What's new

New RP-AC1900 in AiMesh, something weirds happening

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MayoTheGreat

New Around Here
Hey everyone,

Quick rundown of network and environment, then what I'm experiencing.

Configured in AiMesh currently.
Xfinity internet: 600/20 (don't want to talk about upload....)

1920s house lots of plaster, brick, and concrete. Including basement, house is roughly 1800 sq ft total between 3 floors, plus a detached garage. Neighbors on top of each other. My wife HATES wires, so they can't be seen. There is a brick furnace chimney that runs up the middle of the house.

RT-AC86U - Purchased about a year ago, lives in kitchen pantry closet immediately next to the brick chimney. Has most up to date Merlin firmware

RT-AC68P - Purchased 5+ years ago. best Buy exclusive. Was main router until 86U. Suspect this isn't working at 100% due to years of 100% use at high heat. Hardwired to the RT-AC86U. Located in the basement which is partially above ground, but surrounded by concrete. Located in center of basement. Switch connected to this to provide wired connections to PS4 and other devices for the mancave. This is on Merlin's up to date firmware

RP-AC1900 - Just received this Thursday. Not much news on it yet. Seems to replace the RP-AC68, and seems to run on same firmware as rt-ac68u (Merlin's version runs successfully). This is on a wireless connection on 5Ghz. This is located in the garage.

Here's what's happening and some questions I have:

When I set up the new RP, I did it per aimesh setup instructions and everything went flawlessly. I DID NOT factory reset any of the devices (this may be where the issues lie) but I did update all their firmware, as well as once they were setup do a full reset if the system in order: Modem, 86u, 68p, rp.

The rp is working, and claims to have between a -58 to -62 db signal at all times. Whenever my devices automatically switch to the RP, my download rate caps at about 40 Mbps, but upload is still at 20. If manually turn off and then turn on wifi, I then get speeds in the 140-170 Mbps area. This happens EVERY TIME it roams automatically to this RP. Also the 140-170 speed seems a little low, when on this device with this connection on either of the other 2 routers I get 350-400+ Mbps down, but I'm not overly concerned as 150 is more than enough for what ill need in the garage I just need it to be consistent.

I currently do not have the ability to route Ethernet to the garage, maybe in the future, but it is not in the scope currently.

I got the RP because the garage would top out at 100ish Mbps but would be incredibly unstable. I would get constant disconnects depending on where I was standing and the angle I was towards either router. The 86u is on the opposite side of the chimney in relation to the garage, and the 68p is in the basement with the angle to the garage being at the corner of 2 massive concrete walls.

With the RP I'm able to put it up in the garage rafters so it connects to the 86u. In the Asus app I've seen the network map show the RP connect to the 68p ONCE. I know the garage gets a better connection from the 68p, but I can't figure out how to force the RP to daisy chain to the 68p.

My questions:

- Is there a guess as to why I need to reset my device wifi Everytime I connect to the garage RP in order to get it's max throughput?
- Is 140-170 Mbps what you would expect to see as max throughput on the RP given my configuration?
- Should I factory reset EVERYTHING and reconfigure the whole network from scratch?
- If I do so, can I reload the settings I saved prior to firmware update on the 86u, or reconfigure?
- Should I switch the places of the RP-AC1900 and the RT-AC68p since the basement will have more concurrent connections and the RP is the newer device?

I've been pondering how I can relocate my devices while keeping at least 2 of them wired, but my options are extremely limited. I've tried other location placements before with the 2 routers, and what I have now was what seemed to work best for everything IN THE HOUSE.

Thanks in advance, I know this was a long one. Appreciate any help

Hey everyone,

1920s house lots of plaster, brick, and concrete. Including basement, house is roughly 1800 sq ft total between 3 floors, plus a detached garage. Neighbors on top of each other. My wife HATES wires, so they can't be seen. There is a brick furnace chimney that runs up the middle of the house.

RT-AC86U - Purchased about a year ago, lives in kitchen pantry closet immediately next to the brick chimney. Has most up to date Merlin firmware

RT-AC68P - Purchased 5+ years ago. best Buy exclusive. Was main router until 86U. Suspect this isn't working at 100% due to years of 100% use at high heat. Hardwired to the RT-AC86U. Located in the basement which is partially above ground, but surrounded by concrete. Located in center of basement. Switch connected to this to provide wired connections to PS4 and other devices for the mancave. This is on Merlin's up to date firmware

RP-AC1900 - Just received this Thursday. Not much news on it yet. Seems to replace the RP-AC68, and seems to run on same firmware as rt-ac68u (Merlin's version runs successfully). This is on a wireless connection on 5Ghz. This is located in the garage.

When I set up the new RP, I did it per aimesh setup instructions and everything went flawlessly. I DID NOT factory reset any of the devices (this may be where the issues lie) but I did update all their firmware, as well as once they were setup do a full reset if the system in order: Modem, 86u, 68p, rp.

The rp is working, and claims to have between a -58 to -62 db signal at all times. Whenever my devices automatically switch to the RP, my download rate caps at about 40 Mbps, but upload is still at 20. If manually turn off and then turn on wifi, I then get speeds in the 140-170 Mbps area. This happens EVERY TIME it roams automatically to this RP. Also the 140-170 speed seems a little low, when on this device with this connection on either of the other 2 routers I get 350-400+ Mbps down, but I'm not overly concerned as 150 is more than enough for what ill need in the garage I just need it to be consistent.

I currently do not have the ability to route Ethernet to the garage, maybe in the future, but it is not in the scope currently.

I got the RP because the garage would top out at 100ish Mbps but would be incredibly unstable. I would get constant disconnects depending on where I was standing and the angle I was towards either router. The 86u is on the opposite side of the chimney in relation to the garage, and the 68p is in the basement with the angle to the garage being at the corner of 2 massive concrete walls.

With the RP I'm able to put it up in the garage rafters so it connects to the 86u. In the Asus app I've seen the network map show the RP connect to the 68p ONCE. I know the garage gets a better connection from the 68p, but I can't figure out how to force the RP to daisy chain to the 68p.

My questions:

- Is there a guess as to why I need to reset my device wifi Everytime I connect to the garage RP in order to get it's max throughput?
- Is 140-170 Mbps what you would expect to see as max throughput on the RP given my configuration?
- Should I factory reset EVERYTHING and reconfigure the whole network from scratch?
- If I do so, can I reload the settings I saved prior to firmware update on the 86u, or reconfigure?
- Should I switch the places of the RP-AC1900 and the RT-AC68p since the basement will have more concurrent connections and the RP is the newer device?

I've been pondering how I can relocate my devices while keeping at least 2 of them wired, but my options are extremely limited. I've tried other location placements before with the 2 routers, and what I have now was what seemed to work best for everything IN THE HOUSE.

Get rid of those Asus gear...they are plagued with heat issues and wifi dropouts when used over a longer period of time for heavy duty tasks.

Only the nighthawk R7800 can withstand the heat and the heavy load you put on it. Never had speed issues with it.

ASUS is only best for laptops.

Netgear is actually dedicated Router Brand, so hands down they make better routers.

What you can do is for now get rid of one of the Asus router, and buy a NG R7800 X4s and use your Asus in repeater mode.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

My questions:

Thoughts:

A matching 86U in the garage would have been a good hedge against the wireless backhaul distance and path (about 20% better WiFi range). And would have provided hardware backup for the router.

The chimney masonry mass blocking the router wireless backhaul path to the garage is a problem worth solving, if possible. A kitchen pantry full of cans and stuff is not a good location for a router that should be central, high, and in the clear. Maybe you can relocate the router to better serve the garage node, and to be sufficient with a wireless connection to the basement node... no wires would make her happier, yes.

I would locate the garage node for best backhaul RSSI values as seen in the Wireless Log for the node MACs. Roofing in the signal path may not help. Other obstacles include masonry/brick and wire screen/mesh.

You should have reset all before configuration from scratch. Some reading: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Note that removing a node will reset it. So, from the router webUI, you can remove the nodes to reset them, reset w/initialize and re-configure the router, and then add the nodes back... without moving the nodes around. Be sure to set the basement node connection priority to wired/Ethernet.

The wireless client speed on the garage node could be subject to backhaul performance, client connection (see connection link rate speed on each client), and half-duplex Wifi... and subject to WiFi interference which can degrade throughput. Also, client could be roaming to 2.4 (slower and/or at distance from house node) and then reconnecting to 5.0 garage node when you toggle the WiFi switch/connection.

The AC1900/AC68/AC66 B1 do not support Smart Connect node band steering, so you should use separate SSIDs for each band and connect clients to desired band/SSID (manual band steering). And use fixed channels. My install notes may offer some clues.

Without knowing the component/radio differences, I'd assume the 68U and AC1900 are equivalent nodes. However, I would first revise/improve and assess the AiMesh install as you have it; then later I would swap (remove/add) the basement and garage nodes to see if the 68U makes a stronger wireless node where you need one... worth trying.

OE

Last edited:
Get rid of those Asus gear...they are plagued with heat issues and wifi dropouts when used over a longer period of time for heavy duty tasks.

Only the nighthawk R7800 can withstand the heat and the heavy load you put on it. Never had speed issues with it.

ASUS is only best for laptops.

Netgear is actually dedicated Router Brand, so hands down they make stable routers.

What you can do is for now get rid of one of the Asus router, and buy a NG R7800 X4s and use your Asus in repeater mode.

So, your advice is 'Asus sucks, use your Asus'. :rolleyes:

OE

OE
He shouldn't be depending on Asus only. I have had 2 Asus fail on me. I suggested him the Netgear so that he gets stable 5GHZ wifi signal to the furthest reach and use only the other Asus as a repeater mode.

OE
Those 2 models are very well know even today, AC68u and the AC88U, both of them had overheating issues and never gave good throughput in furthest reach of the house.
NETGEAR X4s on US firmware will easily beat the other 2 in range but unfortunately it cannot be used as a wifi repeater.

So I suggested him to replace the main router for Netgear and Asus as a repeater.

He shouldn't be depending on Asus only. I have had 2 Asus fail on me. I suggested him the Netgear so that he gets stable 5GHZ wifi signal to the furthest reach and use only the other Asus as a repeater mode.

OP did not post about an unstable WiFi signal.

OE

Those 2 models are very well know even today, AC68u and the AC88U, both of them had overheating issues and never gave good throughput in furthest reach of the house.
NETGEAR X4s on US firmware will easily beat the other 2 in range but unfortunately it cannot be used as a wifi repeater.

So I suggested him to replace the main router for Netgear and Asus as a repeater.

Everyone can always buy new equipment. OP now wants to install what he has... it's Saturday morning!

OE

I've had zero problems with my RT-AC88U that I used for over a year, was able to reach the complete opposite end of the appartment, and never had any heat issue either. What's your basis for claiming the device has overheating issue when the chip has a thermal shutdown limit of well over 100C, yet nobody has it reach even 90C?

I've had zero problems with my RT-AC88U that I used for over a year, was able to reach the complete opposite end of the appartment, and never had any heat issue either. What's your basis for claiming the device has overheating issue when the chip has a thermal shutdown limit of well over 100C, yet nobody has it reach even 90C?
This was using a third party firmware.

It definately burnt both of my radios on the router. I think it was due to cranking up the power.

Last edited:
Reaching at the complete opposite doesn't make it better, the thing with the Asus is, it's long range throughput is awful. Whereas the netgear provides much better throughput on stock firmware itself even on longer range.

This was using a third party firmware.

Irrelevant, since all the wireless code is closed source, and therefore 100% identical to the original firmware.

I think it was due to cranking up the power.

Well, if you hacked your router settings to run beyond its designed specifications, it's not the manufacturer's fault...

Reaching at the complete opposite doesn't make it better, the thing with the Asus is, it's long range throughput is awful. Whereas the netgear provides much better throughput on stock firmware itself even on longer range.

The numbers do not back your claims. Reviews shows the RT-AC88U to be right in the middle of the pack when it comes to long range performance - there is nothing "awful" in these numbers.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...3100-gigabit-router-reviewed?showall=&start=3

Irrelevant, since all the wireless code is closed source, and therefore 100% identical to the original firmware.

Well, if you hacked your router settings to run beyond its designed specifications, it's not the manufacturer's fault...

The numbers do not back your claims. Reviews shows the RT-AC88U to be right in the middle of the pack when it comes to long range performance - there is nothing "awful" in these numbers.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...3100-gigabit-router-reviewed?showall=&start=3
You are showing me a comparison of the AC88u with R8500, I was referring to the Netgear R7800 this whole time.

You are showing me a comparison of the AC88u with R8500, I was referring to the Netgear R7800 this whole time.

Doesn't change the fact that the Asus router output was right in the middle of the two other models tested at the same time, which contradicts the claim that its long range throughput was awful in general. Unless you consider all three of them to be awful, and the R7800 to be the only one with good throughput, which I seriously doubt.

f45c1f2ca200a9bdc8d4115c905464cc.jpg

Source: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ea9500-x4s-ac88u-or-none-of-the-above.44289/

OP it's upto you to decide, how you want to improve the speeds.

I'm just giving you a hint on what's good.

I have owned both the ASUS AC88U and the AC68U, while both served me well neither of the above are of match to my current Netgear R7800 in both range and speed.

Although the AC86U seems to be better, I still doubt it's capabilities since it's a broadcom based router.

Unfortunately very few Netgear routers have wifi repeater mode. R7800 doesn't have that which is one of the best in 5Ghz performance.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!