What's new

NAT Loopback (RT-AC68U / DSL-N66U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

outrage_uk

Occasional Visitor
Here is my setup:

Asus RT-AC68U - (Merlin 3.0.0.4_374.42_2) - 192.168.10.1
Asus DSL-N66U - (Asus 1.0.7.0) - 192.168.0.5
WAN - (PPPoE VDSL2) - Dynamic IP (DDNS set up and working)

((( [AC68U] <---> [DSL-N66U] <---> [WAN]

I understand that this double NAT setup is not ideal, but the DSL-N66U doesn't seem to work in bridged mode.

I have servers on my internal network on the 192.168.10.x subnet which need to be accessible from the WAN.

The DSL-N66U is set to give the AC68U an IP address of 192.168.0.10. I have set the DMZ on the DSL-N66U to 192.168.0.10.

Port forwarding is set up correctly on the AC68U, and clients can access the servers from WAN. However, internal LAN clients can not access the servers from the WAN DDNS address. :(

I remember for DD-WRT, I had to manually add a firewall script to get this working (although that was even for a direct WAN connection).
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=89353

Could anyone help get this set up, I can not find any NAT Loopback settings in any of the configuration pages :confused:

With a double NAT situation you also may need double port forwarding.

You have the AC68U set in the N66U's DMZ however that only gets the data to the router. IF you have a NAS device on your LAN you need to forward the appropriate ports to the NAS IP on the AC68U. Another option is just connect a drive to the USB port on the AC68U.

Just curious why you are using a double NAT solution and not just using the AC68U as an AP behind the N66U?

Thanks for your reply.

It's mainly CCTV servers that are running which use mainly HTTP, but changed from port 80.

I could try use the N66U as the router with the AC68U as an access point - it just seems a shame "wasting" such a powerful router and putting the extra work on the "slower" N66U ;)

Port forwarding must be working because externally from the internet or from 3G mobile, I can connect fine - I just can't use the DDNS (WAN IP) from the internal (192.168.10.x) LAN network to access the CCTV servers.