What's new

NBG420N and Trendnet wireless N gaming adaptor slow.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Crunch77

New Around Here
yxel NBG420N and Trendnet wireless N gaming adaptor slow.

I bought the Trendnet TEW-647GA to upgrade my connection to my xbox360, which had been using an Edimax 54g wireless AP. It is placed not very far from the router, but after the upgrade to the N adaptor, I still only get around 54g speeds. I have been writing to Trendnet support for help, below I have copy/pasted the troubleshooting, which has not been successfull, but they have no more suggestions, rather than it is my Zyxel router.

The best throughput I have experienced using a Vista filetransfer is 2-3Mbyte/second

COPY PASTE:

Helpdesk Ticket Info
Model Number: TEW-647GA
Version: 1.0R
Operating System: Windows Vista (64 Bit)
Serial Number: N/A
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 march 2009
Issue Category: Wireless – Connection Drop
Issue: Very poor speed. Sent 1 unit back to dealer thought it was faulty. Recieved a new one from another retailer.

Connected to Xbox 360. Getting exactly same throughput at the old 54G AP. Connected to laptop getting same or worse throughput than builtin 54G wireless card. Signal and other values are close to 100%. Tried with no encryption.
Connecting to router Zyxel NBG420N. My desktop with a wireless USB dongle connects to this wirelessly with 150Mbps.

Attachments
There are no attachments
Notes: 12/22/2009 12:43:50 PM
XXXXXXX
(Technical Support Rep) Dear Customer,

Please log into the unit and go to the Wireless>Advance section and change the Channel BandWidth to 20/40. You might also try changing the HT Mode to Green Field.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12/22/2009 2:12:29 PM
I have done both to no avail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12/23/2009 7:46:51 AM
XXXXXXX

The following are some general wireless tips to help minimize the impact of interference within an environment.

Assign your network a unique SSID. Do not use anything that would be identifying like “Smith Family Network”. Choose something that you would easily identify when searching for available wireless networks.

Do not turn off the SSID broadcast. The SSID broadcast is intended to be on and turning it off can cause connectivity issues. The preferred method of securing a wireless network is to choose a strong form of encryption with a strong and varied encryption key.

Change the channel. Most wireless access points and routers are defaulted to channel 6. If you have a site survey tool that will display the channels you can plan your channel selection around neighboring access points to minimize interference from them. If your site survey tool does not display the channel try using channels 1 or 11.

If you are using an 802.11n router or access point you can also make the following changes. Change the channel bandwidth to 20/40MHz. This will provide the highest possible performance using an 802.11n device. Also, if using 802.11n you should be securing the network with WPA2 security.

Please also make sure that the wireless hardware is not placed in any type of shelving or enclosures. There should be plenty of free space around the antennas to allow the wireless signal to propagate.

There are a number of other environmental factors that can impact the range of wireless devices.

1. Adjust your wireless devices so that the signal is traveling in a straight path, rather than at an angle. The more material the signal has to pass through the more signal you will lose.

2. Keep the number of obstructions to a minimum. Each obstruction can reduce the range of a wireless device. Position the wireless devices in a manner that will minimize the amount of obstructions between them.

3. Building materials can have a large impact on your wireless signal. In an indoor environment, try to position the wireless devices so that the signal passes through less dense material such as dry wall. Dense materials like metal, solid wood, glass or even furniture may block or degrade the signal.

4. Antenna orientation can also have a large impact on your wireless signal. Use the wireless adapter’s site survey tool to determine the best antenna orientation for your wireless devices.

5. Interference from devices that produce RF (radio frequency) noise can also impact your signal. Position your wireless devices away from anything that generates RF noise, such as microwaves, radios and baby monitors.

6. Any device operating on the 2.4GHz frequency will cause interference. Devices such as 2.4GHz cordless phones or other wireless remotes operating on the 2.4GHz frequency can potentially drop the wireless signal. Although the phone may not be in use, the base can still transmit wireless signal. Move the phone’s base station as far away as possible from your wireless devices.

If you are still experiencing low or no signal consider repositioning the wireless devices or installing additional access points. The use of higher gain antennas may also provide the necessary coverage depending on the environment.

12/23/2009 11:18:30 AM
Hi. I have tried the above. Our house is located in an area with no other wireless networks, there is no interference, the usb stick connects at 150 mbps, and I also tried the trendnet in the same room as the wireless router, and it still only connects at around 54g speed. This has been tried with two seperate trendnet 647's

12/23/2009 1:21:08 PM
XXXXXXX

What type of throughput speeds are you getting from the internet?

Please note that the connection speed and the actual throughput are different?

If you are not satisfied with this response, please contact the place of purchase and ask then if they will exchange the units or at least one and see if you get the same results. If you get the same results, then the issue is not with the 674's but something on your network causing the issue.

Sorry for the lenghty post, but I'm at my wits end.

Best regards
Mikael

*added:
From the internet I get 8Mbit/s download and around 1.7Mbit/s upload.(not important here, but the tech asked)
Transfering files on the LAN, I experience around 2Mbyte/s using the Trendnet wireless N adaptor, when placed quite close to the router. Other places the speed just degrades. When watching the graph tool for mediacenter extender it gives the same or less throughput than the old 54G AP.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!