What's new

Need solid NTFS, DLNA, BitTorrent

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Guz

Ok, it's been too many years on my current RT-N65U router. I think it's time to upgrade.

The things I need are:
  1. Support NTFS formatted USB drives. In the terabyte range. USB3.0
  2. DLNA for streaming to my TV (wireless)
  3. BitTorrent
  4. SMB network sharing
  5. IPv6
The NTFS support is number 1. It has to as bullet proof as possible. I tend to take the drive(s) off and connect to my computer as needed. I'm tired of the drives getting corrupted over time, so taking the drive(s) off and using them on a Windows computer negates the use of ext* formatted drives. Also I copy things up and down so the router needs good SMB network sharing, also good through put.

DLNA of course, I have a Samsung smart TV to stream music, videos, to it.

BitTorrent. Enough said. It needs to work, and be able to store files on the NTFS drives, again without corrupting the drive. I do prefer Transmission, but a good web based interface is required.

IPv6, my ISP has finally turned it on and I have to admit, it's good! Some sites that use IPv6 tend to come up faster now.

Bonus features would be extended range. I let my neighbor use my network via Wi-Fi.

I'm getting older, and crankier, and tired of tweaking settings things to work. I really would like a router that has a solid manufacturer O/S on it, in lieu of getting someone else's firmware. But if need be, I can continue using alternative firmware.

So what's best bang for the buck router that meets my criteria now days?

The things I need are:
  1. Support NTFS formatted USB drives. In the terabyte range. USB3.0
  2. DLNA for streaming to my TV (wireless)
  3. BitTorrent
  4. SMB network sharing

Sounds like you need a NAS box, not a router/AP...

You missed one point, I tend to take the drives off and go "off site" with them (portable external drives). A NAS box wouldn't work very well.

You missed one point, I tend to take the drives off and go "off site" with them (portable external drives). A NAS box wouldn't work very well.

Many NAS boxes have USB2/3 connectivity options... and your requirement for DLNA suggests that home AV use is a priority - hence the recommendation for a NAS...

Most routers that support this kind of functionality do it poorly compared even to a single bay NAS box...

You won't get bulletproof NTFS on anything but a Windows machine. Everything else is reverse-engineered, and therefore not as reliable as native support.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

get an intel NUS, they're small and portable enough but they dont have their own batteries. Essentially they're the same as a laptop with no screen or battery but with more expansion options. Some of them have dual NICs and wifi. With dual NICs you can also use them as a router.

Can't find a current Intel NUC with dual NIC's. :(
Using Windows as a router is actually easy, when I did it a LONG time ago. But back then I only had a noisy desktop and I really, REALLY like silence now. Actually the portable USB drive attached to my N65U is to loud. I had to configure it to not spin down, to keep the NTFS corruption to a minimum. ;)

Check Alibaba - there are quite a few interesting Baytrail/Braswell units with multiple GiGE ports - been thinking about organizing a group buy and doing a pfSense party...

not good. Realtek NICs are a lot slower than intel meaning you would expect to see more CPU usage. If all your tasks dont really use much CPU i dont see the problem but some people have seen full CPU usage probably because of realtek drivers. That NUC is just an example though of whats really out there if you actually look and you can probably get it cheaper if you look elsewhere but it also depends on where you are. I've been trying to find an NUC with dual NICs and intel IGP 6200 and only gigabyte brix has those but not the one with 6200. To me if i could get a hold of one and give GPU routing a try, that EDRAM would mean very low latencies coupled with 48 Intel EUs. Intel graphics is actually a very potent compute platform and give them the same number of shaders/cores as a dedicated GPU and they will actually perform faster.

Realtek NICs are a lot slower than intel meaning you would expect to see more CPU usage.

I wouldn't say they're slower, but they've been a challenge with Linux and BSD across their different distros... not much more that Intel and/or Broadcom in that context - it's all about drivers...

some drivers use CPU to do the work whereas some have hardware offload. Whether you use windows, linux or such overall while realtek usually works there are solutions that work better. For example realtek sound work fine CPU wise on normal quality with stereo channels, but use surround sound at the highest quality and CPU usage rises significantly where a dedicated soundcard will use a lot less CPU. So while realtek chips use more CPU they can still do the job.

not good. Realtek NICs are a lot slower than intel meaning you would expect to see more CPU usage. If all your tasks dont really use much CPU i dont see the problem but some people have seen full CPU usage probably because of realtek drivers. That NUC is just an example though of whats really out there if you actually look and you can probably get it cheaper if you look elsewhere but it also depends on where you are. I've been trying to find an NUC with dual NICs and intel IGP 6200 and only gigabyte brix has those but not the one with 6200. To me if i could get a hold of one and give GPU routing a try, that EDRAM would mean very low latencies coupled with 48 Intel EUs. Intel graphics is actually a very potent compute platform and give them the same number of shaders/cores as a dedicated GPU and they will actually perform faster.
Please let us know if you find an Intel Core NUC with dual Intel NICS. I´d certainly be interested.

So, I guess it's time for everyone following this thread, to start searching and reporting back possible systems.
They just have to have dual gig NIC and preferably 802.11ac wireless, fanless preferable (they don't have to have the most powerful CPU, just enough to get the job done)

Check Alibaba - there are quite a few interesting Baytrail/Braswell units with multiple GiGE ports - been thinking about organizing a group buy and doing a pfSense party...
Any news regarding organizing a group buy and/or doing a pfSense lab/party?

Ole

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!