What's new

New Asus RT-N65U Dualband Wireless N750 Gigabit Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ASUS has been delaying sending a router for review, citing "performance tuning". They have been giving this reason since October.

Have people been seeing wireless or wired performance problems?

Are folks still interested in seeing this reviewed? Who buys N750 routers anymore anyway, given that N900's are available?

I can tell that the wireless coverage is very good.
I also use it as a LAN switch and the performance are very good also.
I've encountered a strange problem that my Samsung laptop (with Atheros wifi card) can't connect to the wireless and crashes the whole wireless connection if I try to connect it.
it happens only with this computer

ASUS has been delaying sending a router for review, citing "performance tuning". They have been giving this reason since October.

Have people been seeing wireless or wired performance problems?

Are folks still interested in seeing this reviewed? Who buys N750 routers anymore anyway, given that N900's are available?

I replaced a Dlink 628 about 7 weeks ago when we moved into a new home. I initially got the Asus RT-N65U. The performance seemed incredible. The wireless coverage was much better than the Dlink (we have a 3100 sq ft house with all but one room on the main floor and a media room in the middle of the second floor). I ended up replacing the 65U with the 66U only for the slight increased flexibility on firmware options (I loaded Merlin's 3.0.0.4.266.23) and the moveable antennae.

Totally "anecdotal" but I felt the 66U was the one with slightly slower performance, but the wireless range was greater with the 66U over the 65U (on both 2.4 and 5 bands). I can get the 5 band anywhere in the house but the 2.4 will extend outside to the deck and in the garage. Tweaking the transmit power will increase the wireless transmit range but I put it back to the default because it works just fine. Just based on observation and running "speedtest" periodically. I have been able to isolate the 2.4 band from neighbors' wireless signals on channel 11. I am not doing anything fancy. We have a windows-7 pc, Ipad, two Samsung S3 phones, three AVR's hard wired, a WII and a PS3. We also have a Sprint Arvana Airave due to lack of cell coverage in the home. The Arvana is plugged into the 66U. I have played with the QOS for the cell phone calls, but there was no real difference that we could tell so I turned QOS off. We have 20/1 internet service from Time Warner.

Last edited:
Hello, im in the market for a new router and im to decide between N65 and N66.

Have any one that owns a N65 faced this issue? is it fixable by firmware or is indeed a design flaw
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1XPDX...e=UTF8&ASIN=B008OUKZZI&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

im inclined to buy N65 over N66 due to Usb3.0 ports and it looks more like a Multimedia (all rounder) router.

curently i have a Dir-615 with ddwrt with im very happy but i would like gigabit lan and Usb port

I bought the Asus RT-N65U based on the Asus recommendation from some other guys. I have a fairly simple network. 2 Xbox's, a USB laser printer, Direct TV with 5 receivers, Ipad, 2 Ipods, Nook, Kindle, 3 laptops a couple of TV's and a wired desktop. I don't stream music or video other than what the different units pick up via netflix or VUDU or Amazon.

I am replacing a D-Link DIR-825. And frankly except for the recent NAT issues with Xbox and the ever present Lag I was content with the router. Again at the recommendation of a friend, I swapped it out

I have Comcast cable and live in a small town. My tier is 30/4. I rock a Motorola SB6121 modem and my speeds are always in the 35/6 with the old Dlink and my house to chicago speed test (140 miles or so) with ~25ms of ping no jitter and zero packet loss via the different speed tests

I hooked up the ASUS router last night. Got all the QoS set up and fired up the Xbox360. Open NAT. Went and started my wife's... Open NAT. VEry nice!!

I started our game of choice (BlOps 2) the multiplayer load screen was much faster in response. Normally it takes a minimum of 12-14 seconds before the revision number loads. it took maybe 4 seconds. Game response seemed better overall. so was very happy. Ipad and Ipods all connected. Laptops connected. So wireless worked great. I live in a 3000 sq ft home that is over 150 years old and has enough lead paint to be considered an EPA hazard. Wireless strength seemed great. even upstairs. Will check more tonight.

Heres the question I have, while I hav not set up the printer, and will not set up a hard drive to this, do I need to update the firmware for any specific reason. I believe I am running .176

Granted, it's one day, but liking the router so far. very easy to set up! very fast and so far no glitches.

ASUS RT-N65U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.342

httр://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-N65U/FW_RT_N65U_3004342.zip

Fixed

Add
  • 3G/4G USB modem card setting in quick internet setup wizard

AiCloud
  • Add delete button in upload file page.
  • Fixed share link management bugs.
  • Fixed file and folder rename bugs.
File Size 13.38 (MBytes) 2013/02/08 update
htt://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N65U&p=11&s=2&os=8 :rolleyes:

2.4Ghz N problem when using USB 3 drive

Hello, im in the market for a new router and im to decide between N65 and N66.

Have any one that owns a N65 faced this issue? is it fixable by firmware or is indeed a design flaw
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1XPDX...e=UTF8&ASIN=B008OUKZZI&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

im inclined to buy N65 over N66 due to Usb3.0 ports and it looks more like a Multimedia (all rounder) router.

curently i have a Dir-615 with ddwrt with im very happy but i would like gigabit lan and Usb port

I bought my n65u last week. Out of the box it has the exact same issue as the person on Amazon is having. AKA:

2.4Ghz Wireless N performance is MAJORLY kneecapped when you (dare I say it) actually connect a USB 3.0 HDD to either USB3.0 port.
My 2.4Ghz Wireless N clients (Linksys 150Mbps USB N and Cisco 300Mbps USB N) both run at their maximum advertised connection speeds with the rt-n65u when no drive is connected.

After I connect a Seagate 2TB USB 3 drive they dropped to 13Mbps and pings to the router anywhere from 500ms to 1850ms with "excellent signal strength" 15 feet away from the 65u with line of sight.

After toying with the settings for 3 hours I was able to get a stable Wireless N connection of only about 72Mbps (with ping averages around 2ms for every 100). Pretty far away from the advertised 300Mbps.

ASUS RT-N65U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.342

httр://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-N65U/FW_RT_N65U_3004342.zip

Fixed
Potential security issue from UPnP overflow - http://upnp-check.rapid7.com/
Some wireless time control and parental control issues.

Add
3G/4G USB modem card setting in quick internet setup wizard

AiCloud
Add delete button in upload file page.
Fixed share link management bugs.
Fixed file and folder rename bugs.
File Size 13.38 (MBytes) 2013/02/08 update
htt://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N65U&p=11&s=2&os=8 :rolleyes:

And this new firmware doesn't fix the issue.

Called Asus tech support and they're basically just the Jimmy Dean sausage complaint guy and unaware of the issue. :confused:

Last edited:
**DON'T BUY ONE YET**

I bought my n65u last week. Out of the box it has the exact same issue as the person on Amazon is having. AKA:

Wireless N performance is MAJORLY kneecapped when you (dare I say it) actually connect a USB 3.0 HDD to either USB3.0 port.
My 2.4Ghz Wireless N clients (Linksys 150Mbps USB N and Cisco 300Mbps USB N) both run at their maximum advertised connection speeds with the rt-n65u when no drive is connected.

After I connect a Seagate 2TB USB 3 drive they dropped to 13Mbps and pings to the router anywhere from 500ms to 1850ms with "excellent signal strength" 15 feet away from the 65u with line of sight.

After toying with the settings for 3 hours I was able to get a stable Wireless N connection of only about 72Mbps (with ping averages around 2ms for every 100). Pretty far away from the advertised 300Mbps.

The most likely reason for this has nothing to do with the WiFi and everything to do with the USB3 cable that you're using.

USB3 uses more frequencies than USB2 and unfortunately, it also uses 2.4GHz. This is an issue because the shielding on the cable has to be very good to prevent leakage. This is probably not the case.

Here is the Intel Whitepaper on this: http://www.usb.org/developers/whitepapers/327216.pdf

The most likely reason for this has nothing to do with the WiFi and everything to do with the USB3 cable that you're using.

USB3 uses more frequencies than USB2 and unfortunately, it also uses 2.4GHz. This is an issue because the shielding on the cable has to be very good to prevent leakage. This is probably not the case.

Here is the Intel Whitepaper on this: http://www.usb.org/developers/whitepapers/327216.pdf

I'm pretty sure you are correct sir. I removed the USB 3 HDD and cable and put in a Corsair Voyager GT thumb drive and it caused the same issues on the 2.4Ghz.

So I thought, maybe if I wrapped the flash drive in aluminum foil it won't interfere with the 2.4Ghz...

And amazingly that worked!

I tried wrapping the cable for my USB 3 HDD and it still caused problems.

So it looks like USB 3 "radiation" is to blame.

Would have been nice for Asus tech support to mention this so I don't spend hours and hours trying different settings and firmwares.

Can anyone recommend a good shielded USB 3 cable?

Last edited:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10303&cs_id=1030310&p_id=6509&seq=1&format=2

I asked product support to check if they have any shielding on it. They said they have an aluminum foil wrapped around the cable inside.

If that cable is not long enough, they also sell USB 3 extension cables.

I do love me some Monoprice. Unfortunately they don't seem to sell any USB 3.0 Micro cables. Since that's what the HDD I have uses I'll have to buy Monoprices adapter. Their CS rep said it has sufficient shielding.

Had I known that USB 3 caused interference with 2.4Ghz I would've purchased a HDD that used a standard USB 3 connection so it would be easier to find shielded cables. That's my bad though.

This is the adapter I will be using.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10314&cs_id=1031403&p_id=8170&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

I'll post here with the results. Hopefully it will work.

Good look'n out Mangix.

posted this in another thread also :

i had a N65 for one day (i bought it special for testing) and then i returned it....it was so damn hot. you could feel how it irradiated heat from 1 cm away ....i could not keep my hand on it more then 10 seconds. Comparing it with N66 now running at 52-53 degrees i estimate that inside the temp was about 80-85 degrees. and note that it does not have radiators like N66 to bring the heat down

The usb 3.0 stick connector after removal from USB was very very hot.

i did not notice any interference in 2,4 GHz band. i was streaming a 720p movie from the Stick and in the same time copy large folders (from my desktop ) with random files at with an average of 4mb. on a intel 4965 N wifi board

copy from stick to desktop via ethernet was at 30mb while over wifi at around 12 mb on 2,4 ghz band and 16 mb on 5ghz . card used intel 6205

posted this in another thread also :

i had a N65 for one day (i bought it special for testing) and then i returned it....it was so damn hot. you could feel how it irradiated heat from 1 cm away ....i could not keep my hand on it more then 10 seconds. Comparing it with N66 now running at 52-53 degrees i estimate that inside the temp was about 80-85 degrees. and note that it does not have radiators like N66 to bring the heat down

The usb 3.0 stick connector after removal from USB was very very hot.

Interesting stuff. Although my rt-n65u gets fairly warm I don't loose any sleep over it. I did briefly have a USB 3.0 stick connected and after removing it found the stick had become a little to hot for my personal comfort. That's why I got an external USB 3 HDD. The HDD case and cable temp is fine - obviously.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff. Although my rt-n65u gets fairly warm.

:) i assume that is fairly warm when idle :D
unfortunate i dont have a temp measurement tool, im curious if some one can place here actual temps of this router.....as i said i could feel it from 1 cm away, just like the heater in my house :))

i dont have a USB 3.0 rack for HDD....noticed that my USB 3.0 stick (kingston dt r3.0) runs warm even when i use on my desktop. But is just warm while after 3 hours in router was very hot.

Can someone please confirm whether this router supports 4G (LTE) modems? I have a 4G Huawei e3276 usb-stick that I want to use.

:) :) :)
Well I seemed to have finally solved my problem with my USB 3 HDD causing issues with the 2.4Ghz WiFi connections. Here's what I did:

First, I bought another USB 3 HDD (A Toshiba Canvio) and it caused the same problems with the 2.4Ghz as my Seagate Backup+ 2TB HDD STCA2000100. So I returned it.

Before I returned it, I tested both HDDs with the 1Ft USB 3 cable and USB 3 B Female to Micro B Male Adapter I bought from Monoprice. Both HDDs still caused wifi issues (w/ 40Mhz bandwidth only 13.5Mb with ping spikes up to 1542ms) with the HDD close to the router and with it 1ft away. I think their cables aren't well shielded enough, even though their tech support said they were.

I tried a different USB 3 cable, a 7ft one from StarTec.com. Same wifi problems when the HDD was near or far from the 65u.

I then purchased this insanely expensive 7Ft Monster Cable USB 3 Cable and tried it with the Seagate. Even with the HDD snuggled right next to the rt-n65u my N clients were now to able to get bewtwen 120Mbps - 280Mbps - but the average pings where around 50ms.

I then spent some time physically moving the HDD, my Cable Modem and the rt-n65u around until I found a "sweet spot" that gave my 2.4Ghz N clients 300Mbps average pings of 2ms.

My friends at AVForums.com would be pretty disappointed that I had to buy a monster cable. It was $59 at my nearest stapler store. I couldn't find a cheaper price online.

i assume that is fairly warm when idle :D
unfortunate i dont have a temp measurement tool, im curious if some one can place here actual temps of this router.....as i said i could feel it from 1 cm away, just like the heater in my house)

Actually it's never been too hot even while not idle - I've been plugging and unplugging my attached 2TB HDD drive for the last few hours and every time I plug it back in it starts scanning the 1TB of files for the database. Taht would cause 99% CPU load on my old rt-n56u. I've been touching/moving the router a lot trying to find a sweet spot where the HDD doesn't cause interference with the 2.4Ghz WiFi and like I said it hasn't been that hot to my hands. It does get hotter than my old rt-n56u would get though.

i dont have a USB 3.0 rack for HDD....noticed that my USB 3.0 stick (kingston dt r3.0) runs warm even when i use on my desktop. But is just warm while after 3 hours in router was very hot.

The USB stick I put in the router never gets hot when used in my desktop. After plugging it in the rt-n65u it was EXTREMELY hot after only like 5 mins. To avoid this I just use a USB 3 HDD. No issues with heat with HDD - but I guess yeah you would have to have a place to put it. Although I've seen some pretty sweet USB 3 2TB "portable" drives that run of USB power alone that you could tuck in between something pretty easily.

Last edited:
I then purchased this insanely expensive 7Ft Monster Cable USB 3 Cable and tried it with the Seagate. Even with the HDD snuggled right next to the rt-n65u my N clients were now to able to get bewtwen 120Mbps - 280Mbps - but the average pings where around 50ms.

I then spent some time physically moving the HDD, my Cable Modem and the rt-n65u around until I found a "sweet spot" that gave my 2.4Ghz N clients 300Mbps average pings of 2ms.

I guess now you can actually make a case for Monster cables actually making a difference :p

I just got the N65U, tested usb with an external powered 2.0 disk.

One problem, in FTP i cant seem to create folder after root /diskname/

Creating folder through the webui goes fine, and can set access rights to that one.

Using \\Router_name\diskname in explorer i can create folders etc, but they will not be accessed with ftp.

Is this normal behaviour with this router?

FW_RT-N65U_3.0.3.3-045 by Padavan

File: RT-N65U_3.0.3.3-045_full.zip 9.8 MB

httр://rt-n56u.googlecode.com/files/RT-N65U_3.0.3.3-045_full.zip

File: RT-N65U_3.0.3.3-045_micro.zip 6.6 MB

httр://rt-n56u.googlecode.com/files/RT-N65U_3.0.3.3-045_micro.zip

Description:

• IPv6+IPv4 (dual stack).
  • Linux kernel 3.0.68.
  • 5GHz WiFi driver v2.4.3.6 (include backports and fixes).
  • Full build: included "transmission", "minidlna", "aria2", "firefly", "xupnpd", "openssh".
  • Micro build: excluded "transmission", "minidlna", "aria2", "firefly", "openssl", "sftp-server".

Changes to firmware ver. 3.0.3.3-041:
----------------------------------------------------------
  • Fixed SoC hangup on 5GHz Wireless interface down during data transfer.
  • Fixed WAN-LAN spoofing issue on change WAN bridge mode or VLAN isolation.
  • Fixed VLAN filter for partial untagged traffic.
  • Fixed broken httpd login state after LAN IP address reconfig.
  • Fixed 48 hours bug in Main_TrafficMonitor_last24.asp.
  • Updated kernel-3.0.x to 3.0.68 from www.kernel.org.
  • Updated openssl to v1.0.1e (vulnerability CVE-2013-0166).
  • Updated miniupnpd to v1.8.20130207.
  • Updated transmission to v2.77.
  • Updated xUPnPd to rev382.
  • Updated xl2tpd daemon from upstream.
  • Increased max allowed Wireless clients up to 64 for each AP.
  • Rolled back 5GHz Wireless driver to v2.4.3.6 (with backports and fixes).
  • Added user-defined vid/pid slot to option.ko for support any UMTS and EVDO modems.
  • Added GreenAP feature for each AP. GreenAP goto 1T1R+20MHz mode if there is no 11n clients.
  • Added workaround for partial fix PPE UDP bug (drop UDP packets w/o checksum).
  • Added GNU parted utility.
  • Added NTP synchronization period control to WebGUI.
  • Added DDNS update period control to WebGUI.
  • Added PPPoE idle timeout feature.
  • Added Ethernet ports info and Connections tracking info to WebGUI.
  • Added force NVRAM clear on ASUS-WRT content detected (many params is incompatible).
  • Removed bogus Wireless bandwidth mode 40MHz Only (not used by Ralink/MTK WiFi drivers).
  • Removed port trigger dead feature.
http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/downloads/list?can=2&q=rt-n65u :rolleyes:

- Fixed IPv6 neighbour table overflow (manual run script reset_ss.sh needed).

Sorry to barge in on the RT-N65U thread. My RT-N66U has the neighbour table overflow problem.

Can anyone tell me which line or lines in reset_ss.sh are the ones which fix this issue? I'm running a recent Merlin build and can put the script in /jffs.

Thanks!