What's new

Need Buying advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

compnurd

New Around Here
2800 sq ft home.. Previously I had a rt-n66 as my main router and a linksys e3000 and a rt-ac66 as additional access points.. The coverage and speed were ok.. So i picked up the Archer C5400 while on sale and speed and coverage wise the thing kicks butt.. But the interface/parental controls and lack of device bandwidth control suck....

My dollar limit is around 200.. That is what I paid for the Archer.. I really love Asus firmware...

I missed the Rt-AC3100 deal and now the cost is just out of my reach.. I have been looking at the Rt-AC3200 which currently sits under 200.... I normally have about 20 devices connected at a time.

I would like to stick with Asus due to the firmware.. Not sure how netgear or linksys compare. I am still in my return window on the Archer.. Trying to future proof a little bit

if in the UK you could buy the AC3200 im selling. take a look at the ac68 and ac3200 as they should be within your price range. if you have lots of devices than the ac3200 would help, if not just get the ac68u/p/....(as long as its not single core).

2800 sq ft home.. Previously I had a rt-n66 as my main router and a linksys e3000 and a rt-ac66 as additional access points.. The coverage and speed were ok.. So i picked up the Archer C5400 while on sale and speed and coverage wise the thing kicks butt.. But the interface/parental controls and lack of device bandwidth control suck....

My dollar limit is around 200.. That is what I paid for the Archer.. I really love Asus firmware...

I missed the Rt-AC3100 deal and now the cost is just out of my reach.. I have been looking at the Rt-AC3200 which currently sits under 200.... I normally have about 20 devices connected at a time.

I would like to stick with Asus due to the firmware.. Not sure how netgear or linksys compare. I am still in my return window on the Archer.. Trying to future proof a little bit

Is your previous setup still available? Why not continue using it until you can afford the RT-AC3100?

It will be well worth it, imo.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/sh...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

If you can put your old network back into play and return the Archer, I would. Netgear, Linksys and any other manufacturer of pro sumer routers is not playing in the same field that Asus is when all things are considered (secure/modern code, long term support of products, features, usability, etc.). Other manufacturers are not even second or third choices, they are not even considered at all (that is how big the gulf is between them and Asus (particularly a model with RMerlin's firmware touches).

Is your previous setup still available? Why not continue using it until you can afford the RT-AC3100?

It will be well worth it, imo.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/sh...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

If you can put your old network back into play and return the Archer, I would. Netgear, Linksys and any other manufacturer of pro sumer routers is not playing in the same field that Asus is when all things are considered (secure/modern code, long term support of products, features, usability, etc.). Other manufacturers are not even second or third choices, they are not even considered at all (that is how big the gulf is between them and Asus (particularly a model with RMerlin's firmware touches).

The problem there was the coverage even with all 3. I could barely get outside and it seemed like the devices would hold one AP instead of switching easily. Even with a AP in my bedroom(the e3000) I would get speeds of around 30-40 mbps and strange non connects.. With just the archer in the basement i am getting 150mbps up there

The problem there was the coverage even with all 3. I could barely get outside and it seemed like the devices would hold one AP instead of switching easily. Even with a AP in my bedroom(the e3000) I would get speeds of around 30-40 mbps and strange non connects.. With just the archer in the basement i am getting 150mbps up there

I understand that your old setup was slower than you would like. But with the budget you indicated, you have to make a decision of whether to have better speeds now (and give up on long term support, features, etc.) or, save a little longer (and/or wait for a sale again) for the RT-AC3100 that will give you everything you want and more?

Having 3 to 5 times the speeds today is tempting. But knowing what I know about Asus vs. any other pro/con sumer router available today, I would forgo the immediate satisfaction that the Archer is providing and save/wait until I could buy the best solution I know of today (Asus+Rmerlin).

That is a great price for the C5400 that you paid, btw. The $191 RT-AC3100 was even sweeter though (and I'm sure we'll see it again). :)

I understand that your old setup was slower than you would like. But with the budget you indicated, you have to make a decision of whether to have better speeds now (and give up on long term support, features, etc.) or, save a little longer (and/or wait for a sale again) for the RT-AC3100 that will give you everything you want and more?

Having 3 to 5 times the speeds today is tempting. But knowing what I know about Asus vs. any other pro/con sumer router available today, I would forgo the immediate satisfaction that the Archer is providing and save/wait until I could buy the best solution I know of today (Asus+Rmerlin).

That is a great price for the C5400 that you paid, btw. The $191 RT-AC3100 was even sweeter though (and I'm sure we'll see it again). :)

Is there a consensus difference between the Rt-3100/3200?

Is there a consensus difference between the Rt-3100/3200?

The RT-AC3100 cannot be (fairly) compared to the older RT-AC3200 (which is based on the hardware the RT-AC68U originally shipped with).

The newer model offers many improvements including 4x4:4 support. Newer drivers. Newer RF design (antennae, power amplifiers, processor, etc.). It doesn't offer three radios like the RT-AC3200 has, but unless you're connecting a lot of devices with different capabilities between them (the main purpose of a tri band router, imo), then the newer model far outclasses what the RT-AC3200 can hope to achieve in any given network.

While the RT-AC3200 is not to be shunned like the RT-AC87U model has reason to be with it's quirky Quantenna based chipset, it is not a true choice today regardless of the similarity in the model numbers to the RT-AC3100.

The RT-AC3100 cannot be (fairly) compared to the older RT-AC3200 (which is based on the hardware the RT-AC68U originally shipped with).

The newer model offers many improvements including 4x4:4 support. Newer drivers. Newer RF design (antennae, power amplifiers, processor, etc.). It doesn't offer three radios like the RT-AC3200 has, but unless you're connecting a lot of devices with different capabilities between them (the main purpose of a tri band router, imo), then the newer model far outclasses what the RT-AC3200 can hope to achieve in any given network.

While the RT-AC3200 is not to be shunned like the RT-AC87U model has reason to be with it's quirky Quantenna based chipset, it is not a true choice today regardless of the similarity in the model numbers to the RT-AC3100.
Got Ya. I understand what you are saying.. I still got till 10/22 to return the Archer so i will watch the Rt-3100 in the mean time and go from there. Thx for the help

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!