What's new

Need Help Setting Up QoS on RT-68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Poseidon

Need help setting up QoS on my 68U router running Merlin's Fork firmware (v14.1). I've never set up QoS before, so any help is greatly appreciated.

I need to prioritize an IPTV box, my iPad (Facetime and Netflix) followed by general web browsing. I have a 60/5 speed through my internet service.

Under "Traffic Manager", my settings are the following:

QoS: on (AUTOMATIC MODE)
Upload Bandwidth: 5 Mb/s
Download Bandwidth: 60 Mb/s
Default Priority Level: Low (default)

Is the above correct - and should I change it from auto mode to either "user-defined QoS rules" or "user-defined priorities?"

Only prioritize a small minority of traffic. Every packet you prioritize causes another packet to deprioritize.

Also, QoS is focused on the traffic you send, not the traffic you receive. You can rate limit downloads, but you cannot prioritize download traffic that has already arrived at your network.

Regarding automstic mode, the QoS bitrate needs to be set below your average download rate. The router must be the slowest link in the chain so the QoS can build up a queue of packets that will be intelligently prioritized or rate-limited.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!