What's new

No controller required WAP suggestions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I assume you have your APs close enough so the signal does not drop and not too close to where they will not roam.
At the point midway between them, I'm seeing RSSI of about -70dBm or -72dBm from each AP, depending on which device I measure with. So that's right about where iOS would think about switching anyway. I've been considering adding a third AP in the middle of the apartment, but I now see it would accomplish very little unless I can get the phone to switch sooner than the midpoint --- hence my interest in 802.11k/v. Meanwhile it seems like a lot of the problem is slow reassociation; I can see that that's order of a second or so. These Zyxel APs claim to have 802.11r, but they're very clearly not actually doing it, so I suppose that's another thing that's not enabled in standalone mode.

At the point midway between them, I'm seeing RSSI of about -70dBm or -72dBm from each AP, depending on which device I measure with. So that's right about where iOS would think about switching anyway. I've been considering adding a third AP in the middle of the apartment, but I now see it would accomplish very little unless I can get the phone to switch sooner than the midpoint --- hence my interest in 802.11k/v. Meanwhile it seems like a lot of the problem is slow reassociation; I can see that that's order of a second or so. These Zyxel APs claim to have 802.11r, but they're very clearly not actually doing it, so I suppose that's another thing that's not enabled in standalone mode.
You could move one just temporarily to where the middle AP would be and test to see if VOIP roaming works. This way you would know for sure.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!