What's new

Solved Network services filter issue - AX86U Pro - ASUSWRT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dkabu

New Around Here
I hope I am in the right subforum - if not let me know

I have an issue with a brand new Asus AX86U Pro. I come from a good old AC68U that has been rock steady for almost a decade. I had that same setup on that with no issue.

What I try to achieve: I have a Synology NAS that is configured to run on a VPN. To ensure DNS bleeds ( and my own calm my nerve, I have blocked all ports for that device on a Deny List in Network Services Filter except the ports that OpenDNS uses.

I am not entire sure this is the right way to do it, any advice on that part would also be appreciated. The issue, despite if what I try to do make sense, still bothers me.

What happens: When i make an entry in Network Services Filter, click +, then after hit Apply, the page says Applying Settings and reloads to where I started with "No data in table." e.i. it does not accept or save that data I try and enter. I know the formatting is correct as I had this setup on my AC68U running for years.

Before hitting Apply:
Network services filter.jpg

After the router has applied settings:
Network services filter2.jpg

What I have tried, that doesn't work.

1. reboot router
2. Tried from different browsers (Brave, Chrome, Edge)
3. Reset router to factory settings.

Other info: URL filter accepts entries, so does the Keyword Filter. It is only the Network services filter

System info:

Asus AX86U Pro
Firmware: 3.0.0.4.388_23285

Is there any way I can install the latest firmware once over? I feel like it is a software issue that would perhaps be fixed with a "new" install of the firmware?

Or do I have to send it in for repairs?

Thank you in advance.

I have been a lurker here and gotten helpfor many years through other peoples posts. But until now I have not yet have a problem that I was unable to find a solution for by searching previous posts. What I am trying to say is: Thank you for an amazing community full of truly great people and ressources!

I have an issue with a brand new Asus AX86U Pro. I come from a good old AC68U that has been rock steady for almost a decade. I had that same setup on that with no issue.

What I try to achieve: I have a Synology NAS that is configured to run on a VPN. To ensure DNS bleeds ( and my own calm my nerve, I have blocked all ports for that device on a Deny List in Network Services Filter except the ports that OpenDNS uses.

I am not entire sure this is the right way to do it, any advice on that part would also be appreciated. The issue, despite if what I try to do make sense, still bothers me.

What happens: When i make an entry in Network Services Filter, click +, then after hit Apply, the page says Applying Settings and reloads to where I started with "No data in table." e.i. it does not accept or save that data I try and enter. I know the formatting is correct as I had this setup on my AC68U running for years.

Before hitting Apply:
View attachment 50084

View attachment 50085

1. reboot router

Other info: URL filter accepts entries, so does the Keyword Filter. It is only the Network services filter

System info:

Asus AX86U Pro

Is there any way I can install the latest firmware once over? I feel like it is a software issue that would perhaps be fixed with a "new" install of the firmware?

Thank you in advance.

I have been a lurker here and gotten helpfor many years through other peoples posts. But until now I have not yet have a problem that I was unable to find a solution for by searching previous posts. What I am trying to say is: Thank you for an amazing community full of truly great people and ressources!

I'm not familiar with using Network Services Filter... seems incomplete to specify only the source IP and the destination port(?)

OE

I'm not familiar with using Network Services Filter... seems incomplete to specify only the source IP and the destination port(?)

OE

Yeah in theory that should work, but never tried it. Probably just a combo Asus never accounted for. Could be done with a firewall script.

Before hitting Apply:
View attachment 50084

View attachment 50085

1. reboot router

System info:

Asus AX86U Pro

Thank you in advance.

You may have just happened upon a combo that they didn't account for. Try putting 1:65535 for source port (any), maybe that will be enough to trigger it to accept it?

Or try using permit list instead?

Did a quick test on a RT-AX86U Pro and those Network Service settings are applied (example below). You can download the latest AX86U Pro firmware from the Asus website and manually install it through the Administration section on the GUI.
How to manually upgrade firmware for an ASUS router or range extender ?
https://www.asus.com/us/networking-...6u-pro/helpdesk_bios/?model2Name=RT-AX86U-Pro

Network Services Filter.jpg

Seems unlikely. That's a perfectly normal rule, that's almost identical to the example described at the top of the page.

Well yeah both *should* work. Just thinking it might be enough to get around whatever the glitch is.

Didn't want to test it on mine as it would mess up my custom firewall stuff and I'd have to reboot after :)

OE

With my AC68U that wasn't an issue, but I do agree with your logic, that I should perhaps use the outgoing ports from my system to avoid bleeds and not the destination ports. However, as mentioned, the router doesn't accept entries even if I use the source ports instead of the destination ports.

You may have just happened upon a combo that they didn't account for. Try putting 1:65535 for source port (any), maybe that will be enough to trigger it to accept it?

Or try using permit list instead?
I tried that, same result. Does not put the data in the table :-(

Did a quick test on a RT-AX86U Pro and those Network Service settings are applied (example below). You can download the latest AX86U Pro firmware from the Asus website and manually install it through the Administration section on the GUI.
How to manually upgrade firmware for an ASUS router or range extender ?
https://www.asus.com/us/networking-...6u-pro/helpdesk_bios/?model2Name=RT-AX86U-Pro

View attachment 50086

Very interesting that you have been able to do the setting on your system. Thank you for the suggestion of reinstalling by manually uploading the firmware. Hadn't thought of that. It did however not work. The system accepted the firmware upload and installed it, but the issue persists.

So I just replied to all of your responses individually to keep track of them :) Sorry for the late response - I am a family dad, so my schedule is not always my own to plan :)

To summarize, none of the suggestions worked.

I also tried using another source IP, using different ports, single ports etc. But since bennor was able to put in exactly what I am trying to achieve I don't believe that is the issue.

So what am I left with? A defect router?

Should I try and downgrade the firmware (is that even possible?) and see if that would work? I didn't try on the firmware I got the router with. I upgraded after initial WiFi setup and then wanted to do the configs on the freshest firmware.

Again, thank you for all your replies and a great community!

So it seems i solved it.

The downgrade worked.

I was on 3.0.0.4.388_23285 and it didn't accept any input. I downgraded to the release just previous to the current (3.0.0.4.388_22525) and it accepted the inputs.

Then I updated the router to the latest again and the data was still in the table. But I am unable to change the data. So I think it is an issue with the current release.

I will stay on 3.0.0.4.388_22525 for now.

I assume bennor must be on the release I downgraded to.

Again, thanks to everyone for their help.

I assume bennor must be on the release I downgraded to.
I was in the midst of testing various firmware (388.2_2, 3.0.0.4.388_23285, and the beta 9.0.0.6.102.4856) on the RT-AX86U Pro at the time I made that post. Thought I was on 3.0.0.4.388_23285, turns out I think the router was still on Asus Merlin 388.2_2 when I made that post. 388.2_2 as I understand it uses an earlier Asus code base (GPL 388_22525 it appears). Did another test, this time on 3.0.0.4.388_23285, and same issue you reported happens. The Network Services Table changes are not saved for some reason on 3.0.0.4.388_23285.

So sorry for the late response. I completely missed this post. Glad that you could confirm it is a firmware issue.

Hopefully ASUS is aware and will fix in the next release.

Have the RT-AX86U Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.388_23285 and have the same issue. I believe this defect (that's what I think it is as it worked in previous versions) was introduced with this version. Your router hardware should not be the issue. I have opened a request from the Administration - Feedback page. Since this is not something many use please log it so that a resolution would be worked on.

3.0.0.4.388_23285 Am on the same firmware for XT9's and have the same problem. Cannot get firewall to accept a filter. Anyone else have any luck since the last post?

Anyone else have any luck since the last post?

You have to downgrade the firmware or wait for a new firmware fixing the issue. There is no other solution.

Hi, would like to add the same issue is affecting the RT-AC88U. Firmware Merlin 386.12

1698783841197.png

It is impossible to add firewall keywords in the current build. The apply button is utterly broken.

The issue is not solved, a downgrade is not a sensible option.

Hi, would like to add the same issue is affecting the RT-AC88U. Firmware Merlin 386.12

It is impossible to add firewall keywords in the current build. The apply button is utterly broken.

The issue is not solved, a downgrade is not a sensible option.
Please note your issue is different and affects a different feature within the Asus/Asus-Merlin firmware. You may want to start a new topic if you don't find one in a forum search that deals with the URL Filter feature. The issue discussed in this topic likely has little to do with the URL Filter feature.

Please note your issue is different and affects a different feature within the Asus/Asus-Merlin firmware. You may want to start a new topic if you don't find one in a forum search that deals with the URL Filter feature. The issue discussed in this topic likely has little to do with the URL Filter feature.
Also, when using the Network Service Filter tab, this too no longer works. The screen is left with the spinner perpetually. Tried in multiple browsers. The apply button does seem to be broken

1698785280992.png

interesting on this tab, rather than a no-op, this tab will show the wait spinner then log you out after about 20 seconds or so

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!