What's new

NAS questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Widkidone

New Around Here
I’m new to the NAS world. I have gone through the forums and I haven’t gotten an answer on some questions. I’m trying to see if I can have a localized home storage unit to back up files from multiple laptops.

1. Can a NAS back up files directly from a laptop without internet connection?

2. How do you choose between QNAP and Synology? Both look interesting.

3. How do you know how much storage you need? I was looking at a 4 bay with three 12TB drives. Would Raid 1 be the best way to go?

My priority is to back up important files from my main laptop to the NAS. I’m trying to reduce my dependence on cloud storage. Thank you in advance.

1) yes

2) QNAP and Synology are both good - QNAP is a bit more technical, Synology is more approachable - but at the end of the day, they serve the same needs with equal capability

3) storage needs - really depends - but to your comment about a 4 bay with 3 drives - no, don't do that - you'll need all bays filled.

How much space/capacity - it depends one the needs - some people have extensive media libraries, some source code repositories, some have a need to consolidate backups across different computers...

8tb drives are a good place - I recommend Seagate Ironwolf, but folks have their preferences...

One thing not to forget however, have a plan to back up the NAS itself - RAID, by it's very nature, increases the odds of failure because any single disk could fail at any time, and you're spreading your data across those disks.

I’m new to the NAS world. I have gone through the forums and I haven’t gotten an answer on some questions. I’m trying to see if I can have a localized home storage unit to back up files from multiple laptops.

3. How do you know how much storage you need? I was looking at a 4 bay with three 12TB drives. Would Raid 1 be the best way to go?

My priority is to back up important files from my main laptop to the NAS. I’m trying to reduce my dependence on cloud storage. Thank you in advance.
1. Yes but you should have a good LAN. If you do not have connection to the internet a NAS may be able to provide DHCP to your clients.

2. Choose but choose carefully. I can, however, recommend Synology.

3. There are ways to calculate storage but you will, in time, need more (it just works that way). I started out with 4 TB in a two drive NAS, was able to upgrade to 8 TB drives without loosing data and moved those 8 TB drives to a new NAS. I just use the default Synology file system. With more than two drives you can set up with a fail over spare. With the reliability of hard drives today I feel that a two drive unit is good for me and Amazon can get me another drive in two days. I did have a 4 TB drive fail and was able to replace it with no data loss. Use drives designed for NAS. I use WD Red Pro.

You can see from my signature that I use two Synology NAS. The older one, located in a different room in the house, has 4 TB drives and auto starts once a week to rsync certain directories on the main NAS then powers off. Just my way of protecting critical data/files from fire, theft or other acts of God.

I went with a Synology DS220+, loaded with 2x4TB drives. Works great, running a media server with a docker app.., accessing storage remotely. I am happy with the apps provided on my phone, seems well made.
As far as storage, you have to anticipate what you'll need in the future. If you store media files like movies you best load up, storage is cheap. Just remember that Raid is not Backup, and have a solution for your mission critical info. I save my photos additionally on a separate portable drive and online. Best to have it at different physical locations.

What I suggest... covers all bases

Synology DS118 (diskless) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076FZ7VJ2/?tag=snbforums-20

Seagate Ironwolf 8TB Sata - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084ZV4DXB/?tag=snbforums-20

Seagate 8TB One Touch USB - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093WZHS1G/?tag=snbforums-20

Cyberpower CP1000 UPS - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QZ3UG0/?tag=snbforums-20

Because the power goes out from time to time - NAS's don't like that.

2. Taking a different approach I would say like many others if you like to tinker than the QNAP route could be best. I have always liked the Apple vs PC comparison. QNAP is like the PC it adds flexability but complexity.

If your Priority is a backup I would bet once you start using one that Priority will change :) You need to ask yourself what would I use it for?

I bought my QNAP 453D as a PLEX server with the bonus of backups. Now, I use it as a cloud and I really have no need to backup the machines because everything is on the NAS. Local drives are only used if it is necessary for large files. Then I went to backing up phones automatically and organizing them in a inteligent way. This users info here (my wife and kids), their Photos here, my videos there, documents ..... etc. Then I started to use the Docker stuff for hosting web pages and some development. I added a virtual machine. I installed docker DupGuru to dedupicate the photos, music and videos because my backup policy was silly and had duplicate files everywhere! I hate being married to the likes of Apple, Google and Mircosoft so I just added QuMagie not sure how that will really work out yet. (It is a photo video multimedia app that allows you view/search multimedia files instead of Goggle photos.)

I am sure you get the point. You need to look past the backup and answer the question, What else would I want? I would go online and explore the options and things that people use there NAS's for. If you are really just looking for a backup use a cloud storage service.

Last edited:
@QuietWon, NAS is not a backup. Ever. I hope you have multiple NAS you can depend on for the reliability of 'your' cloud.

And, of course, you need to back up the data too.

@QuietWon, NAS is not a backup. Ever. I hope you have multiple NAS you can depend on for the reliability of 'your' cloud.

And, of course, you need to back up the data too.
As Widkidone decribed, the data on a NAS can be the backup for a phone, computer etc. ie you can restore the original device.

In my case, for my cloud, I have remote backups of all the things that I can not replace easily and local backups for the easier stuff. Point taken! (edited, here I am saying you are correct. I agree with your point and people should be reminded that a NAS is NOT a backup. :)

Last edited:
To be clear, a NAS is network attached storage. On its own, it is not a backup device. Even if you can store other device's backup files on it.

NAS is not backup (it was never meant to be).

The offline backups that you do of the NAS are your backups. Ideally, at least one of those backups are stored offsite.

And, as mentioned above, testing of those backups is also critical to your peace of mind, when thinking you have your data safe.

@Widkidone Going back to your OP, what's the problem you're trying to solve using a NAS solution?

You mention reducing a dependency on cloud services but in what context?

Cost? You'll get quite a bit of cloud service for the cost of a NAS and 35TB of usable storage. And don't forget the personal time cost.
Complexity? Maybe a change to what/how you use cloud services could work better.
Phioiosophical? While everything out there defaulting to "you must use our cloud" is annoying, I personally think cloud does have a place.

Just wondering if there might be other advice people may have that could help.

What is a backup device? That is a good question.

Technically, any device can be a 'backup' of the data on an original device. But the second that original device is formatted, reset to defaults, stolen, dropped in a lake, or destroyed, that 'backup' is now the only copy of that data and isn't a backup anymore.

On the other hand, a 'backup' device may have greater statistical chances of going bad on its own (e.g. NAS, with any RAID option, or, a USB key, with a much higher chance of failure than other storage mediums). When such an event occurs, there is also no backup of the original data and thus, no backup device.

The point? There is no such thing as a single 'backup device'. If you believe there is, you're thinking about your data wrong.

You can have a backup strategy though.

A second NAS can be used to replicate the data from another NAS from one location to another over the internet (this is a backup against theft and physical damage).

A set of USB drives that are rotated weekly, monthly, etc. with one or more being held offsite is also a good backup strategy.

Having consistent and periodic testing of the validity of those backups is also important. Many examples of backups being done religiously and when called upon to restore that data, discovering that there was none to restore from the 'backup' device.

My main system (ThinkPad) has three main SSDs: main OS and data drive, Backup, and Archive drives. Depending on the importance of the data I'm working on, a copy of that data will be copied to each drive (always from the original source; the main OS and data drive). This original source data is also copied to my main NAS on a daily basis. And to my second and third NAS on a weekly and monthly basis too.

This is in addition to select data being continuously uploaded to OneDrive and/or pCloud.

The most important data from the three NAS drives are also copied monthly to 4 external drives (rotated, with one being kept offsite always).

The notes I keep on these backups are my guides as to which data in those backups is the most current and relevant (if needed).

This backup strategy affords me many catastrophes worth of bad luck to happen, and not lose any data. I also randomly test files a few times a week from all backup locations to have some confidence in those backups too.

I don't back up my phone because it doesn't contain anything important (I don't trust it to). Yes, when I buy a new phone, I configure it from scratch.

When all backups have been performed, I have up to 19 copies of my data, in five or more physical locations, and along with my notes, I can get almost any version of that data I need. And if I'm truthful, I still don't feel my data is safe (100%).

Any storage device can be a backup device. But that doesn't mean you have a backup.

The strategy for your backups is more important than the devices used. Multiple backups, in multiple locations, using multiple methods/hardware. This is what I have found to work consistently, and reliably in real-world use.

Anyone 'device', NAS or not, can be part of that strategy. But each method I use is chosen for its reliability, scalability, and dependability too.

Any one method on its own has too many failings and shortcomings to be considered a 'backup'.

Depending on how important your data is and how much data you have to preserve, the strategy you create will be dependent on it wholly.

@L&LD nice write up.
I backup computers, laptops, and iphones to my NAS. Backups are to two separate drives, one stored off site. When a full restore was required, I wiped the NAS, which then became my backup device, as L&LD clearly stated above was useful.
You would read of my grisly death, if I ever lost any of The Family's precious data.
@Widkidone
1: Yes
2: I chose Synology for the software and hardware, whereas QNAP is advanced on hardware.
3: Storage needs are personal. I put 4-10TB drives in my 918+ and currently less than 1/2 full.

Last edited: