What's new

Need A NAS Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ultragc

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

I was ask by my boss to setup Test/QA environment for my work. Here are the basics:

1. I will be buying an HP Proliant rack mount server (model undecided) with enought 32GB RAM, 2x75GB HD for the OS.
2. I will install Microsoft 2008 Hyper-V to host several virtual server.
3. I want to use an external NAS to hold all my virtual disks. I need something that can attached to the server w/ decent performance.

My question to all is, what should I do as far as the NAS goes? With limited budget, $1500 for the NAS. Should I get a ReadyNAS NVX and using iSCSI and do I need to buy additional iSCSI controller?

I am looking for recommendations/options.

Thanks in advance.

Direct attached storage is a bit too expensive. I like NAS is because it offer more flexibilities.

No NAS is going to provide the performance you'll get from direct attached storage. Given that you're going to the trouble of buying a server vs. a NAS to host the virtual servers, I'd go with DAS, not NAS.

If you're going to use a NAS and iSCSI, be sure that the iSCSI features that you desire are supported. You might want to look at QNAP's latest Atom D510-based products.