What's new

Need help with wiring new house

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bmartin1984

New Around Here
Hello,

My builder routed all the CAT5e cables (phone or LAN) and video cables into a Leviton 14" recessed box. For the existing phone jacks, he connected all the cables to a simple punch panel. The additional CAT5e I had him add for the other rooms is just sitting in the box (not terminated on either end). None of the cables is marked though to which room they go to. My intent is to swap out most of the original phone jacks for LAN jacks plus set up the new cables he added for my LAN. He used high quality CAT5e so I intend to set up a gigabyte LAN (got the switch needed).

Ok, so I bought a fancy Leviton pre configured Voice/data panel with an extra DSL filter module. I got all the video stuff set up with a Leviton amp/distribution panel to send the antenna signal throughout the house. Now I'm ready to try and stuff this Voice/data panel into my cramped 14" smart box and punch in all the LAN cables. The box is very cramped due to all the video cables for the antenna and Direct TV. Wish I had a bigger smart box now but my builder was clueless about LAN installs and I was 2000 miles away when he did the work.

Problem #1: Since none of these Cat5e cables is labeled, how do I 'easily' figure out what room they go to? My first thought was to just to crimp LAN connecters on to all the CAT5e cables lines in the box and then plug them into the Leviton panel to check for a dial tone. Not pretty since I'd have to cut the connectors off to punch the cables into the Leviton data panels plus I'll be wasting phone connectors I'd have to add on the room side of the unterminated cables. Must be an easier way without having to buy some expensive tool right?

Problem #2: I've never used a punch down tool before or terminated any LAN connections. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!!!

RE

Looks like I have to manufacturer a cable to go from the Leviton voice/data module to the DSL modem. The connector on the voice/data module is RJ45 but the input to modem is a standard phone line. Can I just use some left over phone line to do this? Do I need a RJ11 or RJ12 jack on the modem end? I know the critical wires are the blue and blue/white for the phone service. I assume there must be a guide that says how to wire these different connectors on each end.

Thanks.

I use the same module. You can use either an RJ45 (data) or RJ11 cable, depending on what you are connecting.

Simple fix

Since its only a small job when you terminate the wires you then test the cable runs and then number the wires...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!