What's new

New router question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The_Bishop

Occasional Visitor
Just a quick question; what's the latest asus router supported by Asuswrt-Merlin? My current router, an RT-AX58U, is getting a bit old and from what I gather doesn't have the hardware capability of running many of the add-ons available.

Thanks for any help.

If I was to make a choice for myself today it would likely be the RT-AX88U Pro.

If I was to make a choice for myself today it would likely be the RT-AX88U Pro.
Same here, with the AX86Pro very close behind it to replace my AC86. I've got my fingers crossed for a Black Friday deal dropping in my lap.

Same here, with the AX86Pro very close behind it to replace my AC86. I've got my fingers crossed for a Black Friday deal dropping in my lap.
If you want to wall-mount the router, as I have, then you would need the RT-AX88U Pro of the two suggested routers.

You are talking about your AC86U replacement for about 2 years. I don't believe you. :)
Why would I? it still works!

If it still works properly - keep it until firmware updates are available. A new RT-AX86U Pro won't give you any noticeable speed or range improvements. RT-AC86U has excellent Wi-Fi.

If it still works properly - keep it until firmware updates are available. A new RT-AX86U Pro won't give you any noticeable speed or range improvements. RT-AC86U has excellent Wi-Fi.
i think you meant ",,,no longer available." that's what I usually do, if it doesn't die first

Thanks, everyone.

Tech9 - I was looking into running one of the ad-blocking addon packages, and from the research I did, the 58U doesn't have the processor or memory to do so. Am I making the wrong assumption?

If you go light without millions of entries in blocklists RT-AX58U will work fine. Diversion is more router optimized, AdGuard Home may come heavy. You can set AdGuard DNS on it for about the same result, but with less control. Don't go crazy with scripts and you can continue using your router just fine.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!