What's new

Network Issues Please Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have more questions

Does the Linksys E4200 have Vlan support if it does not what are my other options?

How can I segment a Lan with two routers?

Does the Linksys E4200 have Vlan support if it does not what are my other options?

How can I segment a Lan with two routers?

You don't want 2x routers. Toss that idea out.

Either...use the yucky 2Wire as your router/firewall/DHCP...and find an article (I'm sure Tim has some here) on how to take your e4200...and convert it to run as an access point...and uplink that to your 2Wire using a LAN port on each. Now you'll have 3x gigabit ports on your e4200 to use for gigabit LAN transfers, the wireless N of it as an access point (can turn off the crummy wireless of the 2Wire), and 3x remaining 100 meg LAN ports on the 2Wire. With this approach you will not use the WAN port of your e4200.

Or flip the 2Wire to run in bridged mode...now you're using it as a pure dumb modem..and have the WAN port of your e4200 connected to it..and the e4200 does the PPPoE authentication and picks up the public IP address. If you need more than the 4x gigabit LAN ports...pickup a gigabit switch.

Or..do what I do when I come across clients that by bad luck were shipped the 2Wire unit...get a smaller Speedstream/Motorola DSL modem that ATT uses (they're cheap)...use that instead...very easy to flip to bridged mode...and throw the 2Wire in the garbage.

The newer 2Wire units allow you to easily run a "DMZ Plus mode"...where they will detect the router that you're using...and basically setup a 1:1 NAT on it...passing the public IP to your own router...and basically bypassing the NAT/Fireall of itself. I know the U-Verse units also have that....that's what I run on. Not sure if they've introduced that feature on firmware updates of older models though.

I am using my 2wire as my dhcp client...

I am using my 2wire as my dhcp client because the version of 2wire that I have won't work in bridged mode so can I segment the lan using the Linksys E4200 or should I get a Cisco Business Router and then just use the E4200 as an access point as suggested?

I used the article How to use A Router to add Network Ports...

1.The 2wire is doing PPPoE connection to Att and the router is like a switch but these features on the Linksys are Still turned on NAT and Firewall should I disable these features on the Linksys since the 2Wire has a Firewall and regarding the NAT Feature If you advise me to disable it should I turn on Dynamic Routing on the Linksys?

2.In the Article it says to turn off the Wireless off of my Downstream Router which is the Linksys but I need N so is there any Issue in Turning off the
2Wire Wireless which is B/G and leaving the Wireless of the Linksys turned on instead?

3.Do you advise to put the Linksys in DMZ+ Mode in the 2Wire because since I have the Xbox 360 Connected to the 2wire that would Open up all the Ports to the Linksys? I also have my main PC wired to the Linksys a Firewalls will doing this put the PC at risk since the 2Wire has a Firewall?

This is related to my third question the only minor issue I am having is Netflix does not get an HD Stream and sometimes it freezes on the Xbox 360

4.I have one more question I know you said to VLAN my Network and/or segment it and I can't buy new Hardware now and Third Party Firmware does not Exist Yet for the Linksys E4200 so If I turn down the wireless power of the 2wire it can has a power setting from 1-10 put the 2Wire Network on Ch.10 and the Wireless N Network from the Linksys on Ch.11 will that cause any Issues?

Last edited: