What's new

New Synology Models DS411J, DS211J, DS211, DS111

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi all. First post here but have been lurking for a little while. Been reading up a little on NAS units and have narrowed it down to Synology or QNAP. Had thought I had pretty much made up my mind for the Synology DS411j but have just read this review at overclock3d and they seem to think its performance is somewhat lacklustre.

Now I am undecided once again. I really can't justify the financial jump to the DS411+ but would prefer to go for a 4 bay unit for RAID 5 backup. Would be interested to hear feedback from others on the review.

It all depends on what uses you would have for the DS411j. If you want to host a website, publish your photos, use the Download Station and all this at the same time while also streaming a couple of BluRay images then go for at least DS410 and forget about DS411j :) If you're ok with one of those tasks at each time then DS411j should handle them all right.

It does not look like there is a 1.6ghz version of the freescale processor used in the 210+ so maybe they will be going with a different architecture for the 211+.

It all depends on what uses you would have for the DS411j. If you want to host a website, publish your photos, use the Download Station and all this at the same time while also streaming a couple of BluRay images then go for at least DS410 and forget about DS411j :) If you're ok with one of those tasks at each time then DS411j should handle them all right.

Interesting point and I suppose the most I can envisage the NAS doing at any one time is downloading NZBs whilst potentially streaming 1080p content and possibly music to another part of the house (I am looking to ultimately set up a Sonos system to access an iTunes server on the NAS). The only other thing I could see it doing is also running the surveillance software to access my IP Cameras, although that would be me accessing them for the most part.

Do you think I am expecting too much from the £250-300 price range? Wondering if I should be looking at the DS411+ which has obviously great reviews on here but also maybe the QNAP TS-419P. One last question, are the QNAP TS-419P and the TS-419P+ different units or is the + just sometimes left off? So confusing some of the NAS model range labelling.

Interesting point and I suppose the most I can envisage the NAS doing at any one time is downloading NZBs whilst potentially streaming 1080p content and possibly music to another part of the house (I am looking to ultimately set up a Sonos system to access an iTunes server on the NAS). The only other thing I could see it doing is also running the surveillance software to access my IP Cameras, although that would be me accessing them for the most part.

Do you think I am expecting too much from the £250-300 price range? Wondering if I should be looking at the DS411+ which has obviously great reviews on here but also maybe the QNAP TS-419P.

Well, I think that DS411j should be able to handle those tasks. At least my DS109 used to be able to do the same except with torrent downloads instead of NZB, and DS411j has about the same processing power.

Where did you find 211+? I haven't found anything with google.

I get 367 hits for "synology ds211+" in google, 6 from the synology.com site.

edit: seems the 211+ entries have been removed from synologies webpage.

Last edited:
It seems it took sometimes to go out. No entries on synology site, only on googlecache. The actual 210+ went out on april, probably the new 211+ on april 2011.
It use a marvel cpu, the same as 211, but with more ram. It has a 92x92 fan.
I think synology want to abandon freescale cpus. So can develop on only two platform, marvel for low-mid, and atom for mid-high end.
It's a error because freescale cpu are more powerful.

It seems it took sometimes to go out. No entries on synology site, only on googlecache. The actual 210+ went out on april, probably the new 211+ on april 2011.
It use a marvel cpu, the same as 211, but with more ram. It has a 92x92 fan.
I think synology want to abandon freescale cpus. So can develop on only two platform, marvel for low-mid, and atom for mid-high end.
It's a error because freescale cpu are more powerful.

For a business it can be more of a question of how much revenue they can get in rather then what is the most powerful solution. If the freescale cpu's cost as much as atom's (or close) then the question is pretty clear (if limited resources and sales).

I have to say I was positively surprised by The folder copy test results from the ds211 review. Looking on Synologies own charts I expected it to lag quite badly behind the Atom devices yet it hangs along quite comfortably.

Searched around for this, but didn't find much. Can the ram be upgraded in these guys? I'm specifically looking at the DS211j.
Thanks
Mike

I believe the ram is soldered on the 211 series, you have to go to the atom models to be able to upgrade.

Searched around for this, but didn't find much. Can the ram be upgraded in these guys? I'm specifically looking at the DS211j.
Thanks
Mike

I have that model. It does not use SODIMMs, but rather a single 128 MB chip soldered to the system board.