What's new

New to MoCA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Neither of those amps will pass MOCA 2 signal if you are having to route through them for a start.
@degrub had it right based on where your amplifiers are installed, as the built-in MoCA filter in each of the amps will block any MoCA signals from traveling between the input and output ports of the amps. (see attached for a tweak to your diagram to highlight the issue)

modified.png
What you'll need to do is replace the 3-way splitter, and "PoE" MoCA filter, in the outside junction box with the 5-port amp (MVRA-502B w/ built-in "PoE" MoCA filter), and use appropriately-sized MoCA-compatible splitters (e.g.) in place of the amps in the Attic and Basement to feed your rooms. The 9-port MVRA-902B amp would go unused.

You (or your cable tech!) would need to remotely feed power to the 5-port amp using a power inserter, connecting this coax line to the amp's Output 1, as required. The modem coax run could be connected to the passive output port.

This configuration would allow for a whole home MoCA network, enabled by a MoCA adapter installed at the modem/router location. You could then install a MoCA adapter at the XBOX One/Fire TV location to connect to the MoCA network.

@degrub had it right based on where your amplifiers are installed, as the built-in MoCA filter in each of the amps will block any MoCA signals from traveling between the input and output ports of the amps. (see attached for a tweak to your diagram to highlight the issue)

What you'll need to do is replace the 3-way splitter, and "PoE" MoCA filter, in the outside junction box with the 5-port amp (MVRA-502B w/ built-in "PoE" MoCA filter), and use appropriately-sized MoCA-compatible splitters (e.g.) in place of the amps in the Attic and Basement to feed your rooms. The 9-port MVRA-902B amp would go unused.

You (or your cable tech!) would need to remotely feed power to the 5-port amp using a power inserter, connecting this coax line to the amp's Output 1, as required. The modem coax run could be connected to the passive output port.

This configuration would allow for a whole home MoCA network, enabled by a MoCA adapter installed at the modem/router location. You could then install a MoCA adapter at the XBOX One/Fire TV location to connect to the MoCA network.

Thank you very much for your time and patience! Is there a recommended power inserter? I'd rather not involve Comcast if that can be avoided and would prefer to do this myself if possible.

Is there a recommended power inserter? I'd rather not involve Comcast if that can be avoided and would prefer to do this myself if possible.
Not off the top of my head, but my recommendation would be to check with Antronix to ensure compatibility with the MVRA-502B -- and to confirm the power inserter's MoCA compatibility.

You may want to run the following suggested configuration by Antronix when confirming the power inserter to pair with the MVRA-502B.

mrroboto007 MoCA.png

Notes:
  • Recommended MoCA splitters are Holland GHS-PRO-M series. (see here)
  • Downsize the secondary splitters to the degree possible to minimize signal loss, rather than creating splits for unused coax runs.
  • The 3-way splitter in the Attic can be unbalanced or balanced, as needed; a balanced splitter is recommended unless a particular run requires less loss.
  • MoCA adapter with RF/STB Out pass-through port assumed; recommended MoCA adapter would be Motorola's bonded/extended MoCA 2.0 MM1000 (see here)
  • Cap unused amplifier ports with 75-ohm terminators (see here)

Last edited:
You may want to run the following suggested configuration by Antronix when confirming the power inserter to pair with the MVRA-502B.

Notes:
  • Recommended MoCA splitters are Holland GHS-PRO-M series. (see here)
  • Downsize the secondary splitters to the degree possible to minimize signal loss, rather than creating splits for unused coax runs.
  • The 3-way splitter in the Attic can be unbalanced or balanced, as needed; a balanced splitter is recommended unless a particular run requires less loss.
  • MoCA adapter with RF/STB Out pass-through port assumed; recommended MoCA adapter would be Motorola's bonded/extended MoCA 2.0 MM1000 (see here)
  • Cap unused amplifier ports with 75-ohm terminators (see here)
Thank you very much! I'm glad I found this forum.

Is there a recommended power inserter?
I received the following response from Antronix when asking about their ARPI-2000M power inserter (Amazon):
-------------------
Re: "MoCA" insertion loss for ARPI-2000M power inserter?

our standard slpitters and power inserters pass mocasignals.
the remote power port will pass moca signals like thr other deop ampport to ports do.
rg
-------------------​

Add'l notes/thoughts...
  • I'm guessing that your existing DC power adapter from either MVRA amp would work in conjunction with the power inserter.
  • The otherwise unused coax run from the Office to the Attic could be used to supply power to the power inserter, if a power outlet isn't available in the Attic ... or, perhaps, if you'd want the amp powered from a UPS in the Office.
  • Some concern remains Re: the MoCA compatibility of the power inserter and the coupler (attenuation at MoCA frequencies, 1125-1675 MHz); cable signal strength delivered to 1st floor rooms (will be slightly lower than current setup).

Fingers crossed; please let SNB know how it goes if/when you give it a try. Good luck.

I received the following response from Antronix when asking about their ARPI-2000M power inserter (Amazon):
-------------------
Re: "MoCA" insertion loss for ARPI-2000M power inserter?

our standard slpitters and power inserters pass mocasignals.
the remote power port will pass moca signals like thr other deop ampport to ports do.
rg
-------------------​

Add'l notes/thoughts...
  • I'm guessing that your existing DC power adapter from either MVRA amp would work in conjunction with the power inserter.
  • The otherwise unused coax run from the Office to the Attic could be used to supply power to the power inserter, if a power outlet isn't available in the Attic ... or, perhaps, if you'd want the amp powered from a UPS in the Office.
  • Some concern remains Re: the MoCA compatibility of the power inserter and the coupler (attenuation at MoCA frequencies, 1125-1675 MHz); cable signal strength delivered to 1st floor rooms (will be slightly lower than current setup).
Fingers crossed; please let SNB know how it goes if/when you give it a try. Good luck.

Thank you for all of the information you've provided. I will definitely let you know how this turns out when I have the opportunity to implement this change.

FYI... There *is* a solution that would work with the MVRA amps left where originally located, but it would require a number of additional MoCA adapters to skirt the built-in MoCA filters of the MVRA amps. Lemme know if you want to know more.

edit: p.s. Something like the following, using a pair of MoCA adapters at each amp, connected to each other via Ethernet, to bypass the network connection around the built-in "PoE" MoCA filter in the MVRA amps. You'd only need the bottom pair if the goal is only to get the Xbox location off of the Powerline connection (well, in addition to the MoCA adapters at the router and the Xbox).

mrroboto007  brutal workaround.png

Last edited:
FYI... There *is* a solution that would work with the MVRA amps left where originally located, but it would require a number of additional MoCA adapters to skirt the built-in MoCA filters of the MVRA amps. Lemme know if you want to know more.

edit: p.s. Something like the following, using a pair of MoCA adapters at each amp, connected to each other via Ethernet, to bypass the network connection around the built-in "PoE" MoCA filter in the MVRA amps. You'd only need the bottom pair if the goal is only to get the Xbox location off of the Powerline connection (well, in addition to the MoCA adapters at the router and the Xbox).

Hi, sorry for the delayed response. First, I want to thank you for responding and providing further insight into how I can get MoCa to work within my current Comcast/Xfinity setup. Second, I have put this on the back burner as I debate whether, from a cost perspective, it's worth adding 4 -6 MoCa devices, live with my current setup or get clever with wire runs. I will definitely let you know how I make out when I decide which path to take. Thank you again!

Hi, sorry for the delayed response. First, I want to thank you for responding and providing further insight into how I can get MoCa to work within my current Comcast/Xfinity setup. Second, I have put this on the back burner as I debate whether, from a cost perspective, it's worth adding 4 -6 MoCa devices, live with my current setup or get clever with wire runs. I will definitely let you know how I make out when I decide which path to take. Thank you again!

On Amazon you can buy MOCA adapters for less than $12 each so it probably going to break the bank to try a few Actiontec MOCA adapters. I believe the are reconditioned but when I set a pair up for my son they worked fine.

Buy a pair and try them out. If they work buy however many you need to optimize your LAN.

I believe the Cap'n is referring to the WCB3000N adapters, >here<, currently just $12 per -- but would limit your MoCA segment throughput to around 170 Mbps (the maximum for MoCA 1.1). Note that the WCB3000N also lacks the RF pass-through port relied-upon in my later workaround diagram (here), so you'd need to employ a MoCA-compatible 2-way splitter in place of the built-in pass-through -- and possibly an additional MoCA filter to ensure isolation of MoCA networks on either side of the amplifiers.

Similar to the following...

mrroboto007  extra-brutal workaround.png
p.s. Note that the 2 MoCA adapters in the Attic would only be necessary if you were looking to deliver MoCA connectivity to the coax lines connected to the outputs of the Attic's amplifier.

Last edited:
or get clever with wire runs
I believe your best solution remains to relocate one of your amplifiers and retire the other, per my earlier post and its associated notes, >here<. The solution's cost can be dramatically reduced (though correspondingly limiting throughput) by following the WCB3000N advice above.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!