What's new

New Synology Models DS411J, DS211J, DS211, DS111

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for the link. Lots of good info in the review.

It's nice to see the 2011 Synology models are getting such great reviews. Now I just have to pick one...

Well the DS111 has a eSATA port while the DS211 doesn't. Which makes the DS111 a better investment for new NAS users.

iwod,

I am with you. DS111 it is !!!

An HD204UI in a Rosewill RX-358-S BLK for interface with WIN7 Professional on a Gigabyte GA-785GMT-USB3 / Regor 250 / etc... (NTFS) (already own);

Combined with a DS111 on the LAN to the media center ... in another location ... (EXT4);

Just rip and move the Rosewill back and forth ...

Let me know your thoughts -- if any.

Don :cool:

Thanks.

The DS411j is up at Newegg as well. Given the performance results from the KG site, I think I might wait for the DS411.

I haven't heard anything about updates to the DS410, have you any info on the DS411?

Synology just updated (most of) their NAS units which use the 16bit Marvel Kirwood processors. I wonder.. will they will start on their 64bit Power PC processors units next (DS410, DS210+, DS110+) or update the Atom units to use the D525 cpu with DDR3?

BTW, The DS410 looks impressive. The DS410 is approx $110 more than the DS411J, but increases performance by 30%, has 512MB instead of 128MB RAM, adds an esata port, floating point (doesn't seem important) and adds wake on LAN. The DS410 was the 'one to get' (in my mind) when the other low cost Synology NAS was the DS410J. But nows the DS411J seems to be hitting the sweet spot for price per performance for a home NAS/media server.

Last edited:
At the risk of asking a n00b question, and before I buy a DS211, why is that?

It is just the eSATA being more useful in the future. DS111 is cheaper for an initial investment cost. And if someday you do need more or a lot more space, you can always attached something like the RX510, and external RAID storage system and connect you your eSATA.

You could also do the same with USB as well. But USB is limited to ~28MB/s. Meaning your added storage will ber very slow, while eSATA allows up to 300MB/s far exceed your Gigabit Ethernet maximum performance.

Of coz, this is just personal opinion.

The DS411j is up at Newegg as well. Given the performance results from the KG site, I think I might wait for the DS411.

The performance data for the DS411J in the Kitguru review does not provide a comprehensive picture of performance and may not give a accurate picture of how the DS411J performs in a home/small business environment.

The performance data listed on Synology's website is also generic, but provides a consistant test methodolgy to compare the Synology products.
Take a look at the Synology performance page page for the DS411J:
http://www.synology.com/enu/products/4-5bay_perf.php

A good review of the DS410J can be found at X-Bit labs:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/networking/display/synology-ds210j-ds410j.html

I'd expect the DS411J would have a 50% performance increase over the DS410J due to the higher clock rate.
Will the DS411J be 'fast enough'? Depends on your usage...

hope the links help.

The performance data for the DS411J in the Kitguru review does not provide a comprehensive picture of performance and may not give a accurate picture of how the DS411J performs in a home/small business environment.

The performance data listed on Synology's website is also generic, but provides a consistant test methodolgy to compare the Synology products.
Take a look at the Synology performance page page for the DS411J:
http://www.synology.com/enu/products/4-5bay_perf.php

A good review of the DS410J can be found at X-Bit labs:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/networking/display/synology-ds210j-ds410j.html

I'd expect the DS411J would have a 50% performance increase over the DS410J due to the higher clock rate.
Will the DS411J be 'fast enough'? Depends on your usage...

hope the links help.

Thanks Alfonz - the links certainly help. Specifically the 'photo resize' test - looks like anything that's not I/O bound is going to really push the CPU to it's limits, as evidenced by the fact that the 411j took 5 times as long to convert the photos to thumbnails as the 411+. Given that I'm going to be dealing with a lot of photos, I wonder if that's enough justification to pony up the extra $300 for the 411+.

If you plan on doing actual work on the DiskStation or use torrents, then the Atom unit (DS411+) is the fastest. This would be a fun unit to have! $300 for more processing power is cheap if you need/want it.

If you want to go low power, the DS410 is a pretty good compromise of power / performance. I think it's the floating point that's speeding up the photo processing. It also has WoL, and low idle power, so this is the green machine and it’s got good I/O throughput, like you mentioned. I've heard that Synology (or was it the Sierra club?) has created an app to run on the PC to preprocess your photo's to create thumbnails... so you can use a low power DS without impunity.

There’s lot’s of trade-offs to make. I’ve just ordered the DS211 as I don’t have massive amounts of data and wanted 24/7 operation (10W idle).

- happy hunting

I thought that 64-bit processor line is the one with the Atom processors...

Last edited:
I would like to point everyone to the new Qnap offering if they want one with eSATA port.

Hi all. First post here but have been lurking for a little while. Been reading up a little on NAS units and have narrowed it down to Synology or QNAP. Had thought I had pretty much made up my mind for the Synology DS411j but have just read this review at overclock3d and they seem to think its performance is somewhat lacklustre.

Now I am undecided once again. I really can't justify the financial jump to the DS411+ but would prefer to go for a 4 bay unit for RAID 5 backup. Would be interested to hear feedback from others on the review.