What's new

New Asus RT-AC56U 802.11ac Gigabit DualBand Wireless Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Install it the same way you would on a MIPS router:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Initialize-OPTWARE

Asuswrt uses the mbwe-bluering Optware repo on the ARM routers.
Unfortunately, tinc package is not availiable at
http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/mbwe-bluering/cross/unstable/
Is it possible to build my own package from source?
I have found a manual but maybe there is something less general? Maybe I could follow https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/blob/master/README.TXT steps 1-3 and the build tinc? Or maybe it is easier to build it directly on the router, whatever long it will take?

Last edited:
You can't compile directly on the router, not without creating your own crosscompile development environment.

Cross compiling isn't something simple that could be explained with just a few paragraphs unfortunately. It assumes that you are already familiar with *IX compiling and development.

Cross compiling isn't something simple that could be explained with just a few paragraphs unfortunately. It assumes that you are already familiar with *IX compiling and development.
I'm hoverer quite familiar with that. I could follow the manual from NSLU2-Linux, but I thought, there is an easier way, because many people should have done this already. For example, maybe, build environment, which is described in asuswrt-merlin firmware building manual can suit for building other packages (like tinc) also?
You can't compile directly on the router, not without creating your own crosscompile development environment.
it is a pity. Why? What is missing? I saw make in the package list...

Last edited:
I'm hoverer quite familiar with that. I could follow the manual from NSLU2-Linux, but I thought, there is an easier way, because many people should have done this already. For example, maybe, build environment, which is described in asuswrt-merlin firmware building manual can suit for building other packages (like tinc) also?

it is a pity. Why? What is missing? I saw make in the package list...

You are missing a compiler, a linker, the 10-20 dependency packages, link libraries, headers, etc... Make is the simplest part of the whole thing: all it does is read Makefiles, and execute what's in them.

You are missing a compiler, a linker, the 10-20 dependency packages, link libraries, headers, etc... Make is the simplest part of the whole thing: all it does is read Makefiles, and execute what's in them.
I see. What about build environment for firmware? Do you think it should suit for building tinc or other software? All the packages, which tinc depends on seem to be present in repo: openssl, zlib, lzo, ncurses, readline

I see. What about build environment for firmware? Do you think it should suit for building tinc or other software? All the packages, which tinc depends on seem to be present in repo: openssl, zlib, lzo, ncurses, readline

It should, but it will require a fair amount of tinkering with the build system. But at least you will have the complete required toolchain for it.

Can anyone explain why ASUS removed the metal around the USB 3.0 port on the new blue REV 2.00 board compared to the old red REV 1.60 board?

NEW blue rev2.00
usOizPs.png

tF7Jgpj.png

OLD red rev1.60
X8k8gCT.png

rRCHmEa.png

Last edited:
Can anyone explain why ASUS removed the metal around the USB 3.0 port on the new blue REV 2.00 board compared to the old red REV 1.60 board?

Interesting :eek:

Is all the pictures here yours or you got it off the Internet?

My guess is they did the same as with the AC68U, and are shielding the signal between two pc board layers rather than at the surface of the pc board.

A photo posted here showing blue PCB still has shielding for USB3.0.
Do not know what the revision is. It's supposed the retail version recently released in Taiwan.

ASUS_RT-AC56U_28.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!