What's new

New Asus RT-N65U Dualband Wireless N750 Gigabit Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Merlin-
Any chance that you release a custom firmware for the n65u? I want to be able to use AiCloud and don't want to purchase a n66u just for the one feature that I need? Thanks!!

No. I don't have one, and it's based on a completely different chip, so I'm not going to blindly generate builds that could brick routers.

Just to let everyone know, we do plan to release an update to bring the AiCloud to the RT-N65u. It does not have an exact release date yet, but we are working on it.

Asus RT-N65U vs. RT-N66U

Has anyone actually tested the RT-N65U? I am planning to purchase either the N65U or the N66U and was hoping to get a practical, hands-on assessment before deciding which one. After looking into them, I was about to buy the N66U last night, as it appears to be the tried, tested and stable model, but then I found out about the newer N65U and saw a YouTube video with the ASUS rep saying the N65U was his “favorite” router, etc., and did little more research on them.

I don't need the slight extra 2.4 gigahertz speed of the N66U, and I like a few of the features of the N65U (the USB 3.0, hardware NAT for gigabit Ethernet, the concept of separate SoC processors for each band). Being a relative novice, it's hard for me to judge how much performance advantage, if any, is to be gained from these features in the real world, let alone to weigh those against the degree to which the N66U may be more stable. And I like the physical configuration of the N66U better (lies flat or wall mounts, is symmetrical, has detachable antennas, etc.), as I think it will be much easier to setup in my office space.

Does anyone have any observations/advice? I'm not looking for a, "you should buy this one" or "you should buy that one " opinion, as that depends on my personal circumstances and budget, which haven't really shared. I'm just looking for an assessment of those features of the N65U that set it apart from the N66U.

Thanks for any insights.

New ASUS RT-N65U firmware by Padavan

Padavan said:
File: RT-N65U_3.0.3.0-022.zip 8.8 MB

Description: http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/source/list

• - First release for ASUS RT-N65U.
  • - IPv6+IPv4 (dual stack).
  • - Linux kernel 3.0.50.
  • - New WebGUI.
  • - Full build: included packages "transmission", "minidlna", "openssh", support XFS filesystem.

ATTENTION: This firmware is intended only for ASUS RT-N65U! After the upgrade,
all settings will be erased. Do not load settings (CFG file) from official firmware!!!

http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/downloads/detail?name=RT-N65U_3.0.3.0-022.zip :rolleyes:

Padavan said:
RTN
ryzhov_al

Asus RT-N65U

USB3 HDD, RAW, date block 1GB:
/ # dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1000
1000+0 records in
1000+0 records out
1048576000 bytes (1000.0MB) copied, 19.551588 seconds, 51.1MB/s
USB3 HDD, NTFS, file 2GB (driver ufsd.ko 8.6):

/ # dd if=/media/AiDisk_b1/pagefile.sys of=/dev/null bs=1M
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
2147483648 bytes (2.0GB) copied, 37.300932 seconds, 54.9MB/s

USB2 HDD, NTFS, file 2GB (driver ufsd.ko 8.6):
/ # dd if=/media/AiDisk_b1/pagefile.sys of=/dev/null bs=1M
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
2147483648 bytes (2.0GB) copied, 66.279857 seconds, 30.9MB/s
Chips AsMedia ASM1042 (RT3883/PCIe, LegacyIRQ).
http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=14:57589:4429#4429 ;)

That's pretty good disk performance for a device with such a slow CPU (compared to a regular computer that is).

I did a few timing tests this weekend on the RT-N66U, and the USB would cap at about 24 MB/s on an ext3 HDD.

ASUS RT-N56U/N65U custom firmware 3.0.3.1-027 by Padavan

RT-FW_N65U_3.0.3.1-027 (en-ru) IPv6+IPv4 - Linux kernel 3.0.53

This firmware is based on:
- Official firmware versions 1.0.x.x.
- Linux kernel 3.0.50 or Linux kernel from wive-rtnl project, trunc 3.1.3.
(https://gitorious.org/wive-rtnl-ral...ware/wive-rtnl-ralink-rt305x-routers-firmware)

ATTENTION: If your current firmware version is N56U 1.1.2.2-006 or lower, it is absolutely necessary to save your
settings to a .CFG file using WebGUI BEFORE upgrading to a newer version. After the upgrade, restore your
settings from the saved .CFG file in a usual way.

Changes to firmware ver. 3.0.3.0-026:
----------------------------------------------------------
[RT-N65U]
- Fixed minidlna build with shared ffmpeg libs (scan deadlock issue).
- Fixed usb_modeswitch issue with USB3 xhci.
- Fixed small space (64KB) for /etc/storage content. Allow total space 256KB (compressed in bz2).
[Common changes]
- Updated kernel-3.0.x to 3.0.53 from www.kernel.org.
- Added WiFi spatial streams control (1T1R/1T2R/2T2R/2T3R/3T3R).
- Added WiFi long/short preamble control.
- Changed USB mountpoint rule to volume LABEL (if exist). Volumes will be mounted as /media/{LABEL}.
Please use latin characters for set volume label (national characters not supported for SMB shares).
- Updated e2fsprogs to v1.42.6, included e4defrag and tune2fs.
- Updated usb_modeswitch and 3G modems database. All database moved from "rc" to /etc_ro/usb_modeswitch.d.
Added ability to read custom db vid: pid files from /etc/storage. Manual modem selection is deprecated, all
3G modems handled automatically by vid/pid. Added ZeroCD method selection - via usb_modeswitch or via eject.
- Fixed empty params set regression in NVRAM driver and fixed all bugs related whith this issue (e.g. 3G modems).
- Fixed firmware update code in httpd, added whole image CRC32 check and image size check before flashing.
- Fixed system crash on add many static routes (> ~40), shrink nvram space for handle static routes.
- Fixed unstable NTP time update issue.
- Improved minidlna scan speed. Fixed minidlna crash on scan many nested directories.
- Added On/Off front LEDs rule to WPS button action.
- Added applet /sbin/restart_wan.
http://rt-n56u.googlecode.com/git/changes.eng.txt :rolleyes:

New firmware...

Hi,

when can we expect new firmware for the RT-N65U?

The Download manager in very baggy....

Hi,

when can we expect new firmware for the RT-N65U?

The Download Manager is separate from the firmware. Asus occasionally releases updates to it, you will see an "Upgrade" link on the USB page when an update is available.

Download master just doen't work that I can tell. very very baggy and buggy!!!

I agree its very buggy.
why ASUS doesn't do anything about it?? its not a new software :confused:
This is one of the reasons I bought this router and its disappointing...

Hi, when can we expect new firmware for the RT-N65U?
File: RT-N65U_3.0.3.2-033.zip (9.7 MB) Released: Dec 24, 2012

Description:

• - New WebGUI.
  • - Linux kernel 3.0.57.
  • - Full build: included "transmission", "minidlna", "aria2", "firefly", "xupnpd", "openssh".
  • - Ethernet driver "raeth" v3.0 from Ralink (w/o ASUS hack).
  • - 5GHz WiFi driver v2.6.0.x (w/o WDS yet).
  • - Included WiFi IPv6 DAD fix.
httр://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/downloads/detail?name=RT-N65U_3.0.3.2-033.zip&can=1&q= :cool:

Upgrade download master to 3.1.0.68
  • 1. Enhance UI response time
  • 2. Fixed FAT32 related issue
  • 3. Fixed the compatibility issue in IE8
  • 4. To work with download master 3.1.0.68 the tool must upgrade to DM2_2035
  • 5. please download the tool in the download master help page and install again.
▼ Download: httр://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N65U&p=11&s=2&os=8 ;)

httр://support.asus.com.tw/download/download.aspx?product=11&model=RT-N65U&SLanguage=en-en&os=8

why ASUS doesn't do anything about it?? its not a new software :confused:
This is one of the reasons I bought this router and its disappointing...
▼ Support: httр://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=RT-N65U&board_id=11 :rolleyes:

However, please do also keep in mind that, as this is an open user to user based discussion forum.
If you are looking for direct support from ASUS, please kindly fill a quick technical support form from
the link below, and the professionals from our Technical Support Team will answer your query shortly
via email: httр://support.ASUS.com/techserv/techserv.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Thanks for your reply, I'll try out the DM upgrade and let you know how is it.
One thing, I saw in Asus forum that some users who used this the new router firmware suffered from high latency are you familiar with this problem?

I am running the official 3.0.0.4.260 right now, but have given up on getting the PPTP VPN to work. It works if I am on another DSL connection, but if I try to connect from my android devices over 3G it fails because the mobile carrier blocks GRE packets.
Thats why I am looking at custom firmware that has openvpn. Also it doesn't hurt if it enables entering static routes etc so the N65U can be used as a "real" router.

How stable is 3.0.3.2-033 from Padavan? Anything I need to worry about?

Last edited:
httр://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/downloads/detail?name=RT-N65U_3.0.3.2-033.zip&can=1&q= :cool:

Upgrade download master to 3.1.0.68
  • 1. Enhance UI response time
  • 2. Fixed FAT32 related issue
  • 3. Fixed the compatibility issue in IE8
  • 4. To work with download master 3.1.0.68 the tool must upgrade to DM2_2035
  • 5. please download the tool in the download master help page and install again.
▼ Download: httр://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N65U&p=11&s=2&os=8 ;)

httр://support.asus.com.tw/download/download.aspx?product=11&model=RT-N65U&SLanguage=en-en&os=8

▼ Support: httр://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=RT-N65U&board_id=11 :rolleyes:

Hi,
I've updated the firmware to 3.0.3.2-033 but now i can't see the download master application at all ! The DM is not working!
In the main GUI - "USB Applications" I see something called "ARIA" and other torrent like items but nothing refers to NZB downloads.
Please advise..

Is there still interest in a review?

ASUS has been delaying sending a router for review, citing "performance tuning". They have been giving this reason since October.

Have people been seeing wireless or wired performance problems?

Are folks still interested in seeing this reviewed? Who buys N750 routers anymore anyway, given that N900's are available?

ASUS has been delaying sending a router for review, citing "performance tuning". They have been giving this reason since October.

Have people been seeing wireless or wired performance problems?

Are folks still interested in seeing this reviewed? Who buys N750 routers anymore anyway, given that N900's are available?

That model is an oddball in terms of market positionning. While it has slower wireless, it comes with USB 3.0 ports - something you would have expected on the RT-AC66U flagship.

That model is an oddball in terms of market positionning. While it has slower wireless, it comes with USB 3.0 ports - something you would have expected on the RT-AC66U flagship.

Agreed. Still not sure why on the AC66U, slightly more time wasn't spent sourcing a USB3 controller.

I am interested in seeing a review of the N65U though; I'm sure many would like to compare its performance to the original Black Diamond.

New firmware FW_RT-N65U_3.0.0.4.334 by Asus
Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.334

Description File Size 13,35 (MBytes) 2013.01.24 update
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N65U&p=11&s=2&os=8 :rolleyes:

New firmware FW_RT-N65U_3.0.3.3-038 by Padavan
RT-N65U_3.0.3.3-038_full.zip RT-N65U_3.0.3.3-038 (en-ru). IPv6+IPv4. Linux kernel 3.0.59.

RT-N65U_3.0.3.3-038_micro.zip RT-N65U_3.0.3.3-038 (en-ru). IPv6+IPv4. Linux kernel 3.0.59. Micro-build.

http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/do...Device+Summary+ReleaseDate+Size+DownloadCount ;)

File: RT-N65U_3.0.3.3-038_full.zip (9.7 MB) Released: Jan 20, 2013

Description:

• - Linux kernel 3.0.59.
  • - 5GHz WiFi driver v2.6.0.x (w/o WDS yet).
  • - New WebGUI.
  • - Full build: included "transmission", "minidlna", "aria2", "firefly", "xupnpd", "openssh".

Changes to firmware ver. 3.0.3.1-027:
----------------------------------------------------------
Added:
  • - Added support scatter/gather DMA to Ralink Ethernet driver (raeth). S/G DMA allow boost local TX
    traffic up to 2x times. Read speed now up to ~21MB/s (from USB2), up to ~34MB/s (from USB3).
    Drop ASUS binary raeth_asus.obj.
  • - Added support HW VLAN TX to Ralink Ethernet driver (raeth). Offload VLAN tag incapsulation,
    actually for 1xRGMII mode for N65U.
  • - Added IMQ device for support software shapers.
  • - Added support RAW table to iptables.
  • - Added WiFi Reverse Direction Grant (RDG) control.
  • - Added output RSSI field to WiFi AP clients status.
  • - Added PPP session duration info, MAN info, IPv6 info to WAN status.
  • - Added ALG RTSP for support many IPTV applications from ISP.
  • - Added ability to select Ethernet port for attached WAN cable (for WAN bridge mode).
  • - Added ability to ISP VLAN filtering.
  • - Added ability to route VLAN tagged IPTV source via igmpproxy and udpxy.
  • - Added support IPv6 for URL-filtering.
  • - Added ability to disable ALG FTP.
  • - Added support IGMPv3 and multiple origins to igmpproxy.
  • - Added package xupnpd (translate IPTV via UPnP/DLNA) v1.02, rev372
Updated:
  • - Updated kernel-3.0.x to 3.0.59 from www.kernel.org.
  • - Updated WiFi driver iNIC_mii (AP 2.4GHz) from ASUS firmware .260 (whole blob).
  • - Updated WiFi driver to v2.6.0.x for AP 5GHz (WDS not supported yet, only AP-Client).
  • - Updated udpxy to v1.0.23-7.
  • - Updated dnsmasq to v2.65.
  • - Updated Transmission to v2.76.
  • - Updated Ralink HW_NAT to 2.50.x, improved IPv6 routes offload, fixed support HW VLAN TX,
    forward all mcast and bcast traffic to CPU, move FoE PPE table to raeth for avoid memory
    fragmentation on reload hw_nat module.
Fixed:
  • - Fixed very old issue with race packets from PPE.
  • - Fixed IPv6 routes offload (via Ralink PPE).
  • - Fixed IPv6 DAD issue on MacOS and Android WiFi clients (no solution for RT3352 AP on N65U).
  • - Fixed httpd deadlock issue (WebGUI freeze).
  • - Fixed PHY mode status for AP 2.4 GHz.
  • - Fixed IPv6 neighbour table overflow (manual run script reset_ss.sh needed).
  • - Fixed disabled FTP/SMB access controls in WebGUI on shares with LABEL.
  • - Fixed Astana timezone label.
  • - Fixed board name in WebGUI resources.
http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/downloads/detail?name=RT-N65U_3.0.3.3-038_full.zip&can=2&q= :cool: