What's new

Need Help Configuring XAV101 and WNR2000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnNgSF

New Around Here
I have the following setup:

Netgear WGR614v1 router
Negear WGX102v2 extender
Netgear Powerline XAV101
Netgear WNR2000 router

My DSL signal comes into the WGR614 in the upstairs home office and works fine, but wireless range is low. The WGX102 extender works fine to service the back of the main floor of the home. I recently installed the Powerline XAV101 (from the WGR614) to serve the front of the main floor of the home. Using Powerline at destination, I have no problem. I have since connected the WNR2000 to the XAV101 and cannot connect (wired or wireless) to the internet. I have the XAV101 Powerline between Router 1 (WGR614) and Router 2/Access Point (WNR2000)

Even though I have disabled DHCP on the downstream WNR2000 on the LAN setup page, I have no connection. The WGR614 IP address is 192.168.0.1 and the range is 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.52. So I have tried to use 192.168.0.199.

Whenever I change the IP Address, I lose connection to the login to the WNR2000 router. What am I doing wrong. Since this is a all Netgear setup, it should be easy to configure, right?

Please give me step by step instructions. Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

You need to connect a LAN port on the WNR2000 to the powerline adapter, not the WAN port. Everything else you are doing sounds correct.

hi Tim,

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, I am only using the LAN ports of the WNR (in and out). Also, I am only making two configuration changes, both on the IP Setup:

a. disable DHCP.
b. change IP Address to outside router 1, but within the subset.

When I change the IP address, I could never get back in to make the other changes, i.e. wireless broadcasting and WPA encryption. That's where I am stuck. And still no internet.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Where are you making these changes from? A computer plugged into the WNR2000?

What is that computer's IP address?

Can you ping a computer (or the router) at the other end of the powerline link?

thanks Tim,

I have a laptop connected to the LAN side of the WNR2000. The powerline is also connected to the LAN side of the WNR2000.

I do get internet when the laptop is directly connected to the powerline.

When I get home tonight, I will:

1. ping the WNR2000 (router 2) from the laptop
2. ping the powerline directly from the laptop.
3. ping the desktop connected to router 1
4. give you the IP address of the desktop
5. give you the IP address of the laptoop

Thanks again for you assistance.

First thing you should do is check all the IP address info on the laptop that you are using to configure the WNR2000 when you can't connect to the WNR2000. It might be changing to a 169.X link local address. Better yet, just set the IP info statically while you are doing the config.

I also suggest setting up the WNR2000 when it is not connected to the powerline. Just plug the notebook into it, disable DHCP and change the IP address. You might have to change the IP address first, then disable DHCP. Once you get the WNR2000 setup and can maintain connection to it with the notebook plugged into it, then connect it to the powerline adapter.

Hi Tim,

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.

First, I just did some tests. Yes, my laptop connected to the PowerLine has internet.

The IP address of the WGR614v1 is 192.168.0.1 (Main router)
The IP address of the WNR2000 is 192.168.1.1 (Secondary router)

The DHCP Subnet Range of the WGR614 is 192.168.0.2 ~ 192.168.0.51

I know that I have to:

1. Disable the DHCP in the WNR2000 on the LAN Setup screen.
2. Not so sure about how to change the IP Address
or
3. How to set a static IP Address.

Thanks for you help.

All the settings are on the LAN Setup screen.

Uncheck "use Router as DHCP server".

Set the IP address under "LAN TCP/IP Setup" to 192.168.0.253 or IP of your choice above the range of 192.168.0.2-51.

okay Tim,

I tried your settings on the WNR2000. As I change the IP address settings, I will lose connection with the router (like I should).

Then, I reboot the laptop and the WNR2000 router.

Now, I cannot get to the login screen of the router using the address, 192.168.0.253. Also, I get no internet connection.

When I connect the LAN cable from the XAV101, I do get an internet connection.

The WNR2000 is connected via the LAN ports only (I am not using the WAN port).

The wireless signal is strong and I can connect to the router wireless, but no internet and I cannot get to the login screen.

I think you are losing connection to the WNR2000 because your laptop doesn't obtain an IP address when you reboot it.

What is your laptop's IP address (including gateway and DNS settings, please) when you connect it to the XAV101?

Make sure your laptop has an IP address in the 192.168.0.X range when you try to access the WNR2000 with its new IP address.

hi Tim,

After spending the weekend fiddling with the network. I have come to two conclusions.

1. After changing the Router #2's IP address under the LAN setup, I am having some problems connecting to it. This happens with nothing else connected (just the power supply, no powerline connection from the XAV101).

After changing to 192.168.0.253, sometimes I can login, and most times I cannot.

2. Second problem, my powerline connection directly into my laptop's LAN port don't always get me an internet connection. Sometimes, I get one and other times, I don't.

These are my other connections from my Main Router #1.

a. Desktop
b. Slingbox
c. Netgear WGX102 Extender, G wireless
d. XAV101

a, b and c are the most consistent. Perhaps tonight I will just try a and d to see if the Powerline gets a consistent internet connection. But that shouldn't affect my laptop's ability to connect with just Router #2, correct?

Any help is much appreciated.

I'll say again:

I think you are losing connection to the WNR2000 because your laptop doesn't obtain an IP address when you reboot it.

What is your laptop's IP address (including gateway and DNS settings, please) when you connect it to the XAV101?

Make sure your laptop has an IP address in the 192.168.0.X range when you try to access the WNR2000 with its new IP address.

hi Tim,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Yes, I ran command and am seeing that the IP Address is different.

The laptop is going to 169.254.38.94
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway 169.254.38.94

How does this change? I see what's happening but don't understand it. I need to see it go to 192.168.0.1 (my default gateway, correct?)

Thanks for being understanding.

John,

I covered this a few posts back. The laptop that you are using to configure WNR2000 and test the connection must have an IP address that is in the range of the network that it is connected to.

When you are connected to the WNR2000 (before you change it), the laptop must have an address in the 192.168.1.X range. When it is connected to the WGR614, it must have an IP in the 192.168.0.X range.

After you change the IP address of the WNR2000 to 192.168.0.253, set the laptop IP manually to IP 192.168.0.250, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway: 192.168.0.1, dns: 192.168.0.1.

You should then be able to ping the main router at 192.168.0.1 and confirm that the WNR2000 was set properly by pinging 192.168.0.253. You should also be able to connect to the Internet and access the WNR2000 at 192.168.0.253.

Good luck.

thanks Tim,

I will try this tonight. A couple of questions.

1. How do I now set the laptop IP address manually?
2. How did it change in the first place?

Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry, John. But I can't provide that level of instruction (setting IP address). I have already explained why the laptop changed its IP address.

Perhaps others can help.

hi Tim,

Fiddling with it and got the WNR2000 to work as an AP. Now the new laptop and netbook can connect at N speed. Thanks for all of your help. I couldn't have done it with you. Thanks again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!