What's new

Netgear Orbi discussion thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the 'Allow external IPv6 hosts ping internal IPv6 hosts' option unchecked on the debug page, I get 17/20 on ipv6-test.com (with a very occaissional 19/20 every now & then ... *shrug*), and solid greens on everything in the chappell test link.

With that option checked on the debug page, I get a very snappy 19/20, and all greens on chappell with the exception of a yellow ICMPv6 ECHO REQUEST.

That testing is all via Chrome on my old Macbook Air, and I don't have any unique firewall setup or antivirus running.

Unsurprisingly, I can't tell a performance difference either way, so I'm going to leave that option checked for now... Well, until I learn that the yellow Echo Request test result is a security concern or something along those lines - I'm not smart on the intricacies of how stuff works at that level.

Cheers, Chris

Checking or unchecking the 'Allow external IPv6 hosts ping internal IPv6 hosts' makes no difference here. The "ICMPv6 ECHO REQUEST returned" is still green for me either way (with or without Windows firewall). Hmmm....

I see that there's new firmware available now, too.

Last edited:
I have noticed that my clients roam very easily. When I'm sitting in front of my computer, my phone is on the router, and on the satellite in the living room. In fact, I've had my phone in my pocket in front of the computer (on the router), and just for fun tried going and setting it on the dining room table, and by the time that I can walk back to my computer and get "attached devices" up again, it's moved to the satellite. Can't ask for much better than that. The other clients that I have seem to do as well.

Checking or unchecking the 'Allow external IPv6 hosts ping internal IPv6 hosts' makes no difference here. The "ICMPv6 ECHO REQUEST returned" is still green for me either way (with or without Windows firewall). Hmmm....

New app too! The app doesn't recognize my satellite, but it's all working anyway. App is very clean looking.
IMG_0705.png

IMG_0706.png

Last edited:
The app doesn't recognize my satellite

That's because it's orbiting around Uranus - out of range (just kidding, but couldn't help stepping into a fun quote)...

Check the firmware, and perhaps bounce all the Orbi's, and things should come back...

Netgear is kinda busy with an urgent security concern, so it might be a couple of days before they get back to the orbi's...

I had to check 'Allow external IPv6 hosts ping internal IPv6 hosts' and allow 'ICMPv6 Echo Request (in)' on my Kaspersky Firewall and then echo reply goes to yellow and I get 19/20 on the IPv6 test.

Interestingly the rest of the test is all green now - changed from a number of yellows yesterday.

I will have to check the new firmware

Oh the satellite is working fine and the old web ui recognizes the satellite, it's the new iOS app that doesn't recognize it. Speeds fine though and I'm on it right now so I know it's working right.
IMG_0709.png

Last edited:
The new iOS Orbi app sees my satellite - but the app seems pretty lame unless I am missing something.

Still no report of the client (or router - satellite) connection link rates.

Now I may be missing something - because I don't see how you ran the speed test from the app?

Edit - new to Netgear (installed my Orbi yesterday). The (other) iOS Genie app seems to kill my battery battery life.

Last edited:
I had to check 'Allow external IPv6 hosts ping internal IPv6 hosts' and allow 'ICMPv6 Echo Request (in)' on my Kaspersky Firewall and then echo reply goes to yellow and I get 19/20 on the IPv6 test.

Interestingly the rest of the test is all green now - changed from a number of yellows yesterday.

I will have to check the new firmware

Also have Kaspersky AV, and disabling it made no difference...most likely since it has no firewall *smile*. I did disable Windows Firewall, though.

Also have Kaspersky AV, and disabling it made no difference...most likely since it has no firewall *smile*. I did disable Windows Firewall, though.

Yes but I am running Kaspersky Internet Security. KIS does have a firewall which is where is disabled 'ICMPv6 Echo Request (in)'

I'm happy that you find same good points in this system I found since the beta test started. WiFi coverage is astonishing, I live in Italy and our walls are mostly concrete. Before Orbi I used an AP: 4 SSID, 4 different WiFi channels and a lot of migration issues and half of this wifi performances in the best case. Orbi fixed it with high end performances and Apple-like ease of use. I hope that Netgear pushes on Fw and functions because in my opinion they left quite a lot of room for improvement.

Got a weird thing going here with the Orbi. I reset the satellite and router, and after reconfiguring them, I cannot log onto the admin GUI from my desktop. I can log onto it from the computer next to it, or from any of my mobile devices, but not from my computer. I get the following error screen immediately on Chrome, not even a timeout:

This site can’t be reached
The connection was reset.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

So far I've tried:

Power-cycling the router and satellite, did this twice
Turned off my AV and firewall
Giving my desktop a static address, different from the DHCP address it was given
Both 192.168.1.1 and orbilogin.com
Looked through all the router settings and found nothing blocking it there
Dumped my browser cache and tried again *smile*
Tried the Edge browser a few times
Tried a different router, and same results, so not just the Orbi

This has to be something dead simple, but somehow I haven't stumbled over it yet *smile*.

???

Last edited:
check to see if the comp is set to obtain both dhcp and dns automatically on its adapter settings

check to see if the comp is set to obtain both dhcp and dns automatically on its adapter settings

Yep, both are on auto...verified that it is the computer by trying with a different router and getting the same results. The last test that I can think of at the moment *smile*.

I haven't reinstalled Windows 10 yet again, though. Hoping to avoid that *smile*.

Update: Fixed.

Last edited:
Anyone else using the Orbis in AP mode that can take a screen shot of the home screen of the ios app? interested in seeing if it shows your satellite.

Its a nice looking app, but it is very barebones and not really useful for anything, hopfeully they continue working on it.

Anyone else have the traffic meter working? I have had it enabled since installing but stats (today, yesterday, this week) all have zero values.

It also says 'Current Date/Time: Wednesday,31 Dec 1969 04:04 PM' on the traffic meter page?

(DanH - yes the app shows the satellite - but as you say it really isn't useful for much)

Anyone else have the traffic meter working? I have had it enabled since installing but stats (today, yesterday, this week) all have zero values.

It also says 'Current Date/Time: Wednesday,31 Dec 1969 04:04 PM' on the traffic meter page?

(DanH - yes the app shows the satellite - but as you say it really isn't useful for much)

Yes, I've had it enabled, and it works fine. Just now enabled it again after flashing the latest firmware, and it filled in the the fields starting from when it was disabled. And has added a little traffic for today since very recent re-enabling.

Internet Traffic Statistics
Start Date/Time: Thursday,1 Dec 2016 00:00 AM
Current Date/Time: Saturday,17 Dec 2016 00:31 PM

Just a thought, but have you checked the current time on the "Log" page? The time/date that you have there looks like the beginning of the "UNIX epoch"...like an uninitialized time/date clock somehow.

Last edited:
This is kind of strange.

If enable traffic meter I get

Start Date/Time: Wednesday,31 Dec 1969 03:59 PM
Current Date/Time: Wednesday,31 Dec 1969 04:04 PM

If I disable it I get

Start Date/Time: Wednesday,31 Dec 1969 03:59 PM
Current Date/Time: Saturday,17 Dec 2016 09:14 PM

Traffic stats are always zero

Date/time is correct on logs page

Are you using the orbi as a router or just strictly AP?

I found a couple of issues that will effect the traffic meter. One is that if your clock isn't being set and the other is one of the firmware flashes (don't remember) reset the checkbox. The .16 to .18 left the checkbox alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!