What's new

Netflix blocked when not using VPN's DNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ro berto

Regular Contributor
Hello all,

Today I found something interesting, but first a bit of a backstory/explanation;

I set up several openvpn clients (with NordVPN) on my AC86U router running Merlin firmware and Diversion ad blocking so I could watch Netflix on my smart tv. I don't use the DNS pushed by the VPN (I chose disabled on Accept DNS configuration) so I could benefit from Diversion ad blocking.

Constantly I had to change the NordVPN servers because they would get blocked by Netflix.
Jump to today, I used NordVPN's app on Android and I chose the same server that was being blocked on the openvpn client on my router, and voilà Netflix was not blocked :eek:, then to prove my hipothesis, in the same NordVPN Android app I chose a custom DNS (192.168.1.1 i.e. my router) and sure enough, Netflix is blocked again.

I thought DNS has nothing to do with VPN detection.

Anyone knows more about this?

Ro berto

Hello all,

Today I found something interesting, but first a bit of a backstory/explanation;

I set up several openvpn clients (with NordVPN) on my AC86U router running Merlin firmware and Diversion ad blocking so I could watch Netflix on my smart tv. I don't use the DNS pushed by the VPN (I chose disabled on Accept DNS configuration) so I could benefit from Diversion ad blocking.

Constantly I had to change the NordVPN servers because they would get blocked by Netflix.
Jump to today, I used NordVPN's app on Android and I chose the same server that was being blocked on the openvpn client on my router, and voilà Netflix was not blocked :eek:, then to prove my hipothesis, in the same NordVPN Android app I chose a custom DNS (192.168.1.1 i.e. my router) and sure enough, Netflix is blocked again.

I thought DNS has nothing to do with VPN detection.

Anyone knows more about this?

Ro berto

The app of NordVPN uses the NordVPN DNS. If you use NordVPN DNS then you probably can watch Netflix also via that server. If not, then you have to search for servers with ip's that are not blocked yet. I don't know what kind of technic NordVPN DNS uses to to unblock Netflix. Maybe they re-route it to unblocked ip's or someting. In my experience, if I found a unblocked server then it lasts just for a few days until it gets blocked. Using NordVPN DNS is a more stable option. The only thing with NordVPN DNS is that other websites are not usable.

Last edited: