What's new

Newbie looking for a router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

breaktimeplayer

Occasional Visitor
Hello all
I am in the process of cutting ties with my glorified dsl internet serivce from at&t, and switching over to comcast for high internet speeds. I placed an order today, for a modem from comcasts docsis device compatibility and capability list which is the arris sb6141.

My home is approx 2400sq ft, and the devices that will be on the wifi network are as follows: gaming laptop, 2 cell phones, play station and a Ipad at any given time.
I need to state my networking skills are very limited, but will learn whatever is necessary to get the job done. What router do you recommend?
Thank you in advance for your help

Wath is your budget?
100 to 300 but im looking for a router that gives me the performance for the best price. Ive read new stuff coming out could be game changers in the near future, if thats so it maybe worth getting something to get me by now. I leave that to you guys youre up on this stuff more than i am

I think ive settled on the blast package from comcast which they say up to 75 mbps. Im not sure if i need more than that, for the stuff that will be accessing the wifi. The next package up is upto 150mbps.

I would not consider anything less than the RT-AC1900P in your case then.

Your ISP speeds (and the load on the router) will only increase, not go down. ;)

100 to 300 but im looking for a router that gives me the performance for the best price. Ive read new stuff coming out could be game changers in the near future, if thats so it maybe worth getting something to get me by now. I leave that to you guys youre up on this stuff more than i am

Go for RT-AC88U then, its under 300USD, it has everything you want from a router.
If you have the money, this is the router to get.

Someone mentioned looking at routers from TP Links, what your opinion on those?
Go for RT-AC88U then, its under 300USD, it has everything you want from a router.
If you have the money, this is the router to get.
I will check out this router, what kind of firmware can be ran on this or is stock suffient? Is this overkill for my circumstances? Will i regret this purchase because of cost, if something better comes along in the next few months? Otherwise i could get something to get me by now, and grab the newer model in the near future. Just spit balling, im not up on whats coming down the pipe line in the workd of routers. If someone could enlighten me on the subject id appreciate it.

I would not consider anything less than the RT-AC1900P in your case then.

Your ISP speeds (and the load on the router) will only increase, not go down. ;)
The RT-AC 1900 is my starting point, and i agree my speed requirement will only go up. Not sure if thats a good thing or not o_O:eek:

Note that the model I'm referring to is the Asus RT-AC1900P (exclusive to Best Buy right now). This is the most powerful and current version of the venerable RT-AC68U series with updated RF components and still able to run RMerlin's firmware too (or the forks thereof).

Other AC1900 class models need not apply. ;)

Note that the model I'm referring to is the Asus RT-AC1900P (exclusive to Best Buy right now). This is the most powerful and current version of the venerable RT-AC68U series with updated RF components and still able to run RMerlin's firmware too (or the forks thereof).

Other AC1900 class models need not apply. ;)
gotcha ;) ok whats the difference between merlins and forks thereof? lol
Are you also telling me a AC-3100 series is over kill?

Ok whats the difference between the AC-68u, 68a, and 68p? prices range between 153 to 180

Last edited:
So far everyone has recommended Asus devices. I'm down with that. Performance-wise they are very competitive, stock software is good and I like the user interface.

But what I really love is Asus comes with a built-in traffic monitor. I've found it very useful for when I'm trouble shooting performance problems (and/or tweaking configs).

Merlin looks and feels like Asus stock but with more than a few fixes and tweaks. I like it because of its add-on to the stock traffic monitor. Traffic monitor gives a line chart showing total traffic. Merlin allows you to ascertain which devices are contributing to that traffic (which you probably wouldn't need ... due to your low device count you'd probably know what's doing what).

Best of luck!

Last edited:
gotcha ;) ok whats the difference between merlins and forks thereof? lol
Are you also telling me a AC-3100 series is over kill?

Ok whats the difference between the AC-68u, 68a, and 68p? prices range between 153 to 180

You're not giving model numbers in your quote above, but in general, the RT-AC68U started life over 3 years ago with a dual core processor at 800MHz. In the interim, the model has been updated through various versions to an 1GHz dual processor model and other, under the hood changes to the latest BB exclusive RT-AC1900P with 1.4GHz dual processors, updated RF design (including power amplifiers, etc.) which has been reported by others to match or exceed the very latest Asus routers ('AC3100, 'AC88U, 'AC5300) in range and throughput.

No, I don't believe the RT-AC3100 is overkill (a budget is usually a personal decision/made up amount. :) ).

What the latest Asus routers (which the 'AC3100 is part of) offer is not only the latest RF designs (hardware and software), 4x4:4 configurations and the most powerful dual core processors popularly available (1.4GHz), but they also offer double the RAM of the previous generation routers and double the NVRAM too.

If you pocket can handle the RT-AC3100, like I mentioned in my first post in this thread; that is the one I'd be considering. :)

RMerlin's firmware is a fork of the stock Asus firmware.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-for-asus-routers.7846/

A fork of RMerlin's work is the excellent john9527's contribution in the following link.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-update-for-374-43-available-v20e3.18914/

Another one to consider is the also excellent hggomes firmware (you'll need to PM him for a download link).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-fork-rmerlin-firmware.21489/

What is the difference between them? No need to repeat what they've already said themselves; read the changelogs for each and decide for yourself which is appropriate for your needs.

Any one of them are better than the stock Asus firmware, imo (as long as your router model is supported, of course). :)

You're not giving model numbers in your quote above, but in general, the RT-AC68U started life over 3 years ago with a dual core processor at 800MHz. In the interim, the model has been updated through various versions to an 1GHz dual processor model and other, under the hood changes to the latest BB exclusive RT-AC1900P with 1.4GHz dual processors, updated RF design (including power amplifiers, etc.) which has been reported by others to match or exceed the very latest Asus routers ('AC3100, 'AC88U, 'AC5300) in range and throughput.

No, I don't believe the RT-AC3100 is overkill (a budget is usually a personal decision/made up amount. :) ).

What the latest Asus routers (which the 'AC3100 is part of) offer is not only the latest RF designs (hardware and software), 4x4:4 configurations and the most powerful dual core processors popularly available (1.4GHz), but they also offer double the RAM of the previous generation routers and double the NVRAM too.

If you pocket can handle the RT-AC3100, like I mentioned in my first post in this thread; that is the one I'd be considering. :)

RMerlin's firmware is a fork of the stock Asus firmware.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-for-asus-routers.7846/

A fork of RMerlin's work is the excellent john9527's contribution in the following link.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-update-for-374-43-available-v20e3.18914/

Another one to consider is the also excellent hggomes firmware (you'll need to PM him for a download link).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-fork-rmerlin-firmware.21489/

What is the difference between them? No need to repeat what they've already said themselves; read the changelogs for each and decide for yourself which is appropriate for your needs.

Any one of them are better than the stock Asus firmware, imo (as long as your router model is supported, of course). :)
Thanks for the indepth response. I got caught up with the AC-1900 series I forgot that you did mention the AC 3100 series

Last edited:
The best buy version of the RT-AC68U is $200, while the RT- AC3100 and RT-AC88U is approx $280. I will splurge and spend the extra 80 for the 88U.

The best buy version of the RT-AC68U is $200, while the RT- AC3100 and RT-AC88U is approx $280. I will splurge and spend the extra 80 for the 88U.

Good decision. $80 to upgrade to current router tech is well worth it. Particularly when viewed in the sense of the benefits offered over the next few years. :)

Good decision. $80 to upgrade to current router tech is well worth it. Particularly when viewed in the sense of the benefits offered over the next few years. :)
Now the interesting part what to do with it when it gets here lol. Ive read so much its a blur, not entirely sure which firmware to install or how to. @L&LD are you aware of a guide that you could direct me to to? Thanks for everyones input and help:)

I need to get usb thumb drives, I havent bought any in years. Whats a good brand and a good size to have on hand?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!