What's new

new access point/extender

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nox

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

The reception in one end of our house is absolutely dire so i'm looking to get a wireless access point. I've currently got a Draytek 2820n parked at one end, and would like an access point at the other end of the house. Ethernet is in down there so thats not a problem.

Just after some recommendations - am using wireless g to n draft 2 devices at the moment.

Nox

You can configure an access point in WDS mode to extend your wirless network.

Something like the D-Link DAP-1353 would do the job. I haven't used this particular model, however my experience with other d-Link AP's was fairly pleasant; as with linksys.

Another option is to buy more powerfull antenae for your 2820n:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/aerials.html

I've done this in the past and this works fairly well for bumping up the range and is good for fully covering the extremities of your property with some level of wireless access. (Fine for web-browsing / IM / other light tasks)
However if you want consistent coverage and speed over your entire propery then the AP option is better. (Recommended for media streaming / file transfer)

That's blindingly useful! Thanks!

It's only a few wireless g devices that have connection problems, and I have a spare netgear 834dg somewhere, should do the job :)

Nox

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!