.

Use different power outlet (ie. Different breaker).

Put the NAS as low as possible, without it being on the floor.

Well, my DS220+ is on the same UPS as my AX86U Pro. No issues here. And the router is about a meter above the NAS with no apparent issues. The NAS is on my desk next to my PC and I do not feel the need to wear a foil hat. 😀
You should be good!

Use different power outlet (ie. Different breaker).

I'm dubious about that advice. Years ago I lost equipment several times due to nearby lightning strikes, and eventually figured out that the probable reason was that I had ethernet wires running between machines that were powered from opposite sides of the 240V incoming power. A strike that hit just one of the two power wires could cause sufficient voltage differential to fry connected NICs (and, in some cases, adjacent parts on the motherboards). I believe I had UPSes or surge-suppressing power strips under all the gear, but that didn't help much for this because it was only clamping each power feed independently.

Eventually I made a rule that I wouldn't directly connect any gear that wasn't being fed from the same power circuit, falling back on wi-fi to connect clusters of gear on different circuits. I don't believe I lost any gear since then. (It might've helped that I also got a whole-house surge suppressor installed at the meter.)

Nowadays, instead of wi-fi links I make a point of installing an ethernet surge suppressor on any cable run between machines that are not on the same power circuit. I still insist on having a UPS powering any computer or network gear that I care about, but I've never seen problems from connecting multiple devices to the same UPS.

I do agree with trying to put your router more than 10cm from other gear. You probably don't need more than a meter's separation though --- remember radiated power falls off as the square of the distance.

I did the test. Moved the NAS away for about a meter. Did test with Wifi Explorer (MacOS) and didn't see any difference in strength or speed.
So I put the NAS back. Also I don't have other location the NAS, but hey... I tested it now and have some result haha

If those are the full details of the testing you did, it is inconclusive.

Strength or speed isn't what I would expect to see change. Latency/consistency are.

When you turn off the NAS (no power), do you see a difference in network performance (i.e. not speed or 'strength')?

When the NAS is on, and being fully utilized, do you see a difference in network performance (same as above...)?

In almost all of my installs, the NAS is in a physically different location than the router(s). Not only for security but for the 'cleanest' RF possible for the WiFi to work with too.

Of course, with the many possible combinations of hardware available, there can be examples where none of the above may make a difference. But it is hardly wearying to just use best practices and not have that as a possibility at all.

I'm dubious about that advice. Years ago I lost equipment several times due to nearby lightning strikes, and eventually figured out that the probable reason was that I had ethernet wires running between machines that were powered from opposite sides of the 240V incoming power. A strike that hit just one of the two power wires could cause sufficient voltage differential to fry connected NICs (and, in some cases, adjacent parts on the motherboards). I believe I had UPSes or surge-suppressing power strips under all the gear, but that didn't help much for this because it was only clamping each power feed independently.

Eventually I made a rule that I wouldn't directly connect any gear that wasn't being fed from the same power circuit, falling back on wi-fi to connect clusters of gear on different circuits. I don't believe I lost any gear since then. (It might've helped that I also got a whole-house surge suppressor installed at the meter.)

Nowadays, instead of wi-fi links I make a point of installing an ethernet surge suppressor on any cable run between machines that are not on the same power circuit. I still insist on having a UPS powering any computer or network gear that I care about, but I've never seen problems from connecting multiple devices to the same UPS.

I do agree with trying to put your router more than 10cm from other gear. You probably don't need more than a meter's separation though --- remember radiated power falls off as the square of the distance.
Usually on nearby lightning hits, it is an elevated ground potential that fries electronics as most are not designed for over 25-50 volts elevation. Direct hits to power line - all bets are off, even if you have whole house suppression ( which i do) as the MOVs used can only absorb so much energy. WHS will help with everything but a direct strike. Don't forget to replace the WHS box every decade or so, depending on number of strikes nearby, as the MOVs wear over the number of hits, even if the status light indicates "good"/

Maybe a strange question. But my NAS DS220+ stands 10cm next to my Asus GT-AX 11000 router.
Everything is working ok. But wondering if the NAS can impact the WiFi connections of the router.

You're fine...

As with all consumer equipment - there are regulatory tests that are done to minimize RF interference with other devices...