What's new

New RT-68P - keeps trying to update firmware - Update: resolved

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wizard19

Occasional Visitor
Just replaced an RT-66R with an RT-68P (66R power switch stuck in off position after 2 years, 2 months). Everything appears to be working fine with both wireless and hardwired internet access. Current firmware on 68P is 3.0.0.4.376_3850. If I check for firmware update, it says the firmware is current. However, whenever I try to login to the router to configure it, it pops up following message:

Firmware is upgrading. Please wait about 3 minutes.
Do not power off RT-AC68P while upgrade in progress.
(status bar is on this line)
In case the upgrade process fails, RT-AC68P enters the emergency mode automatically. The LED signals at the front of RT-AC68P will indicate such situation. Use the Firmware Restoration utility on the CD to do system recovery.

It eventually times out and shows the following:

Please ensure that the cable is properly connected between the router's and the modem's WAN port.
Firmware Upgrade
WAN
Update Manually:

Selecting Firmware Upgrade just repeats the firmware upgrading message.
Selecting WAN, switches me to the Internet Connection tab.
Selecting Update Manually, switches me to the manual firmware upgrade tab.
Trying to move anywhere else in the UI goes back to the "Firmware is upgrading message".

Any thoughts?

Re set to factory defaults and update it manually to .4585. May have a corupt NVRAM.

Same issue here when updating. Kind of starting to have it with Asus routers. Always problems when updating and it's a pain in the butt to reset and re-configure every time...

Did you manage to fix the problem without reset?

It's best to clear the NVRAM before and after every firmware update. I just got this router and went from .2104 to .4376 and than to .4585. Router is running fine. I know it sucks if you have a lot to reconfigure to clear the NVRAM.

Try clearing your browser cache.

Or simply update to the latest manually.

ASUS RT-AC68P Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.4585

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68P/HelpDesk_Download/

Problem resolved. Thx.
I did the update manually. I was trying to set some passwords before doing the update but that resolved everything. Right now on latest ASUS firmware 3.0.0.3.478.4585. Will update to Merlin's FW later this week. Except for the issue of constantly trying to update firmware, set up was quick. So far everything seems to be working very well.

Same issue here when updating. Kind of starting to have it with Asus routers. Always problems when updating and it's a pain in the butt to reset and re-configure every time...

Did you manage to fix the problem without reset?

You are in the minority with issues of updating the firmware. Manually reconfiguring the router after a reset to factory defaults after you have flashed the latest firmware and then minimally and manually configuring the router to secure it and connect to your ISP is the best way to take full advantage of the fixes in any new firmware.

You can also use this if your setup is more complex. But again, I would use it minimally (because the workarounds and the tweaks you made to previous firmware may not apply any more, or, even cause new issues with newer firmware).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility.19521/

I have the same issue of repeated failure to update the firmware. Resetting the router has no effect in stopping the issue. Any specific suggestions?

To be clear, I am not trying to update. When I run a browser to connect to the router I am immediately presented with a screen announcing that a firmware upgrade is in process. The upgrade always fails. When I click on, "Manual Upgrade" I get to the router interface. Current firmware is shown as 3.0.0.4.376_3853-ge8b358f. If I try to choose any option in the router interface it just goes back to the automatic firmware upgrade page.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!