What's new

MOCA - Assistance Needed in what to purchase

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

seaverd

New Around Here
We just purchased a house that was built in 2010 and my issue is they did not run any ethernet cables and the entire house including the basement is finished with sheet rock so I have no access to run wires. I was researching wifi mesh systems and someone on reddit suggested MOCA...which I had never heard of...and with some basic research think that MOCA could work for me as there are coax jacks in every location that I currently would like wired ethernet.

The house is serviced by Frontier Fiber and comes into the bedroom on one end of the house and they installed an ONT and then an arris router/wifi device. I want to get wired ethernet at the family room in the basement and the mechanical room in the basement. The mechanical room has an incoming line from the outside dish that goes to a 2 way splitter. Please note that we are not going to be utilizing DISHTV...but just mentioning it as it is existing. All the other runs of coax are near this splitter and are just bare wires...no ends on them (I have a compression tool to install my own ends).

I am trying to do research...but am a little concerned on what to purchase. I see the gocoax is a popular recommendation for the MOCA adapter and I am assuming that I need 3 MA2500D gocoax moca 2.5 adapters (bedroom, family room and mechanical room).
POE...do I need one of these if no coax line leaves my house? If I still need one any recommendation...also not sure where to place it.

Splitter - any recommendation...right now I only envision 3 points needed wired ethernet...should I get a larger one in case that changes and just add terminators to the unused splitter ports? This splitter will be in mechanical room..once moca is installed in bedroom does this line go to the in of the splitter then the outs go to the other two locations I want ethernet?

I am also confused on location of the moca adapters, right now I am connected as follows:

ONT->Ethernet to ->Arris Router ->ethernet to -> eero wifi (all these devices are in the bedroom where the fiber enters the house). Where does the adapter go?

Sorry for so many questions...I would normally keep researching..but I want to place my order ASAP so I can make an attempt at installing this weekend.

Thanks for any assistance!

We just purchased a house that was built in 2010 and my issue is they did not run any ethernet cables and the entire house including the basement is finished with sheet rock so I have no access to run wires. I was researching wifi mesh systems and someone on reddit suggested MOCA...which I had never heard of...and with some basic research think that MOCA could work for me as there are coax jacks in every location that I currently would like wired ethernet.

The house is serviced by Frontier Fiber and comes into the bedroom on one end of the house and they installed an ONT and then an arris router/wifi device. I want to get wired ethernet at the family room in the basement and the mechanical room in the basement. The mechanical room has an incoming line from the outside dish that goes to a 2 way splitter. Please note that we are not going to be utilizing DISHTV...but just mentioning it as it is existing. All the other runs of coax are near this splitter and are just bare wires...no ends on them (I have a compression tool to install my own ends).

I am trying to do research...but am a little concerned on what to purchase. I see the gocoax is a popular recommendation for the MOCA adapter and I am assuming that I need 3 MA2500D gocoax moca 2.5 adapters (bedroom, family room and mechanical room).
POE...do I need one of these if no coax line leaves my house? If I still need one any recommendation...also not sure where to place it.

Splitter - any recommendation...right now I only envision 3 points needed wired ethernet...should I get a larger one in case that changes and just add terminators to the unused splitter ports? This splitter will be in mechanical room..once moca is installed in bedroom does this line go to the in of the splitter then the outs go to the other two locations I want ethernet?

I am also confused on location of the moca adapters, right now I am connected as follows:

ONT->Ethernet to ->Arris Router ->ethernet to -> eero wifi (all these devices are in the bedroom where the fiber enters the house). Where does the adapter go?

Sorry for so many questions...I would normally keep researching..but I want to place my order ASAP so I can make an attempt at installing this weekend.

Thanks for any assistance!

I'm in hurry, too, right now... here's what I did to extend the LAN over coax:

OE

Thanks, I will read through your post.

Just to clarify…I am going to disconnect the old dishtv coax coming from outside…also there is no OTA tv available in this location, so my coax will only be used for Moca…so does that mean I don’t need Poe devices?

Thanks, I will read through your post.

Just to clarify…I am going to disconnect the old dishtv coax coming from outside…also there is no OTA tv available in this location, so my coax will only be used for Moca…so does that mean I don’t need Poe devices?

You use a MoCA filter to block MoCA signaling to any points you do not want to expose it (to ISP/neighbors cable network) or experience it. My MoCA network is not connected to my ISP coax, so I do not have to consider this nor potential conflict with [future] DOCSIS signaling... however, I still use MoCA filters to not pass MoCA signaling to my media center equipment and to my OTA antennas... I figure why not.

(Power-over-Ethernet...PoE... does not apply to MoCA.)

OE

Last edited:
You use the MOCA POE filter to reduce noise. If you are using a splitter, you put the moca filter on the input port of the splitter.
You need a moca modem at each point where you want ethernet. So one at the initial router - connecting the lan port of the router to the ethernet port of the moca modem. You likely have a central point for all of the coax in the house ( ignoring the outside drop to the house.}. You will need at least a 2 port moca 2 rated splitter ( 1 IN 2 OUT). On the input port connect the coax from the moca modem located at the router. then connect the two other coax drops to the two other location to the output ports of the splitter. In each room, connect the ethernet port of the moca modem to either a switch or directly to a device ethernet port. This could be a TV, a PC, an Access Point, etc.

Any open coax that is connected to the moca coax network needs to be terminated with a 75 ohm termination cap unless a device ( moca modem) is connected. Typically this would be on a moca splitter that has unused ports or a coax run that is connected to a moca splitter but does not have device connected to it.

For your case, it sounds like you will not need the moca POE filter if there are only three legs and you use a moca2 rated 2 port splitter. (IN from router moca modem, OUT to the two runs to additional moca modems.

FWIW, I just bought a pair of the ScreenBeam 2.5 adapters @OzarkEdge mentions. I have zero interest in cable TV, but a condo that's full of coax runs installed by the previous owner. I disconnected one moderately long run from the incoming cable connection and stuck a MoCA adapter at each end, with no splitters or termination caps or any other add-ons. Works great with about 2.3Gbps throughput according to iperf3, so I'm pretty happy with that. (I'd be even happier with a 10G-capable run of Cat6A; but the cost to install that is daunting, so it ain't happening any time soon.)

I'm no expert in this area, but IIUC you'd want a POE filter if the coax run in question needs to continue to carry cable-TV signal alongside the MoCA channel; otherwise just disconnect it from the cable signal. You'd use a splitter if one MoCA adapter needs to connect to more than one other adapter.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!