What's new

Need advice with new router and AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

timmimd

New Around Here
I am looking for advice on what to do with setting up a wifi network in my sisters new house. She is renting the equipment she has right now

Here is how the set up is now:

Arris DG1670A modem/router combo on one end of the house
Actiontec WCB3000N extender on the other end of the house

I want to dump the leased equipment and get her set up with something better. The house is about 3,000 sq ft and it is all one floor so it is spread out. I'm planning on getting a SB6141 and router on one end of the house then setting up an AP around the middle of the house. She is not very tech savvy so my goal here is to get it set up to where I can set it up and she wont have to worry about it. All of the devices that will be on the network will be wireless. Most of the devices will be Mac products (iphone 5 and above, new macbook air, new macbook pro, new imac, and a smart tv). I was thinking about even an airport extreme and adding an AP. I just want it to run smoothly and all one wireless network that will cover the entire house. What are some recommendations? Would you change the set up? Should i even think about a LR Ubiquiti?

If you have Ethernet where you need it, adding a centrally located AP is the way to go. No need to mess with Ubiquiti stuff. Way too involved for what you need.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...w-to-add-an-access-point-to-a-wireless-router

Yeah that's what i was thinking. I need some recommendations of which router and AP to get though. And to get just one SSID running as smooth as it possibly can should I just set up a 2.4ghz network? the internet package the have is 60/10 through Bright House and I just want something with the best speed, range, and stability.

Actually, I looked up the Actiontec and it's a MoCA connected dual-band AP. So it's a second AP connected via MoCA vs. Ethernet. What's not working?

Android has several apps (I use Best Wifi) that will change network based on signal strength. I've been away from Apple for a while, is there nothing similar?

Actually, I looked up the Actiontec and it's a MoCA connected dual-band AP. So it's a second AP connected via MoCA vs. Ethernet. What's not working?

I'm not sure if i should go back and change the setup of my whole network because the signal will just drop sometimes.. and it's been inconsistent as well. really slow sometimes..

Ubiquity does have a great ap and the routers edgerouter poe is great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!